The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #2551
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thank you guys for the kind words... about the truck and especially about our little girls. You’re the ones that make all the waiting and spending tolerable (fun?) while it’s happening. But I just can’t wait to take it out on a cruise or to a gathering.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #2552
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Congrat's Dan!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #2553
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Congrat's Dan!

Thanks, JJ!

Status Update:

Brown Santa dropped off my polished billet hood hinges today. Yipee!
But seriously, they have me stoked anew! ha ha ha. They make it feel like the finish line is just around the corner.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #2554
G&R's57GMC

Congrats Grandpa ! Cute kids !

Yippeeee ! The truck is almost to the finish line , won't be long now. What say about the end of summer ?

Last year I pulled my '66 Dart out of a 11 year hibernation and got it running just in time for Kool April Nights in Redding.

I did a front disc brake conversion , LOF , tune up, rear brakes , shocks new wheels and tires, fuel tank , carb rebuild and alignment.

After the show I took it to the body shop and got in line to have some body work and partial paint . I took it home and striped the trim and bumpers off and changed out the new tires and wheels for a rolling set.
Well long story short it waited in my garage for its turn all summer , winter and spring and finally got in March this year and then got a sunbath for another month before they started the body work.
Then I decided to have them fill some holes for the mirrors , antenna and some trim.
Thats now done.

Then I wanted them to touch up some of the Yellow. But its a custom color and was put on in '75 . It would be a bear to match. So we're doing a color change
Well at this point its sanded and just about to go into the booth for the first color over the whole car (Bright White) then mask for the second color (Turquoise).

Now that brings up the interior and that has to be redone ,etc.,etc.

This IS the slippery slop and now I'm sliding down it .... Hellllllpp !

And then there is the chrome ...
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #2555
Dan in Pasadena

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Stopped by the paint shop this afternoon to see the reassembly progress. It's going a little slow. Partly because reproduction parts don't fit like factory ones. The photo below of the grille is an example. The gap between the grille and sheet metal opening is AFTER the painter worked to improve the fit as best he could! I'll live with it for now since another repop grille would likely fit just as poorly.

The brackets that hold the AC condenser had to be modified to move it closer to the radiator so the hood latch could be made to fit. The fan guard has now been painted and temporarily fitted.

QUESTION:
Does anyone know if there are "seals" that go around the wiper "drives" that come through the cowl? My painter seems to think there should be to keep rain from entering the under-dash area. I don't recall ever seeing any. Also, did these trucks ever have windshield sprayers of any kind? I don't think so but he is asking so he can get these areas buttoned up and install my non-louvered cowl panel.

EDIT:
Just checked The Car & Trucks Shop catalog and found the windshield wiper bezels, nozzles, nuts & gaskets. (I actually think I already bought them at some point - now to find them! ha ha) What comprises the "system" to feed the nozzles? I remember on my dad's '55 BelAir the large glass bottle and a push button in the middle of the wiper on/off knob. But I don't remember anything like that on his '59 Fleetside. Any help appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-13-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #2556
Dan in Pasadena

Fit comparison from side to side. No bueno!... but what's to be done? Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #2557
Kim57

Can't help on the wipers but I think you need to put the splash apron in to see how the grille is going to end up.
If it pulls the fenders in a bit at the bottom fit may be better.
Truck is looking real sharp.
Kim
Old 06-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #2558
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim, Yes I agree the apron MAY pull in the fender bottoms a little and help.

I did a search on Windshiled washers and found a link to a site that has an inexpensive pump and piping system that would work. I doubt I’ll install it as I have no intention of ever driving it in the rain but in time I may change my mind.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #2559
57tailgater

On the windshield washer I believe there was an electric pump mounted to the top of a glass jar under the hood for the fluid. The switch was a pushbutton in the middle of the wiper switch knob. I haven't seen one in a while and not aware of any reproductions either.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #2560
Daze57

hey dan

truck is lookin great ------as far as windshield washer deal i did a junkyard thing and found a nice plastic water bottle with built in washer pump took all hoses and clamps and got it all workin ----it aint 57 stuff but it works for what i need .........just an idea
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #2561
Dan in Pasadena

57tailgater- What you’re describing applied to the ‘55-‘57 cars for sure. I remember that large glass jar under the hood of my Dad’s ‘55 two door hardtop BelAir I drove in high school. I remember the push button too. But I know for sure there was no button in the center of the truck’s wiper knob. I’ve never seen one and there wasn’t one on my Dad’s ‘59 Fleetside either.

But there must have been SOME way of causing water to be squirted. Not a big deal for me as I never intend to drive it in the rain or to use the wipers to clean the windshield either. Hell, I probably won’t wven put the wiper arms on the truck unless I get a ticket!

Still, it bugs me the stock wiper drive bezels have squirters in them and no way to use them.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-14-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #2562
bowt1ed

Hey Dan, I believe Ididit makes a washer (push button) on the end of their turning signal lever. As I recall, you are running a Flaming River column - might be able to go that route.

Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #2563
57tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
57tailgater- What you’re describing applied to the ‘55-‘57 cars for sure. I remember that large glass jar under the hood of my Dad’s ‘55 two door hardtop BelAir I drove in high school. I remember the push button too. But I know for sure there was no button in the center of the truck’s wiper knob. I’ve never seen one and there wasn’t one on my Dad’s ‘59 Fleetside either.

But there must have been SOME way of causing water to be squirted. Not a big deal for me as I never intend to drive it in the rain or to use the wipers to clean the windshield either. Hell, I probably won’t wven put the wiper arms on the truck unless I get a ticket!

Still, it bugs me the stock wiper drive bezels have squirters in them and no way to use them.
Maybe what I remember seeing was something someone took off a car to use on a Task Force truck. I was going to pursue finding one of those switch assemblies but that fell by the wayside. I do remember it had the small button in the middle of the switch knob and the switch knob matched the rest of the truck dash knobs so I assumed it was specific to TF trucks. The AD trucks had a foot pedal pump. It would be interesting to know for sure.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #2564
_Ogre

always had the spray nozzles on tf truck, never seen one with a pump
ford maverick had a push bellows on the floor that i always thought would look right in a tf
here's one on ebay for $13 you could use any oem reservoir
though a piece of 3" ss exhaust tube capped on the ends would look good under your hood
similar to what i used for an overflow tank, of course you'd need a filler neck/cap

Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #2565
bowt1ed

Painless Wiring (as well as others I'm sure) has a 2 position wiper switch with a push for washer feature. Just mount original knob on switch stem.

Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #2566
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
Painless Wiring (as well as others I'm sure) has a 2 position wiper switch with a push for washer feature. Just mount original knob on switch stem.

Cheers, Jim
Thanks Jim!

For the record and anyone who finds this thread later, here's Painless' 2 position/push for fluid switch. $42.99 for the switch. IF the factory knob could be made to fit it would be a good solution.

BUT, somewhere in my searches I found a switch that requires you to drill a hole THROUGH the factory knob for a button. Though more work (marginally) it would look like the '55-'57 cars and I kinda dig the idea. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...arge/80173.jpg

Old 06-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #2567
Dan in Pasadena

Here's the "Rest Of The Story" on a windshield wiper/washer pump system for anyone coming along later:

Newport Engineering has what looks to be a nice compact little system except it doesn't include a reservoir for the actual fluid. They sell the switch as well as switch extensions of various lengths.

I checked eBay and there are many polished stainless radiator overflow tanks that could be used for this purpose. the smallest/cheapest of these is $17.99 but holds 14oz, which ought to be plenty for this purpose and be small enough to put under our hoods noticed if that's what you want. Here's the link to the tank:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-10-Poli...IAAOSwSata4os9

Here's a link to Newport Engineering: https://newportwipers.com

Related images:
https://newportwipers.com/wp-content...1431359518.jpg

https://newportwipers.com/wp-content...1430615278.jpg

https://newportwipers.com/wp-content...3481579246.jpg

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-15-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #2568
Russell Ashley

I have a Newport wiper setup in my truck. An original style button fit the control perfectly but I don't think you could make the button-in-the-button work with this sealed control. Pushing the button starts the washer pump and swipes the wipers three times. I have an S10 reservoir with the attached pump to mount when I get to feeling like it.

Last edited by Russell Ashley; 06-17-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #2569
Dan in Pasadena

Good to know the Newport setup works well for future reference.

I suppose all this info should be in a separate thread under "Windshield Washer System" or some such.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #2570
Dan in Pasadena

Monday, June 28, 2018:

Just posting these to record that the billet hood hinges were trial fit today and the non-vented cowl panel as well.

I'm stoked about the hinges but kinda, "Meh" on the cowl panel. Fortunately, we painted the stock vented panel and I have it to swap later if I want. I'm never intentionally driving it in the rain anyway, so maybe it won't matter which I use.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 PM   #2571
oldman3

Looks good...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #2572
Kim57

Hinges are very nice.
Kim
Old 06-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #2573
BAM55

Dan,

Your truck is coming together really nice. Looks great.
BAM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #2574
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks so much, Bam. Your kind words mean a lot.

Everyone has been very nice about my truck even though I didn't come close doing the work all of you have done.

I'm excited to get it done before the end of summer to do a little cruising with the windows down and the stereo playing.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:05 AM   #2575
Scottish58chev

Truck is looking sweeeeet
Almost there man, the small things are there to test you (so i keep getting told) Not far away at all and once you're driving, all the annoying stuff will just be distant memories.
Scottish58chev is offline   Reply With Quote