The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
Linz

Interior Originality

Hi Guys

Ive not long brought my first truck and being relatively new to the environment I was hoping to draw on some of the knowledge here on the boards. I like the idea of keeping my truck pretty close to original. And from my research so far I think theres a few things I need to start working away at. Obviously the radio is not stock but I'm guessing theres not much I can do about that other than stitching in a repair panel. I also think being that it was a factory parchment interior I should have the houndstooth seat?? The other question I have is that if my dash and dash pad are black should my carpet also be black?
Attached Images

Linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Interior Originality

Here you go. Parchment Custom Cloth (houndstooth) with black carpet (black carpet is correct, as is the black dash pad - and black steering wheel with tilt). Welcome - your truck looks like a very nice one. Only things I see off the top of my head other than the radio to return to stock are seat cover and carpet - remove aftermarket gauge if you like, of course, but if it's in place of a broken dash gauge, might keep til it's fixed. Some supers had black glovebox doors, others had body color - both are correct. Have you got a picture of the SPID for your truck?
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 01-12-2018 at 08:11 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Here you go. Parchment Custom Cloth (houndstooth) with black carpet (black carpet is correct, as is the black dash pad - and black steering wheel with tilt). Welcome - your truck looks like a very nice one. Only things I see off the top of my head other than the radio to return to stock are seat cover and carpet - remove aftermarket gauge if you like, of course, but if it's in place of a broken dash gauge, might keep til it's fixed. Some supers had black glovebox doors, others had body color - both are correct. Have you got a picture of the SPID for your truck?
Man I have a set (all 3) of parchment seat belts that would look really nice in that...
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Linz

Thanks for the reply Jocko man those houndstooth seats look fantastic. Im assuming its still possible to get them from somewhere?? Yes thought it was strange having a black wheel pad and dash but yet the carpet being saddle.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz View Post
Thanks for the reply Jocko man those houndstooth seats look fantastic. Im assuming its still possible to get them from somewhere?? Yes thought it was strange having a black wheel pad and dash but yet the carpet being saddle.
There is a guy on here sells awesome covers. Search Seat Covers.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Just a thought, is it possible that if the truck was built toward the end of the 72 model year and they were out of black carpet they might have installed the brown one to get the truck don the assembly line? I worked at Chrysler dealers for 25 years and I know they did then switcheroo thing a couple time during my tenure.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:29 AM   #7
cheyenne shortstep

Chances are good that the dash isn't cut, most of those radios went in the stock holes. Beautiful truck.
Jocko, I didn't know that Supers could have a black GBD, thanks for the info.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

No one has mentioned that you have a Cheyenne Super, which is why you have the houndstooth, as well as the woodgrain on the dash. Only Cheyenne Supers (RPO YE9) got those two things and only those two things set the Cheyenne Super interior apart from the Cheyenne (Z84).

The reason the carpet, dash pad, steering wheel, and column are black is due to having the tilt wheel option. All tilt columns were black with matching wheel. Had your truck come with the standard column it would have been Sandalwood (tan) color and so would all those other black parts.

Another some did/some didn't, like the Cheyenne Super glove box door, is the outer A/C vents could be either body color or black. to match dash pad, column, etc. As far as some Cheyenne Supers getting the black glovebox door, I have never seen one painted any color but body color or black. For example, I have never seen a Sandalwood one when truck had standard column with Parchment interior

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Man I have a set (all 3) of parchment seat belts that would look really nice in that...
The parchment belts do look nice, but black seat belts are correct for the parchment interior in the OP's truck. There are a few Supers floating around with parchment interior and parchment belts - unsure if they were owner added in a resto or not, but the vast majority of orignals were black. Definitely correct in the OP's truck though with the tilt column/wheel (always black, as Tim mentioned above) and black dash pad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
There is a guy on here sells awesome covers. Search Seat Covers.
Member Truckseats (Tim)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=532345

Last edited by jocko; 01-13-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
Linz

Thanks for the all the informative replies. Im learning everyday.Is carpet carpet? Is there any place better to order off? The other question i have is in regards to the wood grain on my dash bezel it is a little tatty around the wiper switch. Is it a relatively simple procedure to swap them out? Or is it quite the art
Old 01-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
No one has mentioned that you have a Cheyenne Super, which is why you have the houndstooth, as well as the woodgrain on the dash. Only Cheyenne Supers (RPO YE9) got those two things and only those two things set the Cheyenne Super interior apart from the Cheyenne (Z84).

The reason the carpet, dash pad, steering wheel, and column are black is due to having the tilt wheel option. All tilt columns were black with matching wheel. Had your truck come with the standard column it would have been Sandalwood (tan) color and so would all those other black parts.

Another some did/some didn't, like the Cheyenne Super glove box door, is the outer A/C vents could be either body color or black. to match dash pad, column, etc. As far as some Cheyenne Supers getting the black glovebox door, I have never seen one painted any color but body color or black. For example, I have never seen a Sandalwood one when truck had standard column with Parchment interior
Learn something new everyday.

I don't know if it's correct, but my 72 Super had the 558 paint code, which is a medium blue bottom and dark blue top. The interior is medium blue, but the glove box door is dark blue. I believe the glove box door is original and has the original SPID. I can also say someone repainted the interior medium blue, because of the sloppy work with runs. The column is black as you describe (tilt). The rest of the interior (e.g., outer A/C vents) is medium blue.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:

Am I missing something as I don't see the tilt marked on the spid, I don't think it was standard equipment on a Cheyenne Super. If I'm right then someone added the tilt which has the black column and changed out the saddlewood dash pad and saddlewood steering wheel which means the saddlewood carpet is correct for the truck ???
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #13
SoCoC10

Here's a Cheyenne Super I restored a couple years ago. It had Parchment white seat belts. The Parchment and black are striking against the yellow and in your case would be equally striking against the Medium Bronze.

Keep in mind EVERYTHING that is not black shows up on the black carpet. If you are going to use floormats and are NOT going to use the truck regularly, I'd say go with the black carpet. If you are planning on using the truck pretty regularly and don't religiously use floormats you might look at a Saddle or Dark Saddle carpet.
Attached Images

Last edited by SoCoC10; 01-13-2018 at 06:32 PM.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
SoCoC10

No matter what you decide on for carpet, go to stockinteriors.com and look at or order a few samples. They sell ACC carpets which in my opinion are the best. DO NOT buy a houndstooth seat cover from them. They sell ACME seat covers and they are a lower quality/thickness vinyl. If you are going to buy a houndstooth seat cover, get one made by PUI(good quality) or Truck World(Excellent quality).
Attached Images

SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Am I missing something as I don't see the tilt marked on the spid, I don't think it was standard equipment on a Cheyenne Super. If I'm right then someone added the tilt which has the black column and changed out the saddlewood dash pad and saddlewood steering wheel which means the saddlewood carpet is correct for the truck ???
N33 per my SPID. That doesn't necessarily mean someone added your tilt later. Confirmation would be a build sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoC10 View Post
No matter what you decide on for carpet, go to stockinteriors.com and look at or order a few samples. They sell ACC carpets which in my opinion are the best. DO NOT buy a houndstooth seat cover from them. They sell ACME seat covers and they are a lower quality/thickness vinyl. If you are going to buy a houndstooth seat cover, get one made by PUI(good quality) or Truck World(Excellent quality).
The interior in that top pic. is about the nicest I've seen. The CST badge on the door, was that factory on a 72?
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-13-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #16
jocko

Quote:

Tim - I've never seen a non-tilt Super with parchment custom cloth (houndstooth) interior with a sandalwood dash pad, column etc. I thought all parchment houndstooth got a black carpet, but now I'm curious. Do you or does anyone have a pic of an original non-tilt super with parchment custom cloth interior that has sandalwood wheel/column etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Learn something new everyday.

I don't know if it's correct, but my 72 Super had the 558 paint code, which is a medium blue bottom and dark blue top. The interior is medium blue, but the glove box door is dark blue. I believe the glove box door is original and has the original SPID. I can also say someone repainted the interior medium blue, because of the sloppy work with runs. The column is black as you describe (tilt). The rest of the interior (e.g., outer A/C vents) is medium blue.
Please please please tell me you're gonna restore it to that Custom Two Tone!? That is one of my absolute favorite combos. Arggh, looks GREAT! And that is a very nice SPID, I'd hang onto that one.

Quote:
N33 per my SPID. That doesn't necessarily mean someone added your tilt later. Confirmation would be a build sheet.

The interior in that top pic. is about the nicest I've seen. The CST badge on the door, was that factory on a 72?
Build Sheet and SPID RPOs should match - but you never know.

I believe the CST badge in 72 was only in a Z84 trim Blazer (i.e. Cheyenne level - as highlighted by the woodgrain doors) - (a Blazer was also the only way one could get plaid buckets). Blazer is also the exception to the 'Custom Deluxe for plaid' rule. On trucks, had to be a Custom Deluxe and plaid buckets weren't an option, had to be a bench.

Last edited by jocko; 01-13-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Please please please tell me you're gonna restore it to that Custom Two Tone!? That is one of my absolute favorite combos. Arggh, looks GREAT! And that is a very nice SPID, I'd hang onto that one.
It would be nice to, but I can't say I'm fond of the condition of the body, especially the cab. I doubt I'll ever restore this. 558 on a C-20 Super with a 402.......Man the truck was a beauty in its day.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Got observations. I never looked at the SPID. I'd say all the black was added, same as the column and wheel, but you bring up another good point with Cheyenne Supers with Parchment interior w/o tilt. It's been a long time since I have looked at an original Cheyenne Super with Parchment & non-tilt. Now that you mention it, I have a pair of doors I pulled from one in the early-80s I parted and I am picturing that dash pad as black. I certanly don't recall it being Sandalwood. Same for carpet, IIRC. I know in '70s a non-tilt would be Sandalwood
Quote:
I believe that one is a Blazer

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
Linz

All intriguing stuff. To me it looks like the black items in the truck have been by far in there the longest as they are showing the most wear and tear. But im no expert. It looks like its been super well looked after but theres no way that carpet is 46 years old id say it had been added not long before i brought it and the seat cover im guessing is not stock. Thats why i was thinking they were the 2 things that had been changed out but who knows. The previous owner had a few bits and pieces that came with the truck including some new arm rests because the originals are looking a little aged. But they are a dark brown darker than the carpet again. Perhaps the PO didnt have much of a clue on what color scheme to go with let alone keeping it parchment
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Build Sheet and SPID RPOs should match - but you never know.

I believe the CST badge in 72 was only in a Z84 trim Blazer (i.e. Cheyenne level - as highlighted by the woodgrain doors) - (a Blazer was also the only way one could get plaid buckets). Blazer is also the exception to the 'Custom Deluxe for plaid' rule. On trucks, had to be a Custom Deluxe and plaid buckets weren't an option, had to be a bench.
Agree with your point "should match". Only reason for my doubt is seems there were some RPO variances on the SPIDs. That and I had thought Super = tilt as well, but apparently not.

Ah yes, CST is Blazer. I had it confused with the Custom door badge, that were on 67-68 or something like. Maybe they were a GMC badge.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-15-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #21
Linz

Anybody know if the truckseats guy is till operating? I sent him a PM months ago regarding getting a houndstooth cover but have never heard anything back.

If he's a no go what are my other options for getting a houndstooth seat cover? Id like a quality one that will last.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #22
Linz

A bit of an update on this and also a couple more questions. I’ve made a bit of progress on getting stuff together for this. I now have black carpet and a parchment/houndstooth seat cover also some new armrests and most of the woodgrain pieces I need.

As one of you guys said I pulled the radio and the original holes remained witch I was super excited about.

The next weak link is going to be my door panels witch are looking pretty tired. So my question is how do I go about restoring them somewhat? Can they be simply painted and still look decent? Is there any prep work that I need to do to them first? Any paint colour suggestions?

Also the the decal/sticker on my cluster is starting to get a bit rough around the wiper and headlight switches that is the last woodgrain piece I need any leads there?

I’ll attempt to get some pictures up once I get some of this stuff in. I’m quite excited to see how it’s going to look I think it’s going to be very sharp. Just need to get done with harvest and then I’ll have some free time
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #23
68 P.O.S.

Here's 2 threads that may give you some ideas for your door panels:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433010

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546635
Old 10-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #24
Linz

Thanks 68 P.O.S

Some great information there maybe they just need a good scrub up!!

I’ll start with that and see how they come out before getting more involved 👍🏻
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #25
HO455
Post Whore

That's a real nice truck you have!!

Here are some radio options.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=771890
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 10-18-2018 at 03:24 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote