The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Question for the purists

As an admitted purist I say no harm in correcting a "birth defect" from GM. Keep the original GB door/SPID for wall art and have a new GB door/SPID made and installed after the build.

Who will whine that an OEM tach cluster, OEM tilt column, limited slip differential, OEM FM radio etc was installed? Done correctly these additions are a plus IMO. My current Blazer build will have the tilt, tach, FM, and limited slip rear omitted by the original buyer

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 10-09-2017 at 12:08 AM.
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
FirstOwner69

I bought my truck off the lot in 1969. It was a high option CST 3/4 ton with buckets and A/C. About the only things it lacked were gauges and power brakes, but the dealer added power brakes as a condition of the sale.

I'm normally a purist. I restored my '58 Corvette to NCRS standards, and it received the NCRS Duntov and Bloomington Gold awards. When I restored the truck starting in 2010, I added options such as OEM gauges with tach, tilt wheel, and AM/FM. Of course, the tilt and AM/FM weren't available in 1969 but are correct for this generation. I also replaced the bed wood with fancy oak and the original 350 with a GM Vortec crate 350. I still have the original engine and all removed parts that will go with the truck when my heirs sell it.

I think the difference in the way I approached the 2 restorations was due to the fact that I'd owned the truck so long and just wanted it to be a bit more unique and enjoyable. All changes made could be fairly easily reversed by a new purist owner (but, other than perhaps the engine, I don't know why) using the original parts on hand.

I have been toying with the idea of having a new SPID made but would never consider replacing the original or misrepresenting the truck. It would, however, be cool to display the SPIDS side-by-side.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 10-09-2017 at 12:36 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:48 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

No way would I touch my SPID. I see it as a "document" and changing that as "forgery."

Although dad did pretty serious changes like the all steel bed and sides (1/8" welded all round), power steering and brakes, I have no custom plans that are hard to revert back from.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
72chevynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
As an admitted purist I say no harm in correcting a "birth defect" from GM. Keep the original GB door/SPID for wall art and have a new GB door/SPID made and installed after the build.

Who will whine that an OEM tach cluster, OEM tilt column, limited slip differential, OEM FM radio etc was installed? Done correctly these additions are a plus IMO. My current Blazer build will have the tilt, tach, FM, and limited slip rear omitted by the original buyer
I agree with you DeadheadNM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:

Pete, that’s exactly what I was trying to say. You articulated it perfectly!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 AM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:

I'm with you 100% on this. I've done some correct OEM enhancements on my truck and have more to do. I've added tach, speedwarning and vacuum gauge dash, chromed the bumpers and have an original tilt to install as well as original buckets and console to install. I also had Chipflyer make me a new spid to reflect what I've added. The original glove box door will be removed and a chrome one with the centre piece painted wrinkle black wil be installed with the new spid and as Pete said the original will be tucked away. If/when I decide to sell the truck I will disclose what I've done to the buyer and give him/her the original glove box door. I consider myself a purist and do not think enhancing/adding correctly OEM parts or accessories detracts from the value of a truck.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote