The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
lutronjim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dunwoody,Ga
Posts: 205
67 volt gauge pinout

I am trying to rework an old gauge dash and am planning to install a 67 volt meter instead of the amp gauge.

I saw one that used the noninsulated pin (top pin in photo) as ground and the left insulated pin (botton left pin in photo) as switched 12v. Makes one wonder what the botton right pin is for.

Have I got this correct? Thanks
Attached Images
  
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King
 
TBONE1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Junction City, OR
Posts: 4,731
Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutronjim View Post
I am trying to rework an old gauge dash and am planning to install a 67 volt meter instead of the amp gauge.

I saw one that used the noninsulated pin (top pin in photo) as ground and the left insulated pin (botton left pin in photo) as switched 12v. Makes one wonder what the botton right pin is for.

Have I got this correct? Thanks
Yes, the center upper stud is ground and the one on the left (in your photo from the back side)will get you battery voltage. I am not sure what the other stud is for myself but do know it will peg the gauge over to 18 volts if you apply 12 volts to it.

Make sure to eliminate power from your amp gauge through the circuit board. pins #1 and #12 on the connector. Make sure they have no power with key on.

Let me know if you need more help. I make volt gauge conversions kits for $100.00 plus shipping if interested. It will look like a factory volt gauge for a 67-72 truck.
__________________
Contact me on all of your gauge cluster needs. I specialize in restoration, repair and parts sales for 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks. email me at tbonegarris@yahoo.com

Also see my facebook page, classic gauge and cluster.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret
 
VetteVet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 8,178
Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutronjim View Post
I am trying to rework an old gauge dash and am planning to install a 67 volt meter instead of the amp gauge.

I saw one that used the noninsulated pin (top pin in photo) as ground and the left insulated pin (botton left pin in photo) as switched 12v. Makes one wonder what the botton right pin is for.

Have I got this correct? Thanks
Yes here take a look.



http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...geSwapR1-0.pdf
__________________
VetteVet

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sherman, ME
Posts: 1,998
Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Yes, the center upper stud is ground and the one on the left (in your photo from the back side)will get you battery voltage. I am not sure what the other stud is for myself but do know it will peg the gauge over to 18 volts if you apply 12 volts to it.
Just in case anyone is wondering, that other stud (on the far right in lutronjim's first pic) is basically an intermediate connection point between the external resistor and the gauge's internal coil. If 12V is applied there, it bypasses the current limiting resistor and pegs the gauge.

Also, the stud on the left (the one that is used for the +V connection) does not have any direct internal connection to the gauge. It simply connects to one side of the resistor. So this arrangement puts the resistor in series with the gauge's internal coil.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret
 
VetteVet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 8,178
Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Just in case anyone is wondering, that other stud (on the far right in lutronjim's first pic) is basically an intermediate connection point between the external resistor and the gauge's internal coil. If 12V is applied there, it bypasses the current limiting resistor and pegs the gauge.

Also, the stud on the left (the one that is used for the +V connection) does not have any direct internal connection to the gauge. It simply connects to one side of the resistor. So this arrangement puts the resistor in series with the gauge's internal coil.
Thanks Ray, Yes the OP did ask that question and I thought it was connected to the internal coil but I couldn't find any confirmation of that so I couldn't answer the question.
__________________
VetteVet

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
lutronjim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dunwoody,Ga
Posts: 205
Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Another question. I looked about what I have to cut to install gauge. Beside cutting the ears I will have to slice off the bottom to match the original amp gauge I think to let dash light illuminate the gauge.

Can anyone tell me what the need of the 'hood' on top of the original gauges was for?

thanks
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King
 
TBONE1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Junction City, OR
Posts: 4,731
Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutronjim View Post
Another question. I looked about what I have to cut to install gauge. Beside cutting the ears I will have to slice off the bottom to match the original amp gauge I think to let dash light illuminate the gauge.

Can anyone tell me what the need of the 'hood' on top of the original gauges was for?

thanks
The "hood"s just there to direct light. If there was no hood then you could see light from the back with no shielding.

I have done what your doing before and it is a pain. My suggestion is the drill out the small rivets on both and transfer your stock amp gauge face to the volt gauge. I use 4-40 stainless screws with nuts to secure. It will set in the same spot as the volt gauge face but fit your cluster like it should. You can also use the stock amp gauge needle. You would need to apply power and ground, then meter that. I use a 10 amp battery charger and a volt meter to see what the voltage actually is and place the needle accordingly.

What you end up with is a volt gauge set up that looks like a stock amp gauge.
__________________
Contact me on all of your gauge cluster needs. I specialize in restoration, repair and parts sales for 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks. email me at tbonegarris@yahoo.com

Also see my facebook page, classic gauge and cluster.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
lutronjim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dunwoody,Ga
Posts: 205
Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Thanks

I like the idea of having the printed volts on the face. I will try to tinker and use your suggestion as backup.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King
 
TBONE1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Junction City, OR
Posts: 4,731
Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutronjim View Post
Thanks

I like the idea of having the printed volts on the face. I will try to tinker and use your suggestion as backup.
If you look at it, it will drop down about an 1/8 inch from where the rivet holes are. I cut a lot of the bottom as it is not needed and you cant see down into it that far when it is in the dash, or even when it is out. If I remember, you have to raise the tunnel in the middle for the needle. If it was a hot rod, they would call it "channeling" the gauge face. I also cut everything on the top up until it starts the hood portion.

If you need any, I may have some extra 76-87 volt gauge faces. I throw most of them out now. If I don't have any now, I will soon and you could mess around with some different ways to modify it to fit.

From my experience, you will never get the gauge face to look right in the hole without cutting and moving the face on the gauge.

Hope this helps you.

Take care,
Tom
__________________
Contact me on all of your gauge cluster needs. I specialize in restoration, repair and parts sales for 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks. email me at tbonegarris@yahoo.com

Also see my facebook page, classic gauge and cluster.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com