The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Mr_Rich

Gmc 4000

I'm working on a vehicle in a doc's private collection. I'm finishing up stages of a brake job on a '41 Packard. He's asked me if I want to tackle working on his GMC 4000 flatbed. It's missing parts and suffered from some terrible mechanic work that I can see right off the bat. I can do fab work on brake lines and stuff like that but I'm thinking maybe this truck is too far gone at this point. I believe it would require searching for boneyard parts and these parts would possibly be found in places one to two hundred miles away or more. I look at the rinky-dink way the line to the clutch master cyl. and it drives me nuts. I can't live with poor quality work like that myself and I'm thinking about telling doc he's got other projects that need more attention than this one.
Attached Images

1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
5Tractorguy

Re: Gmc 4000

It would be nice to see that 4000 get saved. From what little I can see from the pictures it looks to be in fair shape body wise. Not many 60-66 big GMC's out there compared to the Chevy C60's from that era...

Engine should be a 351 V6 (or larger) judging by the water pump cover. But then again it doesn't have the I-beam exhaust manifolds so someone could have changed the pump cover and thermostat housing. Probably a 305... have to check the casting numbers. I think 305's were standard in 4000's.

What is missing for parts that you need? There's gotta be some old iron sitting around out there on your side of the country...

That 4000 is probably different that my 5000, I had one master cylinder assembly for the brake and clutch (separate cylinders, same casting), they are still available online. Assuming that is newer than 62-63, it might have had separate cylinders for the brake and clutch all together.

All comes down to time and what he wants to spend of course, if it gets shelved for another day that's one thing, if it gets parted and junked, well... that's another...

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Mr_Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Tractorguy View Post
It would be nice to see that 4000 get saved. From what little I can see from the pictures it looks to be in fair shape body wise. Not many 60-66 big GMC's out there compared to the Chevy C60's from that era...

Engine should be a 351 V6 (or larger) judging by the water pump cover. But then again it doesn't have the I-beam exhaust manifolds so someone could have changed the pump cover and thermostat housing. Probably a 305... have to check the casting numbers. I think 305's were standard in 4000's.

What is missing for parts that you need? There's gotta be some old iron sitting around out there on your side of the country...

That 4000 is probably different that my 5000, I had one master cylinder assembly for the brake and clutch (separate cylinders, same casting), they are still available online. Assuming that is newer than 62-63, it might have had separate cylinders for the brake and clutch all together.

All comes down to time and what he wants to spend of course, if it gets shelved for another day that's one thing, if it gets parted and junked, well... that's another...
Thanks for your input. I think doc said it's a '62. I didn't know about this combo brake and clutch master cyl. There's a separate clutch master cyl. someone installed that uses compression fittings and small pieces of plumbers pipe. Unprofessional auto mechanic at work, IMO. The truck was painted on the exterior with a brush and red paint. Looks poor and sloppy. I'm sure there's parts on this side of the country, but I'm sure they won't be found inside of over a hundred miles from here. This area isn't one for big truck salvage yards. I came across a pic of the way this truck might have been configured.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
C10 - C90 Bill

More pictures would help, but so far the truck looks just fine to me.

Looks like it is well worth fixing.

It will be a work horse when it's finished.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
Mr_Rich

I'll take more pics when I have the chance.