The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Newt

65 C10 Wiper Help

Does anyone have an instruction/picture regarding how to "properly" position/align/orient the windshield wiper transmission linkage to the wiper motor output shaft?

I am having an issue with my wipers on my 65 C10. I have a Newport wiper motor installed and I cannot get the wipers to "park" at the bottom of the windshield. If I align/attach the wiper arms at the base of the windshield with the wipers turned off and I presume in the parked position, when they are turned on the first try to rotate downward before they swipe across the windshield...if that explaination make sense. To get them to function properly without damaging something, I have to attach the wiper arms a quarter of the way up the windshield in the park position.
I have concluded I have misaligned the wiper transmission linkage OR the Newport wiper motor is defective and not "timed" properly.
Has anyone else had any issue like this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by Newt; 09-29-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: to add clarity
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: 65 C10 Wiper Help

There is a set of notches on the initial linkage that attaches to the wiper motor. These notches need to line up. Then the rest of the linkage will attach. I will see if I can locate the pics of the alignment notches for you.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer

Last edited by 1963c-10; 09-29-2016 at 03:41 PM.
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
1963c-10

The black linkage is a big truck linkage, but better pic for reference. The one with the blue overspray is the correct c-10 linkage. You can see the little slash marks on it at around 5 and 7 o'clock as it sits in the picture. You will have "timing marks" on the motor as well. Just make sure the marks on the linkage match the motor. There is only three bolts holding the motor in. You may have to remove the motor due to the cab/motor seal to see the "timing marks". Get the marks lined up and attach the arm linkage and you are back in business.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
The black linkage is a big truck linkage, but better pic for reference. The one with the blue overspray is the correct c-10 linkage. You can see the little slash marks on it at around 5 and 7 o'clock as it sits in the picture. You will have "timing marks" on the motor as well. Just make sure the marks on the linkage match the motor. There is only three bolts holding the motor in. You may have to remove the motor due to the cab/motor seal to see the "timing marks". Get the marks lined up and attach the arm linkage and you are back in business.
Mine are doing the exact same thing as Newt's, thanks for the tip!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
Newt

Thanks guys that was helpful. So, i took a look at my new and second wiper transmission assembly, this one from Ecklers. and there are no alignment marks and there were no instructions with the new parts. The wiper transmission was already assembled and it can only go on two ways (please correct me if I am wrong) I removed the actuator arm that attaches to the new Newport wiper motor and turned it 180 degrees and turned on the wiper. It was clear that alignment was bassackwards or 180 degrees out-of-phase. So, it appears that I had it correct the first time but, that means when I turn the wipers off the blade will go down to the bottom of the windshield then back up about a 1/4 of it's travel to park. I have a couple of questions
1. If memory serves me the wiper motor can only bolt in one position under the dash. Is that correct? I have a bunch of "stuff" under the dash now and hate the thought of removing the wiper motor,
2. Assuming I installed the motor in the correct position AND assuming the transmission linkage is aligned properly, is there anything else I could check?
Thanks for your advice!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
1963c-10

The linkage will only bolt on one way, but the timing has to be set on the motor. I am not familiar with the after market units, but the factory units have the marks on the motor and the linkage.

Do you have a factory maintenance manual? There is a great section in there that covers this.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 09-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #7
1963c-10

Heres a good pic of the timing marks on a wiper motor at 3 and 6 as it sits in the picture. This is the proper orientation to sit in the cab as well as the wiper washer unit if optioned bolted over top the wiper motor.
Attached Images

1964 Short bed trailer
Old 09-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
Newt

FYI, I talked to the Newport wiper motor folks and I believe the problems I am experiencing is because the motor assembly is out-of-time. It may have been assembled incorrectly or something was loose and it became out of time when I started using it. I did notice the wiper travel/stroke appeared to wander during the last time it was in operation. I will remove the unit and send it back to the factory for evaluation. Thanks for all the advice and the time spent trying to help me!!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:30 AM   #9
gizmoduck81

Did you ever resolve your wiper motor issue? I just installed one in my '63 and am having the exact same problem you were.
gizmoduck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
Newt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Heres a good pic of the timing marks on a wiper motor at 3 and 6 as it sits in the picture. This is the proper orientation to sit in the cab as well as the wiper washer unit if optioned bolted over top the wiper motor.
1963c-10
Long story short, I gave up on the new Newport wiper motor. I called them twice and e-mailed once asking for help and they have not returned my calls or answered e-mail. I will not do business with them again
Now, I managed to buy a new OEM wiper motor just like the one in your picture. i believe I will be able to install it to the proper orientation in the dash and properly aligned with the transmission arm, thanks to you pictures and comments. I have one last question: The terminals on the motor are not numbered or identified in a way that would enable me to be assured of getting the correct wire on the correct terminal lug. Do you have a wiring diagram or instruction for making the electrical connection to the motor. BTW, it is a 2 speed motor, with 4 spade terminals, NOT counting the frame ground. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:21 PM   #11
Newt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoduck81 View Post
Did you ever resolve your wiper motor issue? I just installed one in my '63 and am having the exact same problem you were.
I have been off line for a few months. No, I never was able to get the NewPort wiper motor to work properly. It would not park at the bottom of the windshield as described THEN when I started to use it the timing appeared to get worse. It started crashing into the bottom of the windshield and eventually caused both wiper arms to fail and break. There was no misalignment or slippage apparent in the transmission arm assembly. I used two different transmission assemblies from two different suppliers, with the same results. I believe the gearbox on the wiper motor itself was not timed properly and/or there was something loose in the gear box which caused it to get worse with use. I called NewPort Engineering to try to determine what was causing the problem, they did not return my calls and did not answer my e-mails. I will not do business with them again. I hope you were able to resolve your issues.