The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
hammerdog57

link to mustang gas tank install

Did a search but couldnt find it. I remember seeing a thread about installing a 65-68 mustang gas tank in a 55-57 red primered big window pickup. If i remember right installation in thread wasnt completed because truck was sold. Anyone have the link?

Last edited by hammerdog57; 10-16-2011 at 05:51 PM.
hammerdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: link to mustang gas tank install

Here are some pics hope this helps some are from the hamb and the other on the web. What I did was drill ribits out of rear crossmember and flipped opposite way and moved toward the end of frame stock holes all lined up so it was an easy bolt in.
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
hammerdog57

What is are you using for a sending unit? I want to use the stock fuel gage.
hammerdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Rude Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdog57 View Post
What is are you using for a sending unit? I want to use the stock fuel gage.
Made a round metal ring and welded to top of tank added a little JB Weld epoxy around ring where I welded it for cheap insurance for leaks. I tapped the ring for stock sending unit. All I had to do was cut down a new stock sending unit replacement for depth of tank.
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
TA1754

I realize nobody has posted on this thread in a while, but I've been reading the forums all week, & looking to do this on my '58 Chevy stepside.
I have alot questions.

1. When relocating the rear crossmember, does it weaken the support for the stock leaf springs
2. What filler neck can be used for rear fill, & flip down license plate bracket
3 What size channel is used at the rear of the tank for support in the above photos.
TA1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

It does weaken the support in that area. I would leave the cross member in and mount to the lower rail. The fill is a 2" at the tank, You would need a tight 90 bend and a fill neck. You may be able to fab the old fill neck to work. As for the tank support 1" square tube 0.90 (3/32) wall would be good, make a box and sandwich the tank between the box and lower frame rail.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
TA1754

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
It does weaken the support in that area. I would leave the cross member in and mount to the lower rail. The fill is a 2" at the tank, You would need a tight 90 bend and a fill neck. You may be able to fab the old fill neck to work. As for the tank support 1" square tube 0.90 (3/32) wall would be good, make a box and sandwich the tank between the box and lower frame rail.
What if I got rid of the leafs?
I have a rear axle under the truck from a '77 Malibu wagon.
Would I improve the ride by going with a coilover setup, & thus not need to worry about the lack of support from relocating the crossmember?
TA1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA1754 View Post
What if I got rid of the leafs?
I have a rear axle under the truck from a '77 Malibu wagon.
Would I improve the ride by going with a coilover setup, & thus not need to worry about the lack of support from relocating the crossmember?
You only need the member in that position for the spring shackles. Using coils or coil overs you would move that member to the back because you do need something to stabilize the rear frame section and offer some protection for the tank.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

It doesn't seem like moving the crossmember would be THAT big an issue with a street truck like ours that is unlikely to carry much; if any significant load. I don't think I'd be too worried about that.

If the tank bolted to the upper flange without additional support, it'll bolt to the bottom flange with no structural concern. So you're suggesting surround the tank just for collision protection?

I'm thinking Rudy bolted it as he did - on top of a square tube spacer - to increase the ground clearance. Plus, MAYBE(?) that spacer serves to allow the tank to be removed from below if you can take that spacer out?

What I like about his installation is you can buy. New mustang tank for less than $100 brand new. That makes welding it doable. I'd never try welding on a used tank, full of water or otherwise.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, so I just checked eBay and there are lots of new Mustang tanks in the $100+ range all the way up to $700! Why the hell would you buy something for $700 that you could get for $100+?

What irritates me is that the otherwise-identical one listed there that is already configured to fit a '55-'59 Chevy truck is $218. Doesn't cost an additional cent to make the sending unit hole a different shape but they're sticking us for an extra $100 because they can. Damn.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The original tank is a bottom sender/pickup tube with no fuel tray for EFI. You then have to modify it for the correct sender or make some kind of adapter for it to work with a early GM gauge, You then need a pump that has a fuel tray adapt that to the tank. If your not doing efi then a $80 tank would work but may fail inspection because you can't use a bottom pickup tank in anything that it did not originally come in. Bottom pickup or a sump pickup are not legal any longer.

We did this whole discussion 2 weeks ago about $80 tanks.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=396325&page=3
Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Ok, so I just checked eBay and there are lots of new Mustang tanks in the $100+ range all the way up to $700! Why the hell would you buy something for $700 that you could get for $100+?

What irritates me is that the otherwise-identical one listed there that is already configured to fit a '55-'59 Chevy truck is $218. Doesn't cost an additional cent to make the sending unit hole a different shape but they're sticking us for an extra $100 because they can. Damn.

The $218 one is for EFI and it does have internal modifications and external changes. Its nothing like the $80 tank and it won't work for a stock mustang car. Its coated steel and has the proper holes for EFI pump and sender. The $80 stock tank has one hole near the bottom of the tank for a pickup and sender. It won't work for EFI at all without a lot of modifications.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Ok thanks.

Well, I'm not doing EFI and there are no inspections on cars in California but still I'd definitely not want a bottom sender so back to the drawing board I suppose. It didn't look like Rudy's ("Rude Dude" above) was a bottom anything.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Ok thanks.

Well, I'm not doing EFI and there are no inspections on cars in California but still I'd definitely not want a bottom sender so back to the drawing board I suppose. It didn't look like Rudy's ("Rude Dude" above) was a bottom anything.
The tank at the top of this page is a bottom pickup/sender that he modified to use a top pickup on. Its in the from bottom of the tank. The picture is a stock tank.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Does the $200+ tank work with a carbureted engine without modification?

With the stock Mustang tank (lower priced) I'd have to not only weld shut the bottom sender hole but also cut a hole for a sender on top, AND figure out a way for the filler spout to come up perfectly vertical instead of canted to the rear as it appears to be in the pic's.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Does the $200+ tank work with a carbureted engine without modification?

With the stock Mustang tank (lower priced) I'd have to not only weld shut the bottom sender hole but also cut a hole for a sender on top, AND figure out a way for the filler spout to come up perfectly vertical instead of canted to the rear as it appears to be in the pic's.
The $218 tank has a place for the sender and another for a pump or regular pickup tube. The pickup tube is about $30 and the sender is about $30 so for $260 shipped you just mount it and plumb it. No welding or making ford senders work with gm gauges.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Spblack

Quote:
The $218 tank has a place for the sender and another for a pump or regular pickup tube. The pickup tube is about $30 and the sender is about $30 so for $260 shipped you just mount it and plumb it. No welding or making ford senders work with gm gauges.
Wheres the link for the $218 tank?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=606412

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7560906
Spblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #18
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spblack View Post
Wheres the link for the $218 tank?
Its actually $210

http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MU-HT

It doesn't come with the cap shown. It comes with a bolt-on neck. a rubber gas hose and the gaskets for pump/pickup and sender.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
legotech7

This is the tank I'll be using for my 70 C10 from Tanks Inc. # MU-H it comes with with the location for the sender at the top and a 3/8 pick up tube at the front of the tank or the back, depending on how you look at. My only concern is how to vent the tank with out adding or drilling any additional hole in the tank I called Tank Inc, and they just said to use a vented cap, but there has to be another way to vent it properly. I got this tank on ebay for $204.00. I was looking for something I didn't have to modify too much, and since My truck is bagged, the tank sits up in the frame. I had a LMC tank in there before. It just looked to ugly, and sat too low.. If anyone has any suggestions I sure would appreciate it...

I hope this link works...
http://www.tanksinc.com/cartimages/prod_zm_310.jpg
legotech7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #20
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You don't have many options with that tank other than drilling and welding in a bung or drilling a hole in the sender and tapping a 1/8 pipe for a fitting or using a vented cap.

Had you gotten the MU-T you would have the pickup and sender in the top and the pickup for an MU-T has a vent pipe port.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #21
legotech7

I did think about the MU-T, but its a efi tank. Would it have made a difference? But drilling and tapping a hole in the sending unit might do the trick, sound easy enough....

Thanks Dave.....
legotech7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #22
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The EFI tank has a fuel tray and a standard pickup can be used instead of a pump. Major difference is that it has the pickup and the sender on top.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #23
paintman

Here's another way to do it with external electric pump. This is the tank I am putting in my 46. My plan is to start off using the sump hooked to the engines fuel pump. Then, if I ever want to switch to EFI, I already have the scavenge sump built into the tank.
http://www.glennsperformance.com/pro...roducts_id=188
Here's a bad pic but you can just barely see the supply nipple coming out of the sump.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #24
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You still have to find a way to convert the Mustang sender to a GM Gage unless your going after market. With the MU-T or MU-HT you can get the EFI tank, sender and carb pickup for under $290 shipped and its EFI ready and no sump. Sump connections have been banned in most states for anything but racing. If NJ DMV sees it they may fail your inspection.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #25
paintman

Quote:
You still have to find a way to convert the Mustang sender to a GM Gage unless your going after market. With the MU-T or MU-HT you can get the EFI tank, sender and carb pickup for under $290 shipped and its EFI ready and no sump. Sump connections have been banned in most states for anything but racing. If NJ DMV sees it they may fail your inspection.
truck is registered with QQ plates= no inspection in NJ
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote