The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
cppursell

Fuel tank spillage

Hey peoples, a quickie for you:

My behind-the-seat fuel tank spills out of the top past the fuel cap, especially when full. The opening slightly bent, which is causing the problem, and my cap can't handle it. It's been doing this for a while but I've only started noticing it since my paint job. I tried fixing the dent by hammering at it, but it's no better. Fuel is spilling on my cab and my stepside fender. The only real solution I see is to get a new tank, but is there another way to fix this problem?
cppursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Fuel tank spillage

a better gasket on the gascap
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Nice truck, did you keep it the same color? I'm a big fan of light blue on a stepside!

If I understand your problem the filler neck is bad where the cap attaches to it. The solution then is to replace the filler neck. You won't have to replace the entire tank.
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 11-14-2010 at 01:25 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
cppursell

Okay, so I would need to cut off my existing filler neck, and buy that kit you attached. Where can I buy that kit, I don't see it on the LMC truck catalog?

THANKS for showing me that.

Reply to other post: I tried a couple new gas caps, but they both wouldn't seal.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
cppursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Nice truck, did you keep it the same color? I'm a big fan of light blue on a stepside!
Yes I kept it the same color, and it looks great. I actually don't have any pictures right now, but I'm going to update my profile pic sooner or later.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

No cutting needed.

The tank has a metal tube welded to it, a rubber hose fits over it, the fuel filler slips thru the hole in the cab and into the rubber hose.

The fuel filler tube you need isn't shown in the LMC catalog. But I am sure there are a couple thousand in salvage yards.

You might try emailing Tony Smith at 4-5-6chevytrucks@sbcglobal.net I am sure he can hook you up with one.

Tell him lakeroadster sent ya!

Last edited by lakeroadster; 11-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
cppursell

I'll take your word for it, but looking at my tank it looks like a solid welded pipe right out of the cab to the gas cap. I don't see the rubber hose you're talking about.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Well it would appear that I have lead you astray. I assumed (read: ASSUME) that your tank was the same as my 65. I just looked at the LMC catalog and I am wrong! I hate it when that happens.

I apologize for the confusion.

I had a problem with the valve cover oil fill cap sealiong tight on my old Ford Roadster and made a washer using a piece of hard plastic, basically a donut. I then cut through one side of the donut and slid it behind the cap gasket. That added jsut enough thickness to get the stock seal to work.

You might try that, or try doubling up on gas cap gaskets to see if that might work? Or maybe making your own gasket out of something a bit thicker and softer? If your using the stock cap the seal may be hard and compressed due to age to the point that a new one would help, like CDOWNS eluded to in an earlier post.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Last edited by lakeroadster; 11-14-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
cppursell

Well, I have tried two new gas caps, one that locks and that didn't work, then the one I'm using now which has one thin rubber gasket. I can certainly try to create a thicker make-shift gasket.

I still think your original idea of replacing the filler tube would work. I would need to cut off my existing filler tube, then find a replacement tube and join with the rubber neck hose. I sent your friend an email to see if he has one.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppursell View Post
Well, I have tried two new gas caps, one that locks and that didn't work, then the one I'm using now which has one thin rubber gasket. I can certainly try to create a thicker make-shift gasket.

I still think your original idea of replacing the filler tube would work. I would need to cut off my existing filler tube, then find a replacement tube and join with the rubber neck hose. I sent your friend an email to see if he has one.

Thanks!
I drilled and tapped mine just inside the cab and ran a vent hose down through the floor. I put a check valve from a boat on it so it bleeds pressure but not gas.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Dark Knight

I have the same problem. Every time I make a hard right, gas sloshes all over my fresh paint. The lip on my filler neck is bent. I was thinking about using a slide hammer with one of those J attachments, but never got around to doing it. I wonder if they even make one narrow enough to do that?
-And a '66 Ford Mustang- 200 I6, C4 trans, rust bucket

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -FDR (and maybe rust too)

You've gotta be able to stop and steer before you can go fast!
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Would it be possible to put a black rubber "boot" on the outside of the filler neck? I have this problem and that was a thought I had but havent been ambitious enough to try it.
nasqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
cppursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I have the same problem. Every time I make a hard right, gas sloshes all over my fresh paint. The lip on my filler neck is bent. I was thinking about using a slide hammer with one of those J attachments, but never got around to doing it. I wonder if they even make one narrow enough to do that?
Same story with me. The lip is bent, and I tried hammering it straight a bit, but didn't improve things. I never really noticed this until AFTER my paint job... I'll let you know if I get this filler tube neck thing worked out.