The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #26
MASTERBrian

Re: Disc Brake Conversion & Misc Brake ???'s

Ok, you are probably correct that I'm over thinking this, but I'm finally getting it all figured out in my head.

Any feedback on Western Chassis? Right now I'm looking fairly heavily at them as well as one or two others mentioned.

My current thought is I might go ahead and start getting a Bracket, Booster and Master. I want to switch to dual Master no matter what and this would give me the jump start I need. I've also done some quick math and it appears I'm no better off piecing the brakes together, since I'm going with a drop spindle when I get ready to drop the truck, so I'm done messing with that idea. Now I just need to settle on a company to go with.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #27
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Stay away from S10 parts. THAT IS ALL WRONG!
71-72 brake M/C is a direct bolt on.
Can you or someone clarify the S10 booster part?

My understanding was that this is a decent choice. Some things I've read say the 12" booster from 70's C10 are a little tight. One mentioned an Astro booster is a good fit and I believe a dual 9". I believe the S10's are triple 8" and I thought I just saw one that was running an s10 booster.

What I don't know is does the master on the end make much difference if it's for disc/drum with the valve. I know the master part had been explained regarding smaller can for drums and larger can for discs, but besides that.

As much as I hate running used parts, based upon another member I'm considering pricing a 72 c10 complete booster/master/valve and line set from a salvage. Then if/when they wear out replace with new, but it would give me the core(if priced right) and maybe a step towards having the right parts and parts that match.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
MASTERBrian

I'm about to place an order for CPP's Drop Spindle Disc Kit. I think I've finally settled on that theirs is one of the nicest looking and seems to get good reviews. The question I now have is regarding the brake lines and booster(kit).

I ordered the bracket from CaptainFab and it appears it'll be here soon, so I'll get started looking at that, BUT I can't seem to feel I've 'wasted' money if I buy a kit for the booster/master/valve, since it will already have a bracket. With that said, I do think I've read others say the brackets in the kit are not as nice as CaptainFab's, which is why I went that route, and I am certain I've read others replaced the kit bracket. This begs the question of IF I buy the kit and run CaptainFab's bracket, is it likely I'll still have to mod the brake pedal arm, or should that be a direct bolt on?

I have a salvage yard looking to see if they have another brake assembly from one of these 60's trucks to mod it the way another poster did, so the pedal is lower down. If that price is right then the question above might be a mute point, but curious....especially if this gets me on the road quicker.

As for the brake lines, CPP, seems to offer a complete new brake line kit that bolts up to their parts for $95. I can't buy coiled line and bend them to make that price NOT make sense. Just realized it's the front only, but still not a bad price. For $15 more they'll do it in stainless, which seems even better yet!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #29
whitedog76

Here's a disk kit, 5 or 6 lug. Less than $600 for front. Seems like a good deal. New spindles, ball joints, hub, rotor, and caliper.

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...le-5-or-6-Lug/

I pulled a disk brake setup off of a GM van a few years ago. The 2003 and newer vans have 13" rear rotors and 8" parking brakes. They are quite massiver. They have a couple different options for calipers though. This may be a good way to go for your rear. Silverados have a similar setup, but use a single piston caliper.

Of course, if you upgrade your front, there may be no reason to do the rear.

Last edited by whitedog76; 02-17-2017 at 04:05 PM.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #30
MASTERBrian

I've already pulled the trigger and the fronts are ordered. This thing needs to be dropped so I just went ahead and decided the best thing is the spindles up front.

Only part I'm not sure of is the booster/master....haven't decided which route I'm going and I figure I'll wait till motor in to do that. I did order the CaptianFab bracket, so that's my start there.