The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #26
55dude

Re: '59 Apache Camaro IFS project

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
Ok, im never going to finish this project when I keep finding new things to change. However, as low as my engine is, the dish in the fire wall is not necessary. Even for my distributer to come in and out. I want to smooth the fire wall out but I think im going to graft a section of a tailgate into the fire wall so that i get the "CHEVROLET" in the firewall. I need to track down a donor tailgate and get to work. I don't want anyone to get jelous of my sweet microsoft "paint" skills! I think some of the tailgates have a script lettering instead of the block letters. I would like that more. Just to get an idea of what im talking about:
oh dude i'm jealous of your skills! looks great so far and those the no limit dvd is a good one if mine ever gets returned.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #27
Fat Mike

Can you show some close up pictures of the graft of the subframe. Especially where they both tie into each other! Thanxs!!
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #28
Fat Mike

How did you reattach your body mounts to your frame since you moved them back 9.25"?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #29
nikwho

FatMike, I welded them. I'm kind of regretting that because I dont want to have to worry about them. I wish I bolted them in place of the rivits!!!! I will come back to that and address it. I just dont know how just yet.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #30
nikwho

I got the engine installed. I ended up going back to the camaro engine mounts and clamshells. In the end they put the engine right about where I wanted it. My father and I got the engine stabbed and hooked everything up and broke it in this past weekend. Everything went well. now I need to hang the front fenders and fab up the radiator support mounts and bumper brackets.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #31
nikwho

Next week I will be hooking up the steering and installing a new power steering pump and gear box. As well as ordering the new wire harness. I have not picked one out yet. Being a budget build, can you guys reccomend a good wiring harness kit? I'd rather not pay the prices of the painless wiring kits. Are there any cheaper, good quality harnesses out there???
Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #32
nikwho

After wiring the truck, a bench seat and a drive shaft would make it driveable. Its tempting to go drive it around for a bit! But I think that its getting taken back apart to finish the frame work and to paint the frame. Then i'll have body work to do all winter. Paint and hopefully completion by this coming spring!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #33
nikwho

See how fast i work!!!!! The camera can't even catch me!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #34
Fat Mike

Thanks for the info. I just finished boxing in the body mounts and did not know if I should weld them or bolt them in. I will bolt them in because of your advise. Anxious to see how that firewall comes out!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #35
Spackle100

http://www.rebelwire.com/ is the cheapest I have found.
Spackle100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #36
Spackle100

Quote:
Next week I will be hooking up the steering and installing a new power steering pump and gear box. As well as ordering the new wire harness. I have not picked one out yet. Being a budget build, can you guys reccomend a good wiring harness kit? I'd rather not pay the prices of the painless wiring kits. Are there any cheaper, good quality harnesses out there???
http://www.rebelwire.com/ is the cheapest I have found and has been used by some respectable builders on here.

Last edited by Spackle100; 11-11-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #37
nikwho

Thanks Spackle! i'll check it out. How's the surf out there?? I moved to Flagstaff from Carlsbad in dec of 2004. I'm looking for a way to move back home!!! It won't happen any time soon but I still love getting out there and surfing any chance I get!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #38
Spackle100

Quote:
Thanks Spackle! i'll check it out. How's the surf out there?? I moved to Flagstaff from Carlsbad in dec of 2004. I'm looking for a way to move back home!!! It won't happen any time soon but I still love getting out there and surfing any chance I get!!!
Oh yeah? Right on. The surf has been pretty fun man, we had a terrible summer but the last 4-5 weeks have been great. I get out about 3-4 times a week si I really can't complain
Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #39
hammerdog57

Quote:
I got the engine installed. I ended up going back to the camaro engine mounts and clamshells. In the end they put the engine right about where I wanted it. My father and I got the engine stabbed and hooked everything up and broke it in this past weekend. Everything went well. now I need to hang the front fenders and fab up the radiator support mounts and bumper brackets.
Did you move camaro motor mounts from stock location? Could you measure from bottom of rocker to floor with the weight of engine on frame? How much clearance between distribitor and firewall?
hammerdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #40
nikwho

The Camaro engine mounts ended up in the factory location. I tried some other positions and different height by making my own frame brackets but factory engine mounts with the clam shells in the factory position ended up working the best. However, mine will be 1" further forward than doing it by the NoLimit DVD. My truck has a 115" wheel base. Factory shortbed has 114" wheel base. I moved the front tires(the entire subframe) forward. I have about two inches or a bit more from fire wall to my HEI distributor. It dropped in without any problems what-so-ever. I'm not at home so I cant measure right now.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #41
nikwho

Well, I hit a major road bump (losing all of my measurments to re-attach front '59 frame stubs to the front of the camaro sub frame) that lead to letting the truck sit from some time in Nov to now. I got a little burnt out and with the below zero weather recently and not having an adequate heater for my garage. It has warmed up and I have gotten a little work done. I have boxed up the front of my subframe with 1/8" plate that will hold up the radiator support and serve as a mounting location for the front bumper. Not super fabrication by any means but it got me past my road block. Now I can move on to other aspects of the project!
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #42
Fat Mike

Looks good! Keep going and don't give up.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #43
Kim57

Looks like that should work just fine.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #44
nikwho

Well, we're getting closer! Got the wiring harness ordered, '69 mustang fuel tank ordered and Dropped off the aluminum driveshaft (that I got off of a '98 chevy truck) at the driveline shop to get chopped down, new u joints and balanced. Also picked up a bench seat out of the same '98 pickup. Everything will be here by the end of the week. Ordered the wiring harness from Rebelwire.com. We ordered the 14 circuit harness and they sent us an 18 circuit harness, which we are totatlly pleased by! It'll be good to have some extra's since we are running a lot of electric stuff. Im thinking along the lines of:
headlights, blinker/tail/brake lights, gauges, radio, ignition, electric fan, electric fuel pump, dome light, electric choke, radio constant, backup lights, tach, cell phone charger, horn, wiper motor, heater(maybe AC in future). Thats already 16 circuits. Im not a pro at wiring so i'll have a lot of questions when I get to that stage!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #45
nikwho

I got the front clip back on. My goal for this week is to get the spring perches welded up and the rear axle bolted in, to finish fabricating the transmission crossmember, and perhaps get the inner fender wells trimmed into shape and bolted up in place. That may be a little over confident, but I figure that I will be motivated since im getting a bunch of new parts to play with. I will also be figuring out how im going to mount the mustang fuel tank and get the electric fuel pump bracket fabbed up. I'll post some progress pics this week!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #46
nikwho

Well, Here is how she sits post camaro sub-frame. Im going to have to do a mild c-notch. Its so cold here that I cant get motivated to work on it. It's 11 degrees outside right now with a wind chill of -4 degrees! Tomorrows high is expected to be 14 degrees and windy. That should yeild a wind chill that makes it feel like about 0 degrees. I really want to get this truck done but not that bad! I guess that I need to address the garage lighting situation so that I have enough light to work in the garage with the door closed and an electric heater on.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #47
Fat Mike

Like the stance alot! Keep up the good work. Did you try a fender to see what the wheel placement looked like?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #48
nikwho

Yeah. It looks good. Im gonna run air bags I decided though. I think that the wheel sits perfectly in the wheel opening. Im stuck at work for a while but i'll post pics with the front clip back on this weekend. It has the front clip and hood back on now. I need to finish up shortening the bed so that it can go back on the truck. It'll be interesting to see it all back together.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #49
Kim57

I like the stance also.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #50
Fat Mike

I am going to use firestone 2500 for the front and made my own airbag brackets. I can get the air bags for $100 for 2 bags. Look at my Project 47 GMC build and you will see how I made my brackets.

Last edited by Fat Mike; 02-02-2011 at 01:38 AM.