The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
louis1911

Blue Seven Two

Hello, Blazer crew! I've used this site extensively to help me complete several projects on my on '72 Blazer and I wanted to extended my gratitude to all of you for the information you've posted on the site. You'll be excited to know that I use the search function often and have managed to get several things completed without posting random questions.

In January of this year I found my Blazer in the Portland Oregon area via Craigslist. Based on the paperwork I have the Blazer also spent some time in the state of Nevada. I had the Blazer shipped to me so I could begin the project. Needless to say, I still have a ton of work to do but I wanted to share my pictures with the site in appreciation for the great information that everyone has provided. My Blazer did not have any signs of life when it arrived, the gracious truck driver helped me push the Blazer off his trailer and I later had it towed to my garage.

Here is what I've done with the help of this site.
-New battery (hey, I like small victories)
-New gas tank
-New fuel sending unit
-New gas filler hose (I had the original tank filler neck, I'm lucky!)
-New fuel line rubber hoses
-Trace all wiring (everything works now except AC/Heat, radio and
windshield washer)
-New master cylinder, proportioning valve, calipers and wheel cylinders
-New turn signal switch
-New period correct steering wheel (Eh, not so sure about it)
-Rebuilt Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carburetor (did it myself)

The most exciting experience was working with the engine. I bought the Blazer with the understanding that it did not run and had a dead number eight cylinder. Here is what I did with the help of this site.

-Found top dead center
-Found firing order
-Verified I had spark
-Corrected the layout of the plug wires with the distributor
-Installed a new manual fuel pump
-Traced vacuum lines

I threaded the fuel line into my newly rebuilt carburetor and turned the motor about 15 cranks and it ran! Okay, I make it sound easy, my knuckles will tell you a different story.

I've learned that the members on this site already have tremendous knowledge but if I can shed any light on anything feel free to ask questions.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this site, I look forward to learning more from each of you.
Attached Images

louis1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Blue Seven Two

Congrats on the progress so far - you are doing great!

I've also learned quite a bit from this site and documented my builds with pictures so I could ask questions and get feedback from others...

After awhile- your posts will be used by others as they get started on these trucks - so take lots of pictures and keep the site informed with your blazer build.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote