The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
rainamy

Bed cargo volume?

It's raining quite hard here today, and my long bed is parked outside (of course) so I cant try to measure it.

Does anyone know from some old ad brochure or the like that the cargo volume of the bed box is? Assuming a flat, non mounded load, and not adding slats to the stake pockets. I've got no idea of the height, the width/height of the wheel tubs, and the height from floor to bedrail.
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Bed cargo volume?

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.truckinamerica.com/toppers/BedSize.htm
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
rainamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.truckinamerica.com/toppers/BedSize.htm
Close..it gives 99.25L x 72W x 23T not sure what the wheelwells lose on it. Also not sure if those are external dimensions... the 8'3.25" length reads like headboard to oitside tailgate...

I'm looking at moving loose earth materials (gravels, dirts, etc) in the bed but also on the highway so mounded loads will be lost. Was going to plywood lid it at the bedrail, but not sure on capacities.

Depending on volume per trip, might be more effective to change my plans.

Maybe 96 x 66 x 23.... minus... 2 cu ft per wheelwell?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

Sun is sort of out here. My 75 bed is 72"W x 20"H x 98" L. Not allowing for the wheel wells and figuring the length as a even 8', I came up with a 80 cubic foot capacity assuming filled to the top of the bed rails.

Unless you are hauling very light stuff, you should worry more about running out of weight capacity before you run out of volume.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
raceman6135
Dino burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Unless you are hauling very light stuff, you should worry more about running out of weight capacity before you run out of volume.
This.

One cubic yard of gravel is usually between 2400 and 2900 pounds, which is well over one ton.

An 8' truck box filled to the top is going to be between 2.5 and 3.0 cubic yards, so if the gravel is 2400 pounds per cubic yard x 2.5 cubic yards capacity = 6000 pounds, which FAR EXCEEDS your truck's cargo capacity.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
rainamy

Mixed use.

Looking at mulches, light organic heavy dirt, things like that.

Tires have a heavy load rating, factory heavy half had a 6200# gross weight rating... bigger springs already in there, etc.

I wouldnt fill it up with all gravel, but some of that other stuff, that I could/would.

I figure it's rated about 2100# cargo capacity as it sits. Going even a couple hundred over that short distance.... not a big issue either, just be careful
Old 04-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
franken

Half a ton is 1000 pounds. How do you get to over a ton capacity?
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #8
100%Chevy

I have a backhoe and would never put over a 1/4 yard in a 1/2 ton truck!
Just because it will hold it doesn't mean you should try to drive it.
Funny things happen.Like the frame bends in half.Steering gets real sloppy.Tires will give side to side,causing loss of control.
I'm not going to mention trying to stop it in a hurry!
Lightweight material like mulch is no problem.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #9
tucsonjwt

For reference, I have a 3/4 ton 83 C20 with full floating 14 bolt 4:10 rear axle. It is a camper special. With me in the drivers seat (~ 200 lbs.) the truck weighs 5600 lbs., and gross vehicle weight rating is 8600 lbs.) So, effective maximum payload is 3,000 lbs.

If you load dirt or stone in the bed of a long bed pickup truck, then one ton will be about 10"-11" deep, maybe to the top of the wheel wells. If you know the payload capacity of your truck then you can estimate how much you can carry in a 1/2 ton. I suspect your payload is in the 1500-1800 lb range, but probably on the lower end of that range. That would be for a truck in OEM condition (good shocks, springs, tires, etc.)

If you rear tires are bulging and the rear bumper is close to the ground you have too heavy a load in your truck. Your steering will also feel very light with an overloaded truck. Hauling two small loads is always better than hauling one big load.

I have a dump hoist on my truck and I can loaded to the top of the cab with yard waste, tree limbs, household trash, etc. and it is nowhere near my payload capacity (3000 lbs. for a 3/4 ton). If I load dirt or stone I can only load to the top of the wheel wells and still dump it, because the effective lifting capacity of the hoist is only one ton.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
franken

Well, 3/4 ton is a pretty big step up vs 1/2 ton. 1 ton is significant as well. Saying a heavy half is good for over a ton is a stretch.
Then again I put 2 skids of shingles on a 3/4 ton snugged up against the cab (flatbead). New Ford guy was very jealous.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Killer Bee

I pulled this off with my half ton on aftermarket springs and air bags..

got lucky on a 2200lb < 5mi dump run but wouldn't recommend it..

Old 04-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
rainamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Half a ton is 1000 pounds. How do you get to over a ton capacity?
Have you ever heard of a heavy half package from the late 70s? Do some research.

The tag on the door jamb rates the truck 6200 gvwr from the factory. We've also added helper springs in the rear.

On the scales my truck weighs in around 4100.

Do the math.

On a side note, started hauling the smoking wood back to stack at the house. We had a lot of old peach and pear trees, 50 years old or more, get damaged in winter storms (especially the 18"er). The have been dropped and waiting to bring back. Look at the size of the trunk pieces, pretty big for a Pear.

(Truck is parked on a hill, didn't actually sit that low when level)
Attached Images

Last edited by rainamy; 04-23-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #13
rainamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Well, 3/4 ton is a pretty big step up vs 1/2 ton. 1 ton is significant as well. Saying a heavy half is good for over a ton is a stretch.
Then again I put 2 skids of shingles on a 3/4 ton snugged up against the cab (flatbead). New Ford guy was very jealous.
C10 and C20 are the same frame thickness and strength. ... difference is location of rear shocks (inside vs outside the rails). Otherwise you could unbolt the c20 suspension and toss it in the c10. .. it's just the difference in the axles, springs, those goodies, and a 12 bolt is not that bad of a rear.

When springs and such are done up different, that 1/2 ton gets pretty close to the c20 in capabilities..