The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #51
BLT gmc

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Dazza, how were you able to get the mounts on top of the lower frame rail? Bruce
Posted via Mobile Device
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #52
jeffahart

New gear came in the mail today. Good news on the gear, it has a seal installed on the inner bore. So, disregard my verbiage in post #50 where I say there is no seal on inner gear bore to shaft. I was happy to find I was wrong. No good specs on the gear when I bought it.

When I got the gear it became apparent what to do, though you do have two choices.

1) Surface collar of new gear down to same length as original gear and use old style small shaft seal only.

2) Bore the case to accommodate the new bigger size seal.

I ran the case down to the machine shop this evening and had the case milled to 1.745 (just shy of 1 3/4". The new seal is hard rubber and not metal cased, so I opted for a bit tighter tolerance.

So now I will order the Western Motors 8933 motor.

The gear is Pierce Sales Motor Drive Gear (PS654)
seal is motor seal (PS654)
and woodruff key (PS654)

So the cost to get off the old 10 spline motor:= $30 for the new gear and $30 for the case milling. Plus some change for the seal and woof woof key.

So about $140 to upgrade off the 10 spline. So the price of the 8933 is $83(free shipping) plus the $60 for gear and mill work. Try to buy a 10 spline for that!

Here's some pics.

New and Old gears.
Name:  20160309_142640.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  45.9 KB

New gear had shaft seal installed already.
Name:  20160309_142608.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  28.4 KB

New and old gears with seals. The old gear is shorter and stops at the transfer so the seal is same diameter as the gear. The new gear is longer and has a fatter collar the runs through the case.
Name:  20160309_181547.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  34.4 KB

Case milled for new bigger seal.
Name:  20160309_181643.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  44.4 KB

Inside view with big seal and new gear.
Name:  20160309_181854.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  38.0 KB
Old 03-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #53
dazza

Just back in town...

Bruce, I found the easiest way to maneuver this or the sidewinder was to loosely mount the the brackets where I wanted them to be, then I use a hydraulic cart that I'm lucky enough to have available to me to raise the winch into place. With this winch set down having the gear box facing up, I slowly raise the cart up and as it contacts the brackets, it pretty much rolls forward into place.
For future reference, I tried both front and rear brackets on top of lower frame rail but could not get it to align properly. The only success I had was with front bracket on top and rear underneath. I'm content with how secure it feels and if I thought I'd be doing some serious pulling with it, I'd probably give it a few hits with the welder, for CDO sake anyways!

Jeff, It's been a few days since you've posted, looks like you have it sorted. Is it mounted yet?
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #54
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
Just back in town...

Bruce, I found the easiest way to maneuver this or the sidewinder was to loosely mount the the brackets where I wanted them to be, then I use a hydraulic cart that I'm lucky enough to have available to me to raise the winch into place. With this winch set down having the gear box facing up, I slowly raise the cart up and as it contacts the brackets, it pretty much rolls forward into place.
For future reference, I tried both front and rear brackets on top of lower frame rail but could not get it to align properly. The only success I had was with front bracket on top and rear underneath. I'm content with how secure it feels and if I thought I'd be doing some serious pulling with it, I'd probably give it a few hits with the welder, for CDO sake anyways!

Jeff, It's been a few days since you've posted, looks like you have it sorted. Is it mounted yet?
I'm waiting for the motor in the mail. I didn't want to spend on the motor until I could see the gear. buying the gear was a gamble, I wasn't positive what it was going to be. But when I get the motor I will clean parts and assemble.

Also, I am happy with under frame mount. The 7/16 grade 8 bolts are fine. Initially I tried to fit it inside the rails because I assumed that's where it mounted. But, if your putting massive force on the bolts during winching operations, I don't think over or under matters. Just my thoughts, and I'm feeling good about under mounting.

I'll post more pics when I get the motor so the smooth shaft change over is verified and put to rest for future reference.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:19 AM   #55
dazza

I've also started going through my photos and posting for reference if anybody needs. So far, np205, sm465, and winch. A lot of duplicates but different angles just in case, I've often found what I'm looking for in the background of a picture that I didn't even know was there!

---> Hickey Winch
---- ----
Old 03-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #56
jeffahart

OK, I got the new smooth shaft motor in the mail today. I ran out this evening to see if it fit. I will have to admit the waiting has been a bit nerve wracking for me being that I ran out last week and had the case milled based on the gear alone.

But, the motor fits fine with the gear, now I can complete clean up and assemble. A relief.

Here's some pics. I also included the two electric motor specs from Western motor. Just for easy reference for the next guy or gal.

Everything fit... so far
Name:  20160314_185518.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  39.4 KB

The old 10 spline and new smooth shaft
Name:  20160314_185748.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  35.6 KB

Here's the specs for both motor form Western Motor. Also, I want to point out that the raised ring diameter(3") and the shaft length(1-7/8") is same for the 10 spline... even though it's not stated on the MBJ-4301 spec.
Name:  Winch Motors.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  77.0 KB

Last edited by jeffahart; 03-14-2016 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Because I'm lame and hit submit instead of Attach Image
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #57
jeffahart

Quote:
I've also started going through my photos and posting for reference if anybody needs. So far, np205, sm465, and winch. A lot of duplicates but different angles just in case, I've often found what I'm looking for in the background of a picture that I didn't even know was there!

---> Hickey Winch
Thanks for that link and all the images. I'm already using it as reference for reassembly.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:17 AM   #58
dazza

Excellent, nice to hear.

You received that motor quick! I'll have to make a note in regards to Western Motor, I had never heard of them until now.

I've been looking for a good solenoid location under my hood and keep thinking of your compact setup...
---- ----
Old 03-15-2016, 01:56 AM   #59
jeffahart

Quote:
Excellent, nice to hear.

I've been looking for a good solenoid location under my hood and keep thinking of your compact setup...
I'm on the fence if I'm going to mount the compact to the end of the case. I have to pull wire for the remote plug anyhow, it can't stay underneath; That would be ridiculous to try to reach under there to hook up the remote. So I'm thinking under hood for the solenoid, and I'm the sure about the remote plug.

Where did you mount your remote plug?
Old 03-15-2016, 02:02 AM   #60
jeffahart

Quote:
Excellent, nice to hear.

You received that motor quick! I'll have to make a note in regards to Western Motor, I had never heard of them until now.
Oh, also... I did get it quick. I ordered from DB electrical and they have a warehouse in California. I site Western Motors because they are the Big Dog. I called them. They have the 10 spline, they have everything. But DB was a bit cheaper for the smooth shaft motor and easier for me the consumer. Western is a supplier. I also called DB to verify the model, then pulled the trigger on Amazon. Too easy!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #61
dazza

I'm not using a remote plug, mine's bluetooth! haha, I wish, maybe I'd better get an app going for that! I was looking to maybe mount it next to the winch were there is extra space then realized (and maybe it's part of why you are not going with the compact) how low it would be, and could get very wet, very quickly.
Messing with the sidewinder so much recently, I assumed my remote plug was built in to the box as the sidewinder's is, but I had a look and forgot that is not the case. The older, much thinner plastic solenoid box doesn't have one. I may just use one of the sidewinder boxes as they are the same dimensions. I may fab one up myself. If you need dimensions let me know.

---
Attached Images

---- ----
Old 03-16-2016, 12:44 AM   #62
jeffahart

Today I started cleaning things up and some other perfunctory chores. But while I was at it I decided to add zerk fittings to both ends of the shifting shaft on the clutch housing. Why? There are no plugs or seals on the shaft ends. And no bushings. So grease is really the only thing to seal out water and such. And with no grease fitting no grease!

I had purchased a gasket and seal kit from Pierce. It was $25 and I need seal any way so why not get the gaskets. Well, the transfer gasket holes did not line up on my case. Not sure if the pierce transfer is different or it is just poorly stamped. At any rate I had to pound out a gasket. I use the side of a ball-peen and razor. Also, a good tip my dad and I use to clean up the holes in your gasket is to keep different size expended casings from your firearms. .22, 30-30 ect. You can pound a clean hole using the brass shells. I always hated a messy edge from just shoving the bolt through the gasket paper.

Added grease fittings.
Name:  20160315_164734.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  38.0 KB

Pierce transfer gasket holes do not line up, so don't count on that one.
Name:  20160315_180944.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  30.1 KB

Pounding out transfer gasket.
Name:  20160315_174308.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 03-16-2016, 01:28 AM   #63
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Also, a good tip my dad and I use to clean up the holes in your gasket is to keep different size expended casings from your firearms. .22, 30-30 ect. You can pound a clean hole using the brass shells. I always hated a messy edge from just shoving the bolt through the gasket paper.
Very nice, I keep thinking I want to order some leather punches but I don't need to do it very often so I haven't pursued it. The casings are perfect.

How far does your clutch handle move to engage or disengage? I thought it was supposed to go a full 90º but mine only seems to go about 30.
---- ----
Old 03-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #64
jeffahart

I finished assembly. It went pretty smooth except that the case is aluminum and bolt holes are stressed from years of stress or whatever. I chased all the holes. I came out unscathed except for one bolt hole. One mounting hole on back side of the spur case could not handle the big 34 ft lbs and supn. Oh well, I'll hit it with some JB weld later on an drill and tap it again, no biggie. Also, the Pierce seal and gasket kit for $25 was a bust. I had to make all big gaskets myself because theirs did not match up, so all I got out of the kit was two seals and three small gaskets, rip off!

Also, I took some time to take the brushes out of the old 10 spline motor and reassembled it... and it works now. Great, it's no good to me now. But, I'm kinda glad it went on the blink because now I know how costly they are to replace.

Filled case and transfer capacities and let it set a few hours with no leaks, bench tested and installed. Now I need to get a fairlead and cut a hole in the bumper.

Filled capacities and no leaks
Name:  20160318_100228.jpg
Size:  31.6 KB

Bench testing
Name:  20160318_175142.jpg
Size:  36.6 KB

Installed
Name:  20160318_184033.jpg
Size:  28.0 KB
Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #65
jeffahart

So the winch is officially ready for recovery action.

Today I wired up the winch and wound up line.

I put the solenoid on the driver side right above the horn. Not sure if I'm going to get another battery. I like this location.

Now I need to cut four holes in my bumper for the clevis mounts, fairlead and a hole for the remote plug.

solenoid
Name:  20160319_123200.jpg
Size:  37.8 KB

Wired motor
Name:  20160319_121902.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  28.6 KB

Remote plug wire lengthened to reach through bumper
Name:  20160319_123227.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  23.6 KB

Clevis mounts mocked up
Name:  20160319_162328.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  32.7 KB

Ready for action
Name:  20160319_171801.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  53.0 KB
Old 03-20-2016, 01:27 AM   #66
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Ready for action

That looks badass my friend. Very nice.

Kinda like it without a bumper!

So I went to install my skid plate today and when I held it up in place I was like, wtf? I thought for sure the back end mounted to the crossmember... but it's not going to reach. Unfortunately I wasn't taking too many pics at the time because I wasn't planning on doing a full CDO work-over of my truck. I don't recall another bracket but will have to look through my things.

What I did do the other day while looking for things to do, instead of what I should have been doing, was make a quick skid plate template. Just because I had this thick roll of malleable shower liner next to me along with a heat gun, I laid it out and 10 minutes later had this template. The material is a bit soft to hold the backend curve, but the front third came out excellent and it should be pretty easy to make a steel one from this. And like many little, "I wonder how easy it would be to..." projects, I don't think I will ever use it, so if it will help you, I can roll it up and drop it in the mail.

---
Attached Images

---- ----
Old 03-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #67
jeffahart

Quote:
That looks badass my friend. Very nice.

So I went to install my skid plate today and when I held it up in place I was like, wtf? I thought for sure the back end mounted to the crossmember... but it's not going to reach.

---
Bruce mailed me a schematic for the skid plate. I had been wondering about how to mount the rear of it. It's been on my mind since the first time I test fitted the winch. Post a pic if you have one. But I kinda like seeing the drum and having access.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #68
jeffahart

Quote:

Kinda like it without a bumper!

---
Ya, that was my initial thoughts also. Plus I really like having access to the drum. When I got the winch my first instinct was to build a bumper to get the winch up higher,which would require it to stick out, like you usually see. But I really like it tucked back inside.

Now I'm back to considering building a minimalist iron bumper. I always liked the builtin iron hawses, like on a deuce and half and the old Power Wagons.

I may go that route still, especially since the PO cut the fenders for big mudders. The cut fenders would fit the look of a custom iron bumper. I still plan to fix the fender some day when I paint. But hey, this thing is more of a hobby for me than anything else, so I'm likely to change things up.

I would make a cross between these two below. One's a deuce ones a power wagon. Notice how the iron is attached for hawse, I really like that.

A deuce bumper
Name:  s-l1000.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  48.0 KB

A Power Wagon bumper. It bottom winds but still check out hawse method. Plus these bumpers leave an open center section, which is what I'm really looking for.
Name:  Winch.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  51.1 KB
Old 03-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #69
dieseldude4bt

I always liked the power wagon ones.
I have one that i keep thinking I might put on my truck instead of the Koenig that is on there now, it has been on there 26 years with only one failure osan upgrade isn't really needed but it would be cool
Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #70
dazza

Jeff, here's a shot of the skid plate/winch from see-ten's post about an article regarding Hickey's C10. I just need to find a pic as to how it's (skid plate) mounted in the rear.

---
Attached Images

---- ----
Old 03-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #71
dazza

One thing I noticed about the article though, the truck shown racing doesn't have the same bumper as the picture I copied and posted. It's hard to see but I don't really see the winch either.
---- ----
Old 03-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #72
jeffahart

Quote:
One thing I noticed about the article though, the truck shown racing doesn't have the same bumper as the picture I copied and posted. It's hard to see but I don't really see the winch either.
Thanks for posting the link, nice article.
Ya, the photo of the truck with the winch is a K and not the race prepped C.

The information on the skid plates from this era is somewhere between sketchy and non-existent. Back then everyone made their own bumpers for winches. That's probably why we're not finding many examples.

I guess we just need to build some drop blocks(or whatever makes sense) off the cross member so the back of it doesn't flipper flap.

I'm going to build the skid plate when I have some time. But, I doubt I will keep it on. I just want to complete the setup, I've gone this far. But for running the winch, I really like to have access to the drum. Once you put the skid plate on you can't even see how your spooling. Plus I like seeing the winch in general. It's my Picasso at this point, and I want to see it!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #73
dazza

I'll let you know when I get the skid plate on, somewhere here, in this garage is the answer... it will reveal itself I'm sure because it wasn't flipper flapping when I started this project!
---- ----
Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #74
jeffahart

Quote:
I'll let you know when I get the skid plate on, somewhere here, in this garage is the answer... it will reveal itself I'm sure because it wasn't flipper flapping when I started this project!
Cool, you'll probably find some brackets somewhere you forgot about!

I got my fairlead it the mail this week. I'm going to hack some holes in my bumper this weekend and get the bumper back on.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #75
jeffahart

I cut slots in the bumper Saturday for the fairlead, clevis mounts, and remote plug.

I used the extra Long D-ring/Clevis Mounts from Chassis Unlimited. They mount with 3/4" high strength bolts. I also used a cheap steel Smitty Built fairlead off amazon, mounted with 1/2" stainless bolts.

Tip on cutting the bumper. If your bumper is chrome don't try to scribe or pencil in lines. The lines get lost in the mirrored reflections on the chrome. So, if your cutting close to the lines your eyes can pickup a lot of static. Tape out the square. The bumper is pretty thin, as far as metal goes, so you can cut it nicely with a jigsaw. Just drill a couple starter holes, jigsaw as close as you can. Dremel to fine tune then clean up the corners with a hand file.

Here's the completed bumper.

Now I need to make an extended clutch lever to come up through the top of the bumper. Otherwise I'll always have to reach way underneath to switch the lever to engage or free spool.

Holes cut out.
Name:  20160326_173237.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  30.2 KB

Competed bumper install with winch.
Name:  20160327_161932.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  43.0 KB

extended clevis mount
Name:  20160319_152440.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  27.2 KB