The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #76
focusedontheprize

Re: "Dixie" 1988 Chevrolet V30 3+3 Dually

Monday night was nice here. I finished removing all the helper spring brackets and excessive rivets that were on the frame. I also removed the top shock mounts to move them and install them with grade 8 hardware instead.

Next on the list is mocking up the trailer hitch that arrived last night and sourcing a sway bar for the rear. After that I will install Air Lift's kit for the helper bags.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #77
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Those rail ends do look ROUGH.
They do and will need some work. Unfortunately I don't know what happened back then and if it was a in-the-farm fix or what, but we will make it right.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #78
LT7A

Oh I see: The old 3 casters and a jack trick. Good work, and I think you will be glad you got the "back of house" dialed in.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:54 AM   #79
MTCK

I think it’s update time! How’s the project coming?

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #80
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
I think it’s update time! How’s the project coming?
Things have been moving along on the truck, however I was in the process of changing jobs and did not have access to a laptop. I received it earlier this week and will update where it is.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #81
focusedontheprize

Picking this back up..

I ordered a B&W Class V hitch receiver for the truck and began to mock this up. First I wanted to see what holes aligned (typically these will bolt right up) and second I knew I was going to be going from a dual tank setup to a single Blazer tank in the rear and wanted to make sure everything was accessible and cleared after relocating the frame supports.

I also am planning on running the Sport bumper in the rear inside of a larger dropped bumper. I picked up a drop bumper that is in mint condition in case I change my mind, but I like how clean the lines look on this rear bumper. I had to throw it on to get an idea.

Last edited by focusedontheprize; 06-14-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #82
focusedontheprize

Moving on to the relocation of the fuel tank, I wanted to do it a little different, so I welded up a some 2x2 stock I had lying around for support and to hold everything square and went to cutting the rivets out of the old one.

I also started to plug weld all the unnecessary holes in the frame. I wanted to only have the holes I would be using and would drill the new ones for items that I would be adding (i.e. sway bar links and the air bags). You can also see the Sulastic shackles I would be running.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #83
focusedontheprize

While I was waiting on the Blazer tank to arrive, I spent my time finishing the plugs on the rear frame. Each night after work I spent a couple hours go through plug welding and then dressing the welds smooth. A lot of work, but I am very happy with the end result.

The FedEx guy and I are becoming better and better friends via this truck. He delivered my fuel tank and I began to start mocking it up. I had an idea of how I wanted to mount it and built a new shock crossmember along with a rectangular rear frame support which I welded tabs to in order to bolt it up. Ratchet straps are incredibly helpful when you only have two hands to work with.

Everything tacked in and bolted up..

Old 06-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #84
focusedontheprize

At this point, I was starting to feel a bit embarrassed working on this outside of my garage. My 1949 Chevrolet frame was in the way so I rented a local storage unit and had a friend help me move the frame and the bed into the unit to make space. My buddy started laughing and said there was no way it was going to fit in the garage. I told him it would have around 1/2" inch of space.

My measurements were spot on..
Old 06-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #85
focusedontheprize

Once it was in the garage I finished up plug welding the driver's side frame and threw on primer to hold me over.

I worked with Hellwig (phenomenal customer service) to source a rear sway bar for the truck and found that their Big Wig F350 bar would be the perfect fit. The Big Wig bars are 1-5/16” diameter, solid heat treated 4140 chromoly steel that are aligned to the heavier duty applications. I ordered it on Amazon and it arrived two days later.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #86
focusedontheprize

I love these Dewalt clamps, could be one of my favorite tools I have. I started to mock up the sway bar knowing I would be relocating the lower shock mounts behind the bar for clearance and efficiency improvement.

I actually really like the hammered color and how it would break all the black up on the rear suspension. I also wanted to tuck the bar as much as possible and spoke to BigWig about this. They said they can always make me longer end links if I wanted to change the layout, but for now I am happy with it how it turned out. I also have three settings on the bar and can always adjust.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #87
focusedontheprize

While the sway bar installation was going on, I began looking at AirLift's kits. I knew I wanted to run one of their systems and held off on ordering the on-board air unit module (one of the reps told me they would be having a new generation coming out in the next few months). Again, Amazon had the best price and it arrived in two days.

An hour or so later and they were installed. I am looking forward to trying them out soon and will pick up their WirelessAIR system to compliment this.

Bolted up the wheels to check clearance and everything looked perfect. It was a good feeling to see the truck on all four tires again even if it was temporary.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #88
focusedontheprize

The truck originally came with headers and a true dual exhaust system that ran into Flowmaster 40s that terminated right behind the cab. It was a loud system and for me (and my goal with the truck), it was something that would be going when the time came. I picked up a stock set of cast-iron manifolds and a universal kit from Speedway to start mocking up the new system. I opted to go with the Flowmaster 70 series for the mufflers and planned on running over the axle to terminate next to the fuel tank. I wanted something clean, streamlined, and simple.

Here were the exhaust headers I removed. The headers interfered with the front driveshaft to the D60 so that was the other reason I was going to manifolds.

Full exhaust system..
Old 06-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #89
focusedontheprize

The exhaust was the last thing I needed to check off. I began to disassemble the rear of the truck in preparation for final weld and paint.

Wire wheeled and brought it down to bare metal..

I thoroughly cleaned everything and wanted to try out the Magnet Paint Chassis Saver. Here is the first coat..

Last edited by focusedontheprize; 06-14-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #90
focusedontheprize

I painted on 3 coats of the Magnet Paint Chassis Saver and topped it with 2 coats of Flat Black Rustoleum out of the gun..

Next was to do the same to the rear end suspension parts (rear axle, rear leaf springs, shackles, U bolts, and all the hardware)..

I left everything cure for a few days and then went out one night for re-assembly.

Last edited by focusedontheprize; 06-14-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #91
focusedontheprize

Today I set out to get the rear suspension fully situated. Installed the air bags, the tow hitch, and the fuel tank with the sending unit.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #92
SCOTI

I like the updates. That rear end of things is looking VERY clean & well thought out.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #93
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I like the updates. That rear end of things is looking VERY clean & well thought out.
Thanks SCOTI, I am trying to fit 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag and still needed to make sure everything was easily serviceable. The photos of your rear suspension were a large influence on keeping things clean and simple.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:11 AM   #94
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
Thanks SCOTI, I am trying to fit 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag and still needed to make sure everything was easily serviceable. The photos of your rear suspension were a large influence on keeping things clean and simple.
I look forward to your review of the Sulastic shackles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #95
MTCK

You’ve been busy and the work looks great. I’m very intrigued by the rear sway bar. Mine can sway a lot on bad roads and corners with the camper on.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #96
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
You’ve been busy and the work looks great. I’m very intrigued by the rear sway bar. Mine can sway a lot on bad roads and corners with the camper on.
Thanks you, I am also interested to see how it handles with it on. I also liked the ability to tuck it up out of the way.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #97
focusedontheprize

The last outstanding thing I needed to do for the rear suspension was order new shocks. I moved the mounts and the other shocks would not work. Ordered a pair of Bilstein 5125s for the rear and they should arrive by Monday.

When I purchased the truck it had step side nerf bars on it and at the time it also had a 8" lift that I have since removed. I never liked the look of nerf bars and originally cut them off with a Sawzall, but left the mounting plates for another day. I would like to finish the bottom of the truck and the frame this week so that day came. The person who installed them just pushed as much wire until they held so I have some metal work to do.

I ran out of time last night and will get to the other side tonight. I have a few outstanding brackets to remove and then I can start with the metal work.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #98
focusedontheprize

Tonight I started by removing the nerf bar plates on the passenger side. I will have to do some metal work later on, but not now. I can get clear access to this once the truck is up and running again so it is for another day.

Next was removing the remainder of the brackets. These two muffler brackets were next on the list. I mounted the tailpipes to a different location and they were no longer needed.

Tomorrow I am going to wire wheel the frame and inside of the floor to prepare it for paint. Magnet Chassis Saver and then top coat it. That will let me run the new EFI fuel line and brake line on clean rails. My objective is to get this truck running by the end of June.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #99
focusedontheprize

Next order of business is to clean the rails. I couldn't run new fuel line over dirty rails I guess. I am running Earl Vapor Guard EFI fuel line in case I decide to add an EFI setup.

Now comes the fun part - put the wire wheel on the 4" grinder and suit up. The truck is solid which is a positive except there was 3/4" of dirt caked on that needed to come off. Dixie hasn't had a bath in quite some time.

What I started with:

Couple hours later:

You can even see the before and after here. I am okay working with caked on mud instead of rust.

This was my 4th time sweeping the floor.

I am not the biggest fan of these dirty jobs, but I'll deal with it for now. My Bilsteins arrived today for the rear, tomorrow is going to be a "short-work-time-on-the-truck" day, so I am going to bolt those in and that will tie up the rear suspension.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #100
Hart_Rod

Just read your whole thread. Nice build, I like your style!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote