The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
blazer2007

One inch wheel spacer for rear ?

I would like to to move rear tires out a inch on a 2 wheel half ton 5 stud truck but was looking around the net there were a lot of pics of vehicles on the side of the road with their tire hanging off. Is this a bad idea ? Is on a 8 inch rally rim
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
hewittca

Re: One inch wheel spacer for rear ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I would like to to move rear tires out a inch on a 2 wheel half ton 5 stud truck but was looking around the net there were a lot of pics of vehicles on the side of the road with their tire hanging off. Is this a bad idea ? Is on a 8 inch rally rim
It depends on what type of spacer you use. I run 1/2" spacers on my truck with longer Moser studs and have no issues with loose wheels or vibrations. Once you go above 1/2", you are into the realm of adapters which bolt to your existing studs and then have their own studs that you bolt the wheel to. These are what usually cause trouble. I've seen it quite a few times where the lugs holding the adapter on loosen up behind the wheel and then sheer off the studs. It goes against my better judgement to use these, but there's no shortage of people running them that will say, "I've never had an issue with them". What year truck are you putting these on? If it's a pre-69 truck, you could always swap out to a '69-up rear end which is 3/4" wider per side.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
sweetk30

been running 3" spacer each side on my k30 cab&chassie rear to make it reg width single rear . been doing fine for about 10 years now no problems . few sets of tires and rims over the years .

i always put a dab of blue locktight on the threads and go 10ftlb over spec . so if a lug nut is going to come loose it will be the wheel one . not the spacer one .

got mine off ebay . nothing special brand wise .

the ones on the sides of the road are prob just people who dont re-check lug nut tourqe after install . and this is real important with fresh new lugs and rims/spacers as they need to seat in .

another good rule i was told years ago was bare min 5 -6 full turns of a lug nut on the stud or you need longer studs or fix the problem so you dont need spacers .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
It depends on what type of spacer you use. I run 1/2" spacers on my truck with longer Moser studs and have no issues with loose wheels or vibrations. Once you go above 1/2", you are into the realm of adapters which bolt to your existing studs and then have their own studs that you bolt the wheel to. These are what usually cause trouble. I've seen it quite a few times where the lugs holding the adapter on loosen up behind the wheel and then sheer off the studs. It goes against my better judgement to use these, but there's no shortage of people running them that will say, "I've never had an issue with them". What year truck are you putting these on? If it's a pre-69 truck, you could always swap out to a '69-up rear end which is 3/4" wider per side.
It,a 1980, I could go to a 10 inch rim but I don,t think my 255x70x15 would look right plus the tires are brand new and I,m tired of buying tires, I had to buy 10 tires this year for my vechicles
Old 11-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Tork?

Buy good USA made adapters where they tell you what the metals are and avoid the ebay made in China crap those are the ones you see broken off. Also probably a good idea to replace your existing wheel studs when bolting on adapters.
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
blazer2007

thanks for all the advice but I think it would be a better idea not to use them.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
jkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
been running 3" spacer each side on my k30 cab&chassie rear to make it reg width single rear . been doing fine for about 10 years now no problems . few sets of tires and rims over the years .

i always put a dab of blue locktight on the threads and go 10ftlb over spec . so if a lug nut is going to come loose it will be the wheel one . not the spacer one .

got mine off ebay . nothing special brand wise .

the ones on the sides of the road are prob just people who dont re-check lug nut tourqe after install . and this is real important with fresh new lugs and rims/spacers as they need to seat in .

another good rule i was told years ago was bare min 5 -6 full turns of a lug nut on the stud or you need longer studs or fix the problem so you dont need spacers .
2XX On this have 1" spacers on my 80 blue Loctite and extra torque I pull my wheels every few months and polish the back of them always check the lugnuts never have had one of the coming loose
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote