The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #201
Kevin_C

Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetside - NZ Build

Actually that picture helps a lot thanks. I have two vertical holes as well on the left side that looks like I can fill.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:44 AM   #202
QBRacing

My Latest Video is now up covering off all the bits Ive been attacking.

Basically I have strated to bolt the front end back together now. I have a small alignment issue on the front panel to the door location on the RHS which I am sure I will sort before too long.

I mounted my early xmas present to myself, a massive 14"x5" K&N air filter .... Now thats what I call an engine bay ... time for the napkins fellas.

Today I decided to re-route the LS steam vent piping today from the engine to the radiator as I wasn't happy with placement before. Well worth the cost of some new -4 and -6 fittings. (see pics below)
Attached Images

QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:53 AM   #203
QBRacing

So I have been busy over the last few days and buttoned up the front end hopefully for the last time.

I made this QUICK VIDEO showing my plans for the front bumper mod and for the 2nd engine start up of my modified LS1 engine (and I dont even have a mafless tune yet).

Enjoy

Q
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2019, 12:52 AM   #204
QBRacing

well I've been at it again over the last couple of days. no video updates but I do have a couple of pics.

basically I redid my kick panels without the speakers and covered them in a black vinyl. I used some black screws to the inside panel and even made some brackets for the courtesy lamps to mount up out of sight. I also mounted the a/c vents for the final time.... super happy with the end result.

I finished the steering column and bolted it all in place. for the last video it was just sitting there. with that done I was able to finally join the column to the steering rack with my 2 piece intermediate shaft. I still need to figure out how/where to mount the rose joint for the lower support but my certifiers not back for another week. still looks awesome as well
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #205
Kevin_C

I had a question about your steering joints. I'm to the point of ordering couplers for mine. Was planning on going with Flamming river stainless 17mm DD on the rack and 1"ddx3/4 DD for my Ididit column. I noticed you went with a splined middle joint. Did you go splined for adjustability? Also what manufacture did you go with. I only saw flaming river list DD or splined on both ends. I wish I could use the original vette setup as it still looks brand new but I'm running out of time and can't mock it up until I get the rack back(two weeks), firewall finished, engine sorted and re-installed
Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #206
QBRacing

Kevin
I went splines centers to ensure we could get accurate clocking top to bottom (plus that's what they had anyways). Unfortunately I dont know the manufacturer. Being we are in New Zealand they probably come from China or Tailand. They are stainless and good for 38 degree angles. I couldn't tell you more than that though.

good luck with your install.

p.s I've just got my 2x custom p/steer tubes back and installed and have designed the L bracket to hold the rosejoint to the chassis on the lower section. almost complete now

quintin
Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #207
Kevin_C

ok, good to know. I may have to wait till I have my rack in. Currently looking at around $600 in joints and shafts.$550 for my power rack, $560 for my column and drop and looking like another $4-500 on my wheel. Who knew steering would cost so much but its all useless unless you have all the pieces.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:04 AM   #208
QBRacing

Just a couple of pics to show the steering intermediate finally fitted.

Didn't take much really, just a piece of 3mm galv plate, extend the 90 degree bend (with use f a hammer and vice) , then I drilled a couple of holes in the plate and the bracket for the C4 Corvette Suspension chassis boxing and presto ..... the steering column is complete

The top bearing is a bit graunchy so I might pull it apart and replace it (are all late model chevy car/truck columns the same (bearings held in a piece of plastic)

Pic 1 - looking down
Pic 2 - looking up
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #209
QBRacing

Why is it that the small things take longer to fix than the big things.

So my steering is completely finished (bar the mount for the bottle). I made this quick YOUTUBE VIDEO showing all the components from start to finish incase it can help someone else in the future.

------------

Ive also been working on the column selector setup to work with the 4L60E. Why is it non of the aftermarket guys support this .... they all seem to say evverything but the 4L60e.
Regardless I bought the Lokar ACA-1804 cause I figured I could mod it to work and well..... I did and it doesnt take much.

Here is a LINK TO MY HELP TREAD on this forum

Here is a YOUTUBE VIDEO showing the mods and how I did it. If Im no professional and can figure it out Im sure some of you smart cookies can as well. (KEEP IN MIND) ... that the angle of the column support bracket will effect the length of the cable throw between park and low.

------------

I have also come up with ingenious ways for the factory VT Commodore (SS CHEVY) accellerator pedal and cable to work with the Holley 4150 throttle body I am using and for the factory VT Commodore handbrake (e-brake) to work with the old clutch hole which I am not using ..... pretty trick if I dont say so..... more to follow as I find the time to finish those bits and relocated the remote brake resevoir to make it all work and look purdy.

Q
Old 03-08-2020, 11:42 PM   #210
QBRacing

So i have finally got back into it just before I move and put the truck into storage for a few months.

The accelerator cable and pedal are installed and while working I think I need another bracket to assist with some flex I am getting through the pedal near full throttle. I made this Video which kind of shows it,

No major picks other than the one below.

Ive also made some custom alloy breather and expansion tanks for the engine bay ( which you can also see in the bow pic)

Q
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2020, 01:01 AM   #211
QBRacing

Well I guess i have done something right .....

IT MOVES UNDER ITS OWN POWER.

YOUTUBE Video can be found here ...

Now I can get it to storage next week .... woohoo ....
Old 04-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #212
QBRacing

With Corona Virus locking NZ down since mid March 2020 I was unable to move at then end of March but managed to get the truck back from storage on the last day before lock down. Over the last few days Ive managed to get some work done on it.

I've hung the hood and doors on the 58 Apache Fleetside and while there is some alignment work to do Im pretty happy so far.
The RF guard has a threaded lower nut at the bottom of the guard so i will need to do something there to allow it to fit correctly and the hood hinges are shot so I will need to get some billet replacements i guess :P

All of this can be explained in my latest Youtube Video.

Ive almost fully installed the one piece Specialty Power Window electric window kit however cant do any more as the lockdown means I cant get the door glass made to allow completion.

Ive also final mounted the Vintage Air fan controls and glovebox panel as well as modifying the 1/4 kick panels so I dont need to keep removing the vents to access anything behind.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #213
QBRacing

And we have moved into our new place, sorted out a few small issues with it, nand now I have tools and truck all in 1 place so can start working on it again....

I just received the custom 1 piece glasses so can start installing them into the doors too.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2020, 12:56 AM   #214
QBRacing

Well, after I got the 1 piece glasses made I coudn't find the channels they sit in to attach to the auto motor system. On top of that the truck would not start after moving twice so ive ben doing a lot of fault finding....

Glass & Gremlins before fault finding began ...

And then, out of the blue the other day I figured it out after ruling out no bad earths, good PCM wiring but no running.

No Gremlins + More Parts

In short , I decapped the injectors planning on a twin turbo build but then changed my mind and went NA with a super victor setup. In short with a stock tune I was dumping up to 2.5 tmes the required fuel and within 4 starts (maybe 5 minutes runnning total) I had fouled the plugs so bad I had no spark. I mean.... the plugs looked like they had done 100,000kms on a car with bad seals and rings. (the pic is after the first soak in some brakeclean)

In light of that, Ive just got some new injectors from an 02 (which flow slighty more), cleaned the plugs, and sent the PCM off for a base tune with someone 3 different people recommended.

That should allow me to get it running more consistently and then I can start on finishing the cab.

Q
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2020, 02:43 AM   #215
daveshilling

Yeah that will definitely do it!! Those decapped injectors DUMP fuel big time.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #216
jwhotrod

when you get tired of sending the ecm off for programming you can changed to Holley efi and self learn/do your own programming.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #217
GreasyLikeaBurger

If your injectors were running that rich, I would suggest doing an oil change. The manufacturer I work for had issues with some of our high end cars running rich at start up. What was happening was, the cars were sitting at the port waiting on delivery and they kept starting them and moving them a really short distance. Only a few minutes at a time. So over a few weeks of that, the oil became thinned out. We actually had issues doing the PDI, with the oil gauge showing really low pressure. Had to do several oil changes to clear them out.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:32 AM   #218
QBRacing

ITS ALIVE AGAIN

1 dodgy spark plug lead, 1 dud spark plug, 1 Corvette filter/regulator supplying only 30psi is just the start of why it didn't work.

New Leads, New Plug, New VT Commodore fuel filter, New Deatschwerks Pressure Regulator, Mafless basetune installed, wiring re routed and now it cranks on the key and is ready for the exhaust shop on Monday the 30th November.

Oh and I have had the 1 piece windows glued into the window rails.

As always, I have another VIDEO for you
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #219
FarmerSid

Nice to have it figured out. Been watching your video's. I've got C4 stuff in my build too

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:46 AM   #220
QBRacing

Exhausting Stuff

You guessed it. I have finally fitted the exhaust. Listen to it here

The driver side goes up between the gbox and break booster, over the x-member and down again to a joiner. There are also 3, yes 3 heat sheilds, 1 for he g-box wiring, 1 for the booster, 1 for the master. The joins will allow me to remove the front section for some heat treating after x-mas.

The passenger side is similar but doesnt have to clear anything so was way easier.

Both sides are 3" and have a h-pipe join before a pair of 3" Flowmaster delta 55's.

On the output side of things it is a simple 3" down turn just inside the rear guard atm but I plan to go out through the guard shortly.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2020, 02:50 AM   #221
QBRacing

Oh .... and I am test fitting some mags over the weekend. If they fit I will be getting them asap.

USMag Hustlers - 20x9.5 (3" lip) and 22x11 (4" Lip)

Think they will look sweeeeeet even though I am not a fan of the staggered look. But the rear tyre has to have some meat to it and I will quite possibly be the only set in that size and stud as we need to order them in special.

Q
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2020, 06:03 AM   #222
QBRacing

Omg. They fit..... just.

With new pads fitted the backface of the mag clears the Corvette caliper lettering by 1mm (max 2mm) and I have 7.5 turns on the bolts. Full lock clears everything front and back

I think ild run a 5mm spacer to be safe and I will need a centric ring also for our certification process here in NZ but all of that will depend on if I can get a 5mm longer C5 Corvette wheel stud, if not, I'm shagged

That 3" front dish is amazing to look at....
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #223
jwhotrod

if those wheels use shank type stud nuts you shouldnt have to increase the stud length 5mm (.196") thats not enough to change the thread engagement. if you have at least 1.5 x thread diameter engagement. thats the advantage of using shank type nuts.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #224
QBRacing

We need 6.5 turns to lock here in NZ when certing a modified vehicle. The factory C5 studs give me 7.5 turns.

I haven't checked yet but assuming it's a 1.5 thread pitch if use a 5mm spacer I will loose just over 3 turns, leaving me 4.5 turns to lock.

I therefore need to find at least 2 turns to get back to our cert levels meaning the studs will need to be at least 3mm , yes just 3mm, longer to do this.

Its the rules we live by here in NZ when we modify cars but what can you do?
Old 12-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #225
QBRacing

I might even just do the 20x9.5 in the too after test fitting.

I would need to widen the rear wheelarch 2" to get the 22×11" to fit and I think the tyre will be very close to the rear a arm mounts at that width too. Will miss that 4" lip but 3" is enough..... lol
Attached Images