The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #26
dave`12

Re: Gifted a 68 c20- what to do

@whitecst

You make excellent points. My reasoning is based on my skill level. The swap I mentioned is so much easier for a shade tree guy like myself (not only to install, but to tinker with as the years go by). All those electronics are just too much for me, and I like to do things myself rather than pay someone (that's the fun of the hobby for me).

Also, the 5k was a brand new, top of the line 375hp warrantied GM engine complete with a/c compressor, power steering, etc. It could be had cheaper. The 350 I put in my truck was a craigslist engine that came with everything from air cleaner to oil pan for 800.00, and it runs great.

I'm not trying to argue. Like I said, you make good points, and your skill level is way beyond mine.

It was just a suggestion.
dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #27
clay68c10

If you want to drive an NV4500, come on up to centennial. My 93 has one.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #28
Woody2shoez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave`12 View Post
@whitecst

You make excellent points. My reasoning is based on my skill level. The swap I mentioned is so much easier for a shade tree guy like myself (not only to install, but to tinker with as the years go by). All those electronics are just too much for me, and I like to do things myself rather than pay someone (that's the fun of the hobby for me).

Also, the 5k was a brand new, top of the line 375hp warrantied GM engine complete with a/c compressor, power steering, etc. It could be had cheaper. The 350 I put in my truck was a craigslist engine that came with everything from air cleaner to oil pan for 800.00, and it runs great.

I'm not trying to argue. Like I said, you make good points, and your skill level is way beyond mine.

This is exactly my reasoning as well. Where did you get that 5k motor from? Everything ready to go just makes it so much easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Woody2shoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #29
WhiteCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave`12 View Post
@whitecst

Definitely wasn’t trying to come off as arguing or rude, many apologies if I did! And I agree, a ready to go crate engine is the simplest as far as plug and play for sure, and can be more reliable off the bat and the peace of mind from a warranty is another huge benefit! But you guys have got to try an ls at least once in your lifetime! It may not always be easy but it’s rewarding and a ton of bang for the buck.
2006 Dodge Charger RT

Built TH400 for Sale
WhiteCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:45 AM   #30
1972RedNeck

I think y'all are barking up the wrong tree. Swap out the 250 for a well built 292 coupled to an NV4500. Add fuel injection and you are looking at a stump pulling mileage getter with low end torque an LS could only dream of.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #31
Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
I think y'all are barking up the wrong tree. Swap out the 250 for a well built 292 coupled to an NV4500. Add fuel injection and you are looking at a stump pulling mileage getter with low end torque an LS could only dream of.
A 292 would be cool…..

Looks like you are on the right track Woody.

Each person has to consider not only what they want their build to be, but also their skill level, available tools, resources, shop space, spare parts, AND spare time.

And remember, you can have Awesome, Cheap, or Easy, but not all three.

This guy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=517347 did an LS cheap, but he got his transmission for free, and it seems he is pretty handy at programming and wiring the engine control module. Something like that would take me months to figure out, if I could do it at all. And if I couldn’t, then I would have to end up paying someone to do it.

I was seriously considering an LS swap for a while, but after talking to a few different people, and reading a bunch of articles, I am leaning towards a 383 stroker. The main reasons are that I think I can get 375 HP and 400+ ft*lb torque from a 383 with vortec heads, and it would be a less complicated swap. I still like the idea of fuel injection, and it seems like the Holley and FI tech packages are within my ability to install.

The key words are “ability” and “cost.” What things can I do myself and save money and what is that going to do for my final price tag?
If I can find a good price for a machine shop, use my old block(or even use an inexpensive donor block), and assemble my own motor, then the small block 383 might be the less expensive option.
If I couldn’t assemble my own motor, and my only option was a $5,000 small block 350, then the LS swap starts to seem like a better option.

At the end of the day just make sure you are comparing apples to apples, and not comparing the cheapest LS swap to the most expensive small block Chevy crate motor.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #32
dave`12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2shoez View Post
This is exactly my reasoning as well. Where did you get that 5k motor from? Everything ready to go just makes it so much easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jegs, here is one example. Summit is also a good option.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Eng...gn=retargeting

Here is another, much cheaper. Never dealt with this company:

https://www.westcoastengines.com/chevy-350-engine

@whitecst - I did not take you as being rude. Just trying to avoid an escalation that sometimes happens in threads. As I said, you make some great points.

Last edited by dave`12; 07-09-2018 at 11:20 AM.
dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote