The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #701
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

Today I installed the hood hinges and springs. I also finished polishing the housing for my trans temp gauge, put it all together and installed it under the dash. It still needs to be wired up as soon as I get a sender for it.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #702
The Rocknrod

Cool housing you found. The whole thing is coming together nicely.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #703
pdxhall

Thanks, it's been a long time but Sanity is finally close to being complete, except for paint. The housing was originally a clock that sat on the dash and I was going to just restore the clock but then I got to thinking....also, I knew it was cast aluminum so I decided to polish it rather than paint.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #704
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Looking great buddy! I love that little housing.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #705
pdxhall

I installed my seats and I'm working on my Craftsman tool box center console.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #706
cwcarpenter98

That's a cool idea for the center console. Maybe add some cup holders off the front of it?

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #707
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Looking great buddy! I love that little housing.
Thanks Cort. I couldn't pass it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
That's a cool idea for the center console. Maybe add some cup holders off the front of it?
Thanks. I removed the piano hinge and reinforce the side a little and then hinge it so it tips back but won't be noticeable. i've got all the original hardware to put back on. Fun project so far. I hope it works out. I've been thinking on the cup holders. got to be there somewhere.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #708
LT7A

Wow, this is quite a saga. I read your thread over the last couple of days and I'm very impressed. You have a calm way of going about the work you're doing and learning the necessary skills. The truck reflects your insistent efforts and is the quality of a project built by a good shop. I will enjoy following along now.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #709
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Wow, this is quite a saga. I read your thread over the last couple of days and I'm very impressed. You have a calm way of going about the work you're doing and learning the necessary skills. The truck reflects your insistent efforts and is the quality of a project built by a good shop. I will enjoy following along now.
WOW, thank you so much. you're comments mean a lot. There are only a handful of people that have seen Sanity in person and I am really proud how it's turning out. Things have slowed down a bit the last few weeks because of the heat wave we're having down here. I haven't had a chance to get some painting done on some critical parts right now and I'm waiting on new wheels to arrive.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #710
pdxhall

I've been a little quiet for a couple of weeks but I've got a few things done. There's something I've been avoiding talking about because I feel like a fool for what happened. It started back when I was first firing up Sanity for the first times. I was running straight off of the manifolds so it was very limited and I needed to get some sort of exhaust on to continue running the engine. For some reason I was very reluctant to do it myself....so I did some research and trusted Sanity to a local exhaust shop. This is the first thing I have trusted to anybody to work on my truck except for the upholstery on the seats. Well, I got the job done, and you guessed it, it sucked. It didn't look so bad from the underside and I still had the old plywood bed on. When I took the bed off to replace it is when I got a real good look at the work. I can't live with it this way but I won't go in to details now. So I've torn most of the exhaust out and I'm in the process of buiding my own 2 1/2" exhaust. Two steps forward one step back.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #711
cwcarpenter98

Dang, that sucks about the exhaust. I too have a not so great looking exhaust. It's something that I've wanted to do myself, just gotta find the time to do it. Your welding skills are better than mine though, so I'm sure it won't be too hard for you

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #712
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Dang, that sucks about the exhaust. I too have a not so great looking exhaust. It's something that I've wanted to do myself, just gotta find the time to do it. Your welding skills are better than mine though, so I'm sure it won't be too hard for you
Thanks Christian, it's going pretty well. I've got it set up, now tear down for welding and add some hangers.
I got my new wheels today. 17x8. I had to try one on Sanity. I'm lovin' them.
Now to get tires and get them mounted.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #713
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I've been a little quiet for a couple of weeks but I've got a few things done. There's something I've been avoiding talking about because I feel like a fool for what happened. It started back when I was first firing up Sanity for the first times. I was running straight off of the manifolds so it was very limited and I needed to get some sort of exhaust on to continue running the engine. For some reason I was very reluctant to do it myself....so I did some research and trusted Sanity to a local exhaust shop. This is the first thing I have trusted to anybody to work on my truck except for the upholstery on the seats. Well, I got the job done, and you guessed it, it sucked. It didn't look so bad from the underside and I still had the old plywood bed on. When I took the bed off to replace it is when I got a real good look at the work. I can't live with it this way but I won't go in to details now. So I've torn most of the exhaust out and I'm in the process of buiding my own 2 1/2" exhaust. Two steps forward one step back.
Sorry to hear about your exhaust. I just went yesterday to talk to a shop about exhaust. Like you no one has done anything to my truck but me. Now I am apprehensive. I hate to have anyone else do anything to my truck.

I hope you get your exhaust on soon and you will be better off for having done it yourself.

Love the new wheels!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #714
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Sorry to hear about your exhaust. I just went yesterday to talk to a shop about exhaust. Like you no one has done anything to my truck but me. Now I am apprehensive. I hate to have anyone else do anything to my truck.

I hope you get your exhaust on soon and you will be better off for having done it yourself.

Love the new wheels!
Thanks, I'm a lot more pleased with it already. I would make sure the the shop uses mandrel bent tubing. That's just my opinion after this adventure.
I'm hoping to get some tires mounted on the wheels very soon. If anybody has any suggestions or favorites I would welcome them.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:19 AM   #715
88Stanger

So i never went through your entire thread, i would read a page here to there, but damn i just did the entire thing today! What a crazy, fun and great adventure you have been having! Awesome work Sir!! Love to see what/where you started and where you are now... it great!
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #716
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
So i never went through your entire thread, i would read a page here to there, but damn i just did the entire thing today! What a crazy, fun and great adventure you have been having! Awesome work Sir!! Love to see what/where you started and where you are now... it great!
Thank you so much for the compliments and taking the time to read my thread. I started with not much of a budget, working full time, and being a single parent working in half of a two car garage. Now I have the best setup I could wish for but the older I get the tougher it gets but I can see the finish line and that keeps me motivated.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #717
pdxhall

So, the exhaust project is getting close to completion. The welding went okay and like anything learned I got better as it went. The bad news is I got literally 3 in. left on the last piece and my mig gun bit the dust. I learned to weld on my little Eastwood 135 welder and I love it so I bought the replacement gun made for the welder. It went on fine and I'm ready to go. I still have to get some hangers on but I know where I'll put them. Here are a few pics of what I've been up to.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #718
roll_the_dice

Congrats! Looks good. You have rams horn manifolds don't you? Can you show a picture of what you did coming out of the manifolds?
Old 09-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #719
pdxhall

Thanks. The front of the exhaust from the x pipe to the manifolds is still the work of the muffler shop. It is useable for now but I will redo it after I get a few more pressing things done. What I can tell you is I discovered a few things while the front was being done. I ran into the only downside I have found from moving the engine 2 1/2" forward. It made the passenger side coming off the manifold tricky, I knew it might be more than I wanted to attempt and is the main reason I sent it to a shop. All in all I ended going to a mini-starter and they ran 2 14" pipe off the manifold to the x-pipe. When I redo the front I will stick with the 2 1/4 coming off the manifolds but I will switch to 2 1/2" as soon as I can. Right now I'm getting some hangers figured out and tailpipes.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #720
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Thanks. The front of the exhaust from the x pipe to the manifolds is still the work of the muffler shop. It is useable for now but I will redo it after I get a few more pressing things done. What I can tell you is I discovered a few things while the front was being done. I ran into the only downside I have found from moving the engine 2 1/2" forward. It made the passenger side coming off the manifold tricky, I knew it might be more than I wanted to attempt and is the main reason I sent it to a shop. All in all I ended going to a mini-starter and they ran 2 14" pipe off the manifold to the x-pipe. When I redo the front I will stick with the 2 1/4 coming off the manifolds but I will switch to 2 1/2" as soon as I can. Right now I'm getting some hangers figured out and tailpipes.
Thanks, I knew we had the same manifolds and both moved the engine forward...so your truck is as close to my build as I have found so I watch yours closely as we are in similar stages also.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #721
pdxhall

I had an accident with the clearance lights I planned on using. After carrying these things around with me for years I dropped one of the lens and broke it. If somebody has an extra one lying around that they'll part with I would pay a fair price for it. pics of the lens for match up.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #722
pdxhall

It was a great day to pull Sanity out of the shop for some fresh air and a photo op with the new wheels and tires. I expect another inch or so drop as I add the hood, the glass, the bed wood and the tailgate and any settling of the springs.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #723
pdxhall

I've been working on wiring and test fit on the rear lights and tailgate. I painted the light housings with a clear coat and then a highly reflective chrome like paint on the fronts. All light assemblies are originals to Sanity. I have been finishing up the rear electrical and I am restoring the original bezels to a brushed look. The rear bumper will be either painted white or rechromed. I had to slightly modify the 67-72 rear bumper brackets to fit and the they bolted up to the original holes in the frame. The tailgate was a real pain to get on by myself and the help of my cherry picker.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #724
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Looking oh so good.
Perfect stance.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #725
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Looking oh so good.
Perfect stance.
Thanks my friend.
I'm happy to report that I found a replacement for my broken clearance light lens so I'm back in business on that project. I'm almost done wiring the taillights and I'm working on the tail pipes. I'll try to post some more pics later.