The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
tj62

62 slave cylinder push or pull?

I've replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder, bled the slave cylinder and when I push the clutch it forces the push rod backward, toward the back of the truck. The plate the end of the pushrod sits on is already pulled toward the back of the truck by the hold spring.

I still can't get it in gear, though I know its bled and installed correctly. Just to clarify, the slave cylinder PUSHES the rod back which pushes the plate toward the back of the truck right now. This doesn't make sense due to their being a spring already pulling the plate back.

Any ideas? Its not supposed to pull the plate forward right? Is something going on in the transmission to keep that plate toward the back? Just got this truck and they told me the slave cylinder needed replaced, but they hadn't worked on the transmission.

Help me!! thanks!

Edit: I just put it in gear adn tried to start it and the truck jumped so I know it'll go into gear. Whether I push the clutch in or not, it still jumps and the truck rolls. It stays in gear until I try starting it and it rolls and i can pop it out of gear. The bar that the pushrod is in is staying toward the back of the truck (the direction the slave cylinder is supposed to push it) and doesn't come forward. What does that mean and how is it best fixed? And does it mean there is something wrong in the trans if the forked plate is already all the way back and I can't get it to go into gear with the truck running? Sorry, just starting to get into the rebuild, not much prior knowledge of vehicle work. Thanks!

Last edited by tj62; 09-18-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: update
tj62 is offline   Reply With Quote