The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

It's Time??? Need Opinions

Well, I've known for a while that at some point I would be loosing the "up-keep" battle and would be looking for a newer truck. So the wife and I have been looking for the past few months. Even though it's just the two of us, she wants the extended cab, so I'll be loosing my 8' bed (an extended cab, long box is just a bit much - espectially in the city).

So we were out last night and found a nice one - - only problem - - it's a GMC Sierra. Now, I realize they are both built by General Motors, but I have always been a Chevy (bow-tie) guy, and have always liked the Silverado more than the Sierra - especially the front clip/grill designs.

The truck we are looking at is a white 2006 extended cab, Z71 Sierra Nevada Edition. Approx. 48,000 miles and 1300 running hours on the 5.3L V-8. All the bells and whistles inside and overall a very nice looking truck except for the "slightly more rounded" front clip.

Everyone tells me "you'll get used to it", but I'm finding it hard to make the loyalty switch.

Can anyone help me out here?!?!?!?

Last edited by Zilverado; 09-17-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: It's Time??? Need Opinions

ill help by putting this in the right forum

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks Man.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
deyomatic

No difference at all, especially from the driver's seat. My work truck is an '06 Silverado, my personal is an '05 Sierra. The only difference I can think of is that the shift indicator on the Sierra is digital. Everything else is the same. All the parts are the same, too. IMO, the GMC seats and ride quality are better, but that's because my work truck has more miles...HARD miles. I also like the GMC grill better, but that's just a matter of taste.
Not only do I think you'll get used to it, I don't think you'll know the difference.

Good luck.
deyomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
JohnC

It really comes down to what you want. Personally if you are spending the money get what you want. If you like the Chevrolet front clip better than the GMC, then get a Chevrolet. You don't want to always walk out to your truck, and think man I don't like that as much as the Chevrolet.

Now from a difference in truck stand point. They are the same. The only difference I can tell you from my 03 GMC Sierra, and my cousins 03 Chevrolet Silverado is the front clip differnce. The different steering wheels, one saying GMC the other having the Bowtie. Then the name on the tailgate. Other than that they seem to be identical to me.

I am with you though. I do like the look of the Chevrolet front clips on the 03-06 trucks better than the GMC.

Good luck on the search, and keep us updated on what you find.

Last edited by JohnC; 09-17-2009 at 03:59 PM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
It really comes down to what you want. Personally if you are spending the money get what you want. If you like the Chevrolet front clip better than the GMC, then get a Chevrolet. You don't want to always walk out to your truck, and think man I don't like that as much as the Chevrolet.

Now from a difference in truck stand point. They are the same. The only difference I can tell you from my 03 GMC Sierra, and my cousins 03 Chevrolet Silverado is the front clip differnce. The different steering wheels, one saying GMC the other having the Bowtie. Then the name on the tailgate. Other than that they seem to be identical to me.

I am with you though. I do like the look of the Chevrolet front clips on the 03-06 trucks better than the GMC.

Good luck on the search, and keep us updated on what you find.
I agree. It all comes down to what grille you like the most. I have never liked the GMC grilles since the 88-up body styles came around until the brand new GMC's came out.

I had a 2001 GMC Suburban that I bought off a friend to help him out when he lost his job and always wanted to swap out the front end. I sold it back to him later after he got back on his feet and now have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. They are identical as far as function and quality as far as I could tell. It all comes down to which one you like the looks of most.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks for all the replies - but the search is over and the deciosion made. After loosing out on a couple of earlier deals (waiting too long), we pulled the trigger on the Sierra this evening. Got it for $19,900 (Canadian), which was their asking price, but they also threw in the electronic rust module.

After taking if for another longer ride we were sold - very quiet solid truck. I had some trouble engaging the 4WD low, so I asked the sales guy about it. We got it to go in, but then it would not come back out - obvioulsy a solenoid problem - possibly from not being used.

So, that is being fixed tomorrow, along with a minor windshield chip and rust module. Then it's off to the insurance place to get my plates - - OUCH. It'll definitely cost more to insure than my '86.

Now the last question is (and I may start a new opinion thread)... Do I buy an extended warrantee. We could get 2 yr, 24,000 km (15,000 miles) for about $2100. but I'm not sure it's worth it. Any thoughts?

Oh, and here she is...
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
deyomatic

I had the same problem with 4WD Low one time...turns out the tranny has to be in Neutral, and Park doesn't count as Neutral. I started to panic when the transfer case shifter locked up.

Look into the warranty coverage and see what they'll replace. I had no idea they were that expensive. My father purchased an extended warranty on the truck I have now and I looked at the terms and it doesn't seem very extensive. On the one hand 48K isn't that much, but on the other hand, a lot of people on here have problems with things that shouldn't be worn out after only 48k.

BTW, that GMC front end looks nice!

Last edited by deyomatic; 09-18-2009 at 12:06 AM.
deyomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
...BTW, that GMC front end looks nice!
Thanks for the thoughts man. As for the loo, it's definitely growing on me and it's only been a few hours, and it's not even in my driveway yet...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
Gray Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
No difference at all, especially from the driver's seat. My work truck is an '06 Silverado, my personal is an '05 Sierra. The only difference I can think of is that the shift indicator on the Sierra is digital. Everything else is the same. All the parts are the same, too. IMO, the GMC seats and ride quality are better, but that's because my work truck has more miles...HARD miles. I also like the GMC grill better, but that's just a matter of taste.
Not only do I think you'll get used to it, I don't think you'll know the difference.

Good luck.
Yessir...my thoughts exactly. I prefer the GMC grill by a long shot. Ride quality and interior comfort are excellent.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilverado View Post
Thanks for all the replies - but the search is over and the deciosion made. After loosing out on a couple of earlier deals (waiting too long), we pulled the trigger on the Sierra this evening. Got it for $19,900 (Canadian), which was their asking price, but they also threw in the electronic rust module.

After taking if for another longer ride we were sold - very quiet solid truck. I had some trouble engaging the 4WD low, so I asked the sales guy about it. We got it to go in, but then it would not come back out - obvioulsy a solenoid problem - possibly from not being used.

So, that is being fixed tomorrow, along with a minor windshield chip and rust module. Then it's off to the insurance place to get my plates - - OUCH. It'll definitely cost more to insure than my '86.

Now the last question is (and I may start a new opinion thread)... Do I buy an extended warrantee. We could get 2 yr, 24,000 km (15,000 miles) for about $2100. but I'm not sure it's worth it. Any thoughts?

Oh, and here she is...
I would skip the warranty for the price they are asking and the mileage limitation. It would take something pretty major to pay it back in such a short time period.

We paid less than that for a 3 year 36,000 mile extended on my 03 Tahoe. After a year and a half they have only fixed about $600 worth of stuff in a leaky intake and a bad axle seal so it may have not been a money maker for us unless something big breaks in the next 18 months. With the 4L60E I didn't want to take any chances as I know how expensive they are to fix / replace.

Since they are fixing things before you pick it up take a look a the intake valley and see if it has any oil residue on it. That was one of the signs we had that the intake gaskets needed changed out before it started tripping codes.

If you can put it on a scanner see what the long term fuel trim numbers are and how much vacuum it pulls at idle. These were things that were off before any oil started showing up on the intake valley.

I picked up a connection cable and a converter box to allow me to hook my laptop up to the ALDL port on the Tahoe for about $70. With that and some free software you can see most of the info the PCM sees and also read, look up and reset trouble codes. Cheaper than one trip to the mechanic to read and reset a check engine light.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
JohnC

Nice purchase man. I agree I wouldn't buy the warranty. I just rolled 102,000 miles on my 03, and the only problem we have had with it since we bought it was the gauge cluster. To me the extended warranties aren't as useful as they used to be. The newer cars seem to have fewer problems, and go longer before they start having problems than they used to.

I do have a question though. What is an Electronic Rust Module? I guess from being down south I have never heard of this.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
...I do have a question though. What is an Electronic Rust Module? I guess from being down south I have never heard of this.
Thanks for all the input Guys - I'm starting to lean away from the Warranty.

As for the Rust Module, they go by many different names, but the principle is the same. I am no expert, but it's a 12V module with magnetic contacts that energize the metal parts of the vehicle. Escentially positively charging the steel and preventing the oxidation (rusting) process.

The technology is just breaking into the automotive market, but has been used widely in industrial settings to protect exterior steel (i.e. northern fuel tank farms, etc.). It is proven in those areas, but the automotive area is still a ??? But for the price, it's worth a try.

Like I said, there are many brands, and this is not mine, but here is some reading...

http://www.ruststopnorthamerica.com/default.htm

Last edited by Zilverado; 09-18-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
JohnC

That's way cool. I can't believe they haven't thought of this earlier.