The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2004, 02:50 AM   #1
vinkalor

Rust protection for frame

What works for protecting frames from rust? I want to bring my '59 up from OK to northwest WA and don't want the bottom rusting out on me when it gets here. Ideas and recommendations welcome.

Havagudden!
vinkalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
Smokie55

I have been looking around for something that will work good and not "pop" off later. I have heard bad things about the Eastwood encapsulator. And seen it fail on a friends vehicle. ALso i have heard good and bad about POR15. I know the down side for me is I have heard it will come off in spots. Not good enough for me.

I did however find a company that is from Texas. They had a booth at the huge Pate swap meet last time. I saw some samples of their stuff applied to different applications and with a varying degree of debris present. It all looked to coat very well. I am just about finished sanding my frame down and will be getting this stuff in the next week or so. It's called Rust bullet.

here is the link. http://www.itkillsrust.com/

Like I said I saw this stuff first hand and was completely impressed with the coverage and durability. I am sold on it. Good luck on your project.
1972 K5 blazer "Rusty" - 400/TH350/NP205 - Yeah it's big alright!!
- Founding Member of Southern Bowties Club -
Smokie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
mark johnson

Hi, i am also restoring a 59 and am using rust bullet verses por 15 and am quite happy. i am concerned a little bit about its ability to hold primer and paint. i did everything they said and it just seems to let go of the paint quite easily. it may be that after 90 days it has not set up enough yet but you would think so. as far as the product, you can hammer on it and it dont come off the frame of sheetmetal. Mark
mark johnson is offline   Reply With Quote