The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
76C10Stepside

What Would YOU Do?

I apologize in advance for the long post. I have a dilemma, and am hoping to get just the right advice on how to proceed.

Just replaced the right fuel injector on my 1989 S10 4.3 TBI auto trans. Note that this is an early 4.3, and a lot of things are different from the later models (read: before improvements made).

History: Had previously rebuilt the TBI. After rebuild, one injector failed and filled the crankcase with gas (discovered after running engine for about 2 minutes). Replaced the bad injector and changed the oil and filter. Did not drive the truck much after that due to electrical issues. Recently replaced the valve stem seals, which either got cooked or failed "naturally". Have been driving it regularly since. It runs pretty well, plenty of power, but intermittently idles too fast and rough. It has been using some oil, but no apparent leak or smoke (new seals cured that).

Decided it was time to replace that other injector.

Chiltons manual said for trucks equipped with the Model 220 TBI, just have to let the vehicle sit awhile (has sat for 2 days) to relieve fuel pressure. But, when I removed the top of the cluster, gas started running out. Not high pressure, but a regular stream (more than a dribble, less than a spray).

Used rags and paper towels to soak up the gas and plugged the hole, then proceeded to replace the injector. Had to do it three times to get the large o-ring to seat correctly, so there was more leaking than expected.
Some gas leaked into the throttle body, but most of it seemed to get soaked up or drip onto the intake manifold.

When I try to start the engine, it make loud noises like starter gear grinding, and stops trying immediately (like it's jamming). Only on one try did the engine seem to turn over at all. I'm not 100% certain that this is actually what is happening, tho. The starter is "near new" and has never done this before. Also found that it was low on oil, so added some.

Gave up after 15-20 tries and rigged the throttle to wide-open position. Do you think the gas in crankcase will evaporate, or am I wasting my time trying? Did I just have bad luck on the starter, or could this have something to do with the gas in crankcase? The last time, over a gallon of gas leaked into the crankcase before I was able to stop it, and it still started right up.

What would YOU do at this point?
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote