The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
jim-bob

Removing/Rehanging Doors

I'm at the stage of removing the doors on my 67 GMC (my first)..I've searched a great deal for anything showing the correct way with no luck..I was told that I need to drill 2 holes thru the hinge plate while door is still mounted to cab so it will match back up better for rehanging..makes since I guess but DO I NEED to drill both sides of the hinge plates so it will match back up to the door AND the post? I cannot find any builds on here or video's on line showing folks removing the doors and rehanging them, etc..Is it always done by drilling or is there other ways? I have removed my doors WITH the hinges left on the doors..Should I have left the hinges on the cab? Please and Thank You!!
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
swamp rat

Re: Removing/Rehanging Doors

You don't NEED to drill the holes, its just a way to get you close on reassembly, you can also take a sharpie and mark the locations on the door sill and add a cross mark for additional alignment reference.

Doing this by yourself is kinda a PITA but it can be done, some people have made a holder for there floor jack to sit the door on, in their garage or shop and that works great for holding it in place while bolting/unbolting.

It can be done without removing the fender but its a lot easier if you do, this requires hood removal and grill removal, also the inner fender can come off with the fender, or it can be removed first but you best be soaking all the bolts with some PB Blaster a couple 3 times a day for a few days and expect that you may need to buy replacement capture nits that clip onto the fender when it comes time to rebolt the inner fender.

I have done mine using the arm strong method with all the internals and side mirror in place but sans the inner door panel so i can grab the inside of the door, it makes for a lot of weight tho, if you can get a helper to hold the door while you unbolt it. I have unbolted the hinge from the door while sitting in the opening and supporting the weight with my legs, but as i said i think its easier to remove the fender, at which i would unbolt the hinges from the cab with the door shut, then press the latch and pull the door out.. Below is a couple helpful threads.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157539
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=598617

One of the reasons i don't like drilling is if your hinges are warn they need to be replaced or the pins replaced, that alone changes the hinge placement.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote