The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2003, 10:25 PM   #1
gotmud77

Question chevy problems

Well I got a problem with my steering..It's got some slack and wonn't turn but very little to the right..I got a 6" spring lift with a 3" body lift..I put a drop steering arm on with the lift and just put a new steering box on when changed tires..I was runnen 35-16.5-15's and changed to 35-12.5-15..Got alittle better but still slack and almost no turn to the right..Any chance anyone could tell me whats wrong????????????

Tim
gotmud77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:21 AM   #2
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

not sure but you might check to make sure nothins hitting

71 k20 sons

bassett va
72shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
crazy4chevs

Here you go. Check to make sure nothings hitting under the truck. Disconnect the draglink assembly from the box and swing it out of the way. Jack up the front of the truck, put jackstands underneath the front diff. Manually turn the wheels side to side to see if you get full movement left to right and that it is the same amount each way. If thats ok, turn your steering wheel all the way right and then left (lock to lock) counting the complete revolutions. (example: 3 turns total) Once you do that, split that, which makes 1.5. Center the wheel and you should have 1.5 turns each way. Keeping the steering wheel in that position, straighten the front wheels and check your drag link. You will probably have to adjust it longer or shorter to get it to fit without moving the wheels or column from the straight positions that you put them in. Once the drag link is connected, recheck for the same 1.5 turns each way and you should be ready to go.

Just dont worry about the position the steering wheel was put on, because that can screw you up. The main thing is that your count is right and you center it from your count .

68 chev c10 swb fleet
Early classic 4/6 drop with 4wheel disc brakes 9"rear 67-8 buckets tilt and A/C
Classic GM Truck Club of Washington

crazy4chevs is offline   Reply With Quote