The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #23
88lowrider

Re: "Phantom" Parasitic Draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined View Post
A few gremlins I have fixed on these over the years.

Cd player stuck trying to eject a disc, cycling over and over.

Power seat wiring and or switch sticking.

Power door lock actuator hanging up.

Engine and key off release alt belt, rotate pulley while holding the metal end of a screwdriver near the shaft coming out of the alternator and see if it suddenly becomes a magnet.

You mentioned puling fuses, did you also pull the tin resettable breakers?

A good laser thermometer can detect temp change in wiring drawing power.

Not hard to disconnect the computer to rule it out.

Disconnect harnesses one at a time to rule out a group at a time.
Still getting ready for the appraisal so I have had to put my attention elsewhere, And, I messed up.
I took the meter out and hooked the battery back up. Was checking it from time to time during the day, nothing, no draw.
Then it happened, the battery was pulled down and she would not start, pulled the battery cable off and the clip on the meter came off and lost power to the system, hooked it back up and no draw.....I missed it.

So, that won't happen again.

Radio was replaced and now on its own power switch.

No power seats but does have the power door locks and Yes, several years ago, found one that would stick. I was lucky and was able to find some NOS switches to replace them as they are hot all the time.

I have replaced and checked both the key switch and switch on the steering column under the dash. Check and set the adjustment rod.
I did Not test the Alt to see if turns into a magnet, just disconnected it, several times.

I did not pull all the fuses, just several at a time and no on the tin breakers. I was hoping to find the draw happening and start pulling.

I have the Fluke 62 Max + IR Thermometer which is pretty accurate but have not used it on the wiring, good idea, if I get it to start drawing.

This is the second computer since this problem has started. Last time I sent it to the fellow back east and had it rebuilt and tested.

The main harness for the engine compartment, I have not removed.

If I can just Catch it Drawing, I have a better chance on finding it of course. I have the hood light both door light switch's disabled so opening them to start testing and not cause any more draw.
88lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote