The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
Shtudwn

Help deciding to do patch panels or replace entire floor...or change out cab?

Ok,

I'm sitting here wondering if I can get anyone to understand this crazy post.....

I have my 66 that has a very rusty floor. I'm not going to post pictures because im really not looking for a detailed analysis but more of a philosophical approach to the problem. I'm looking to make a plan and need a bit of advice....

My 66 is probably typical. Rusty corners, rockers are shot as is drivers floor and both kick panels. In fact, the previous owner appears to have welded angle pieces in at the bottom of the kick panels. The bracing underneath is rusted pretty badly as well.

So here is the question.... what approach should I take? Replace panel after panel hoping to keep everything straight and square? Replace the entire floor? I assume the entire cab floors come with braces.... or try and get a decent replacement cab and deal with the DMV on the vin etc...?

Can a complete floor be done with good expectation? What all is involved? Anyone done a full floor on a 66?

Vin numbers and the DMV... anyone successfully done this in Washington state?

Yes, no matter if I do complete floor or panels I will still need to do cab corners...

Thank you to everyone who reads this crazy post...and even more for those who throw out thoughts.

Dan
Shtudwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
chevylookin

Re: Help deciding to do patch panels or replace entire floor...or change out cab?

I've always been one to fix what I got. I hate thinkin about killing a good truck to fix a bad truck. Unless, you can source a good cab just laying around (they are out there) you're gonna have a hard time finding one that would be a cost effective alternative to fixing your own, especially if youre handy with a grinder and welder. Anything can be fixed. Ive never had to replace a whole floor. I do not believe the whole thing is stamped and repopped. Only up to the dog house on each side. Good luck amigo.
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:12 AM   #3
Shtudwn

Re: Help deciding to do patch panels or replace entire floor...or change out cab?

Thank you chevylookin. I appreciate the advice. Im kinda heading that direction cuz I'm worried about keeping everything aligned when doing the whole floor. I have found a good cab but the VIN issue has me rethinking that approach.

Dan
Old 06-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
vince1

I can't see doing a whole floor. Mine was really bad, so much so that the dimmer switch no longer had a resting place. I think it would have been better had I taken the cab off. Also, cutting the repair panels in for butt splicing would have been better than laying them in over top of the originals. Nonetheless there is a real sense of satisfaction once you have it on the road knowing you saved it from the scrap heap. How is the roof?
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Shtudwn

Thank you vince1. The roof appears fine. I have been pretty concerned about the kick panels and their "angle piece" connection to the floor. I was thinking about having the cab sand blasted so that I could have a better understanding of the true condition.

I appreciate the comments. Where does everyone get their patch panels? I assume some aren't as good (quality) as others.

Dan
Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
chevylookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtudwn View Post
Thank you chevylookin. I appreciate the advice. Im kinda heading that direction cuz I'm worried about keeping everything aligned when doing the whole floor. I have found a good cab but the VIN issue has me rethinking that approach.

Dan
Ive known a person or two to, eh hem... (accidentally) grind the rivets of the vin plate when sanding the inside door frame of the cab and it falls off and they cant remember which truck it went to if ya know what I mean. I have seen old GM sheet metal that cant be taken to the recycler repurposed into wonderful lawn art, bbq's, patch panels, ect.... NO! Wait! Just kiddin, get behind me satan!!!
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #7
Shtudwn

Awesome! Thx
Old 06-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It is extremely rare to find a cab that is absolutely rust free. I have seen many supposed rust free cabs or car bodies that look like swiss cheese after that are abrasive blasted. I would just have your current cab blasted to you can see exactly what you have to work with and then repair the bad areas. Then you know exactly what the condition of the cab is.....and for many years to come. It is hard to tell without seeing pictures, but it sounds like your cab is not that bad.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
Shtudwn

Thanks Captainfab. I did restore a 1964 Chevelle Malibu SS many years ago and was amazed when I had it media blasted. Everything was exposed and you knew where you stood.

The one thing that keeps popping up in my head is the possibility of a big window cab but I'm dubious about the VIN issue.

Does anyone have recommendations for panels? Im sure some are better than others.

Dan
Old 06-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

You can do a BBW conversion!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:34 PM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Most of the patch panels come from the same place. I typically have bought my patch panels from Top Banana but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Classic Parts. There is an ebay seller that sells patch panels made by Schott that are made in the USA, but the selection is not as wide and the price is A LOT more.

As far as changing a cab, how you go about the VIN issue is up to you. If you think a VIN inspection will be necessary to get the licensing and registration, I would think about having that done sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtudwn View Post
Thanks Captainfab. I did restore a 1964 Chevelle Malibu SS many years ago and was amazed when I had it media blasted. Everything was exposed and you knew where you stood.

The one thing that keeps popping up in my head is the possibility of a big window cab but I'm dubious about the VIN issue.

Does anyone have recommendations for panels? Im sure some are better than others.

Dan
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
Shtudwn

Thanks folks.

I am going to keep my cab and make repairs where necessary.

Dan