The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
1leglance

Possible to hollow out tailgate for storage?

So never have taken my tailgate apart but I am wondering if any of you who have had this pleasure have ever looked into creating a storage space inside the tailgate.

I know on some of the Toyota Landcruisers there are folks who make a lift up door sort of thing and use the deadspace for storage.

Just curious if this could be possible with our rigs.

Thoughts?
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
4shongo

Re: Possible to hollow out tailgate for storage?

Guess it could be done but why take the chance of denting your tailgate (from the inside-out)? Make a custom storage box under your second row seat instead. Out of sight and no damage can happen. If you decide to do it...post pics, would be an interesting mod!!
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
1leglance

I am placing my rear a/c unit under the 2nd row seats and building a custom center console with ducts.
Also I removed my rear side panels and will build a sleeping platform with storage under it in the back. This is our camping/travel rig so nice to be comfy.

I am just thinking there is a bunch of space to put air hose for on board air setup, jumper cables, and other light weight but bulky items.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone has done this.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

I haven't done it, nor have I seen it on the 67-72 burb gates.

Though I like the idea, since it would be a handy place to store tow straps, and other recovery gear.

I'd want to make clean cuts, so that the same metal panel could be used as the door. That way it would match, and be the same sturdy metal thickness.
Then use flush mount hinges, and a flush mount lock. That way nothing catches on them when sliding stuff in and out, or be uncomfortable if you sat or kneel on one.

Then have aluminum boxes made for the storage compartment, so that there isn't any more weight added and to protect the outer skin from dents.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
magicoolbus

Hi all, here's what I plan on doing to my burb: In the rear side panel I want to install a glove box, one of the repop fiber board ones, trim to fit and fab mounting for a glove box door. I am thinking right above the gas tank filler sheet metal. I might just fab in the glove door and behind it box in an area so I won't be limited by the fiber glove box size. Just starting think it through.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
1leglance

in the toyota world there is a company called wagongear.com that makes a really cool setup

I am thinking something like this that would still let me sit on the tailgate when desired but also store soft/bulky/light items

Here is the writeup on installation so folks can see
http://wagongear.com/project/60instal/
Old 07-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
vectorit
What?

Also... The cargo area side panels could be converted to storage area, and it wouldn't require such invasive metal work on your burb. Just replace the cardboard panels with something ridged like aluminum, then use all that space behind it.
There is enough room in the inner side panels for a high lift jack, shovel, tools, and err a rifle/shotgun
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
4shongo

I made a custom oak box behind my second row seat. 12" deep x 16" tall x 40" wide . Works perfect and fits my jack, tools, straps, etc. I stained it with a custom green mix from Lowes to match my interior and installed some polished latches. Looks awesome and finished it off with a chrome "Chevrolet" emblem I had laying around from some 50's model i believe. Everyone loves it and I love having all my stuff in one location in the Burb. Never seen anyone else with one in a Suburban. I like your idea of extra storage on the side panels as well.
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Also... The cargo area side panels could be converted to storage area, and it wouldn't require such invasive metal work on your burb. Just replace the cardboard panels with something ridged like aluminum, then use all that space behind it.
There is enough room in the inner side panels for a high lift jack, shovel, tools, and err a rifle/shotgun
I'm thinking along this idea for my Panel. I want to hide the spare tire on the passenger side and a size-matching storage compartment on the driver's side. Some yet-to-be-determined material that would match my over-all plan for the interior.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
mosesburb
I had a V-8

This can be done, Lance. You have to keep it below the plate that has the four screws in it behind the latch. All of the linkage for the controls runs at that level. Below that is open space--and a fair bit of it at that. Not sure how you would make a door for it being that our tailgates have ribs/corrugation in them, but the room is there.

I had actually thought of doing this to the tailgate that I built for mine, but I figured if I couldn't fit my junk in the space of a Suburban, I had too much. That, and, I knew it would take me at least a month and a half to do, so I would probably still be working on the paint if I had done it. It sounds sarcastic, but sadly, I'm pretty sure it is accurate...... Now, that being said, YOU could probably pull it off in a couple hours, so I'd do it if I were YOU.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
cdowns

tailgate can b used to store quite a few kilos
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote