The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
kenny4454

Shifter detent plate in wrong positon

On my 67 C10 with an auto th350 column shifter, I have to pull the shifter towards me to go from L2 to L1. After looking at the manual and searching the forum I noticed that my shifter detent plate near my upper shifter linkage adjustment is in the wrong position. I was able to take the bolt out of the column to rotate the shifter detent plate. However it does not have a bolt hole to fasten down in the new position. How do you adjust his plate when it seems that there is only one position to line up the bolt hole on the column. For me when I do that my detent plate is in the wrong position (between L2 and L1)
kenny4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Shifter detent plate in wrong positon

I myself am looking for some help some what related to your situation. My 1972 c10 w/th350 also does not align with indicator. When I had a friend hold the shifter in the 'park' position according to the indicator on column, I disconnected the shifter bracket at transmission. The transmission was not even in a detent position.so I went to the closest one which clicked first, when I asked him to loosen his grip I then placed the selector shaft onto the shift detent bracket at transmission. When I went to cab to see where it landed, it was in 'L-2' !!!!! WTH?! lOL! So when I got back under the truck I removed the shaft once again and moved the shift detent bracket to the furthest detent possible to the rear of transmission, when I reattached the shifter it was way lower than 'L-1' so I repeated the process in opposite direction. When I tried to attach shifter to bracket, I noticed it had resistance. Looking up through headers to steering controls I noticed the 'Parking Pawl' mechanism. Telling me I was close. So I asked him to pull shifter towards steering wheel while I positioned the shifter to bracket. When he released the shifter it was at about the 1 o'clock position if you were seated in cab looking forward at the steering wheel. Pretty much off the indicator completely. What's the deal here? I have spent HOURS searching these forums,Google,Google images, and YouTube. And I am serious when I mean HOURS. All I need is a picture of the side of the transmission (th350) showing the angle and orientation of the brackets mounting hardware. (Is the hole on bracket on the top or bottom, is the spring retainer pushing the shifter away from the transmission body or towards the transmission body? Sorry to hijack your thread, maybe both needs could be met with one post.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote