The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
FrostDesigns

Sectioned factory cross-member rack and pinion issues

I'm hoping this issue has been discussed and solved but I can't seem to find anything pertaining to it. I'm going to run a 2" sectioned factory crossmember and I'm wondering what options there are for rack and pinions. I know No Limit has a setup for close to a grand and I'm wondering if anyone has figured out any cheaper options, thanks 🤘🏼
FrostDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Sectioned factory cross-member rack and pinion issues

Nope, thats pretty much the option you have. Otherwise you can locate a mid 2000's rack assembly (iirc like a 2005 truck) and disassemble the casement. You can try to split the aluminum casing and flipping the half with the input shaft. Thats basically what needs to happen to have the steering input be on the correct side and clocked to accept the steering shaft.

In a perfect world all you need is the ~$150 junkyard rack and a tig welder...but we all know it ends up being a bit tougher than that in actual execution. Exactly HOW much needs to but cut and clocked in the casing would be the larger challenge.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
FrostDesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Nope, thats pretty much the option you have. Otherwise you can locate a mid 2000's rack assembly (iirc like a 2005 truck) and disassemble the casement. You can try to split the aluminum casing and flipping the half with the input shaft. Thats basically what needs to happen to have the steering input be on the correct side and clocked to accept the steering shaft.

In a perfect world all you need is the ~$150 junkyard rack and a tig welder...but we all know it ends up being a bit tougher than that in actual execution. Exactly HOW much needs to but cut and clocked in the casing would be the larger challenge.
I have a friend that is currently trying to pull something like that together but he isn't 100% sure if he can get the geometry correct. I was curious if any one had any other "bingo" solutions worked out yet and I'm just in the dark about them. Looks like it's time for that second job! Thanks for the help man!
FrostDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

what are you working on? what truck and crossmember? I see your narrowing 2" but what will your finished width for a rack need to be..from rod end to rod end......just wondering if you could use a rack from a car (camaro, vett or such) or similar narrow rack to work
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote