The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2023, 10:28 PM   #1
hogfarm

54 running dimensions

I'm have a hard time getting my truck done. I took the truck to the body shop about 4 weeks ago, They were painting the rear fender and fixing a couple rock chip. While it was there I asked them to install the fenders. He called and told me I had the wrong running boards? what the heck. I test fitted the new fenders without the running boards,and they were fine.What do I have? could someone give me the dimensions of the stock running boards.
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:31 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 54 running dimensions

Were the running boards modified for the wide fenders?

I've got a couple of of left running boards (two left, no right) out here that I can measure one of in the morning. If need be I can take one down to you or we can figure out how to get it to you for show and tell.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:08 AM   #3
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Were the running boards modified for the wide fenders?

I've got a couple of of left running boards (two left, no right) out here that I can measure one of in the morning. If need be I can take one down to you or we can figure out how to get it to you for show and tell.
That would be great, I need to get this truck done before Maryhill
Old 07-19-2023, 09:48 AM   #4
leegreen

62 1/2 inches:
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  26.3 KB

My belief is there are only 3 sizes: regular shortbox, long box and flatdeck
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:52 AM   #5
dsraven

wasn't your truck assembled not that long ago? what changed, rear fenders? without going through your build thread I cant remember other than it looked pretty good before.
did the shop say where they didn't fit? too long, too short, not fitting the angle at the rear fender?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:55 PM   #6
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
wasn't your truck assembled not that long ago? what changed, rear fenders? without going through your build thread I cant remember other than it looked pretty good before.
did the shop say where they didn't fit? too long, too short, not fitting the angle at the rear fender?
I can't leave things alone. My truck was all together and looked nice, but I did not like the 2" wider than stock rear fenders (that were on the truck when I bought it), so I narrowed the rear end and changed the fenders.I did fit the fender before paint,but the running boards were off. I went and looked at my truck today, I can see that the running boards seem to be a little wide, unless you are looking for it it's hard to spot.I will replace the running boards,and put the others out in the bone yard.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:55 AM   #7
mr48chev

Straight down the top of the back I get Pretty close to that 62-1/2 that Lee green got.

The second shot is the distance from the back to the bracket that the running board bolts go in. it is straight on about 1/4 inch down the slot for the bolt.
df
Next is the board it's self. We can figure out how to get that down to you if you need it either having somone coming this way pick it up and haul it back or I can take a run down there.

Worse case, I'll pull the running boards off the 48 and take them down. I'm using long bed boards when I stretch the cab.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:53 PM   #8
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Straight down the top of the back I get Pretty close to that 62-1/2 that Lee green got.

The second shot is the distance from the back to the bracket that the running board bolts go in. it is straight on about 1/4 inch down the slot for the bolt.
df
Next is the board it's self. We can figure out how to get that down to you if you need it either having somone coming this way pick it up and haul it back or I can take a run down there.

Worse case, I'll pull the running boards off the 48 and take them down. I'm using long bed boards when I stretch the cab.
I'm picking up my truck in the morning, I will get some pictures
Old 07-21-2023, 06:42 PM   #9
mr48chev

OK pictures usually tell a better story.

Old 07-22-2023, 08:44 PM   #10
hogfarm

Here are a couple pictures
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2023, 01:12 AM   #11
leegreen

I'd say someone cut the corner off to fit the older 2" wider fenders and reshaped the edge:
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  52.8 KB

Putting a corner back on it would not be much harder than taking the corner off was. Rest of the board looks great
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:50 AM   #12
dsraven

since the old boards are already in good shape but simply need the extra piece added I would just fab a new part shaped to fit and weld it on there. probably easier than prepping an old set that needs de-rusting etc. you could buy a new set too i guess.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:04 PM   #13
mr48chev

Using my rusty old yard sale framing square it shows that the tip of the outside edge of the running board is 2-3/4 inches out from the end of the top back side of the running board.

It's probably more prudent to take a cut disk/saw and cut just the end plate loose so that you can shape that back out to the fender and make a patch to fill the space.
If you have a profile gauge you can get the proper profile off the fender.

That may be the least amount of work in the long run. Then it is just the finish work after weldig in the patch and prep and paint. Mine will need to be stripped before the get nice paint on them.

In other news, it is hot here and the mountain is out in the sunshine today. Mt Adams that is west of me and NW of Hogfarm.
Attached Images

Last edited by mr48chev; 07-23-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:29 PM   #14
dsraven

Probably what I would do as well. If the rest of the board is in good shape just reshape the end that's not right.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:29 PM   #15
hogfarm

it's pretty clear to see what happened now. I wanted to narrow my truck 2" on each side. It has turned into a very expensive and labor intensive project.But I sure like the way it looks. I still need to repair the cross member. Next week when my friend gets back from vacation, we plan on putting truck on his lift, we have a plan, not hard to fix. But I will make sure it never breaks again. I have added a lot of HP. I will be able to look under the running boards and see what was done, but that can wait until winter, need to drive it a few times this summer. And all my other projects, building a cabin on my property, hauling two dump truck loads of saw logs each day, then mill the lumber. How did I ever have time to go to work.
And thanks everyone for all the info,you guys make my life easy