The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #176
SCOTI

Re: No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbo View Post
@robnolimit

With that kind of drop, clearance doesn't start becoming an issue? ( Both ground clearance and exhaust routing)

I remember seeing a crossmember with the center section hummed and two cutouts for exhaust routing, but im not sure who made it, i wanna say Porterbuilt but im not positive
The obvious answer to this is yes, clearance becomes an issue w/a 5"F/7"R drop. The exhaust needs to be routed up as tight as possible to the frame. Within the frame yields best results. That can be achieved via aftermarket T/A x-member (Porterbuilt, ECE, CPP, etc...) or cutting holes & reinforcing the factory x-member. Certain long tube headers might be a clearance issue as well so shorter 3/4 length or manifolds might be needed.

As far as ground clearance, w/a 5/7 drop one needs to become more aware of the roads they drive on for best results (minimal damages) depending on overall conditions where you live & just plain slow things down when traveling in unfamiliar areas. The usual point of contact is the front lower a-arm pivot points when there's an abrupt change in road surface @ speed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #177
Cbo

That's kind of what I'm getting at:

"Designed to work with stock crossmembers" and "will not work with aftermarket crossmembers" are two different things.

If it can be bolted on to a low profile one like porterbuilts,with its exhaust route already accounted for, I would rather install it that way.
Cbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #178
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbo View Post
That's kind of what I'm getting at:

"Designed to work with stock crossmembers" and "will not work with aftermarket crossmembers" are two different things.

If it can be bolted on to a low profile one like porterbuilts,with its exhaust route already accounted for, I would rather install it that way.
I don't think there exists an aftermarket crossmember that doesn't afford more flexibility than stock; if a system works with the stock crossmember, it will almost certainly work with an aftermarket.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #179
robnolimit

please be careful. Yes, our kit is designed to work with the OE crossmember. This was done to keep cost inline and keep the install easier. It DOES however include new front trailing arm mounts, designed to replace the OE mounts. The "Monster Ball" dimensions are NOT the same as the OE trailing arm bushing. So, the new mounts MUST be used. (or duplicated) If the custom crossmember your looking at has the trailing arm mounts welded on for the OE spec bushing, this will NOT fit the new trailing arm pivot ball. Since most crossmembers I have seen have welded mounts, I don't know of any that will be a direct swap. (please share information if you know of any) Knowing this, modifying the OE crossmember may work out best.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #180
smbrouss70

FYI, the Early Classic Enterprises trailing arm crossmember does have the bolt-on mounts, Rob. But the crossmember is flat with one "ear" of the mount longer than the other to make up for the fact that the OEM crossmember is angled where the mounts attach.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #181
SMKN TA 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
FYI, the Early Classic Enterprises trailing arm crossmember does have the bolt-on mounts, Rob. But the crossmember is flat with one "ear" of the mount longer than the other to make up for the fact that the OEM crossmember is angled where the mounts attach.
I have recently bought the No Limit Trailing arm setup for my truck project, and also picked up the ECE/brothers/etc trailing arm cross member too. I am having some steel bushings made to fit No-Limit's trailing arm setup. All thats needed is a lathe, and some material to make some simple steel bushings to take up the gap due to the smaller width of the monster balls versus stock trailing arm bushings.

I also have a Porterbuilt cross member on order to see which one I like better as far as fitment and exhaust pass through.
1972 Chevrolet C10 Cheyenne - SOLD
RaceWire Solutions
SMKN TA 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #182
Cbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKN TA 95 View Post
I have recently bought the No Limit Trailing arm setup for my truck project, and also picked up the ECE/brothers/etc trailing arm cross member too. I am having some steel bushings made to fit No-Limit's trailing arm setup. All thats needed is a lathe, and some material to make some simple steel bushings to take up the gap due to the smaller width of the monster balls versus stock trailing arm bushings.

I also have a Porterbuilt cross member on order to see which one I like better as far as fitment and exhaust pass through.

Let us know how your install goes!
Cbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #183
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. What's the dims on your bushings?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #184
Rickjz

A question for Rob. I purchased the trailing arm kit for my 71 Blazer.

1: In your installation photos, you show two pan-hard bars connected to the bracket. Are there two?

2: The front trailing arm mount has two holes for the arm to attach. Which one do I use?

3: Should I remove the stock shock brackets from the frame?

Thanks
Rickjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #185
Rickjz

I think I have figured out question number one after going over the previous posts.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #186
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickjz View Post
I think I have figured out question number one after going over the previous posts.
Quote:
1: In your installation photos, you show two pan-hard bars connected to the bracket. Are there two?
One of those bars is a 'gusset' for the Panhard bar. It triangulates the frame mount.

Quote:
2: The front trailing arm mount has two holes for the arm to attach. Which one do I use?
Whichever gives you the best geometry for your set-up.
Quote:
3: Should I remove the stock shock brackets from the frame?
If you have the equipment, why leave them behind? If you don't, find someone to nix them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #187
Rickjz

Thanks for the response. I did remove the shock mounts. What am I looking for regarding rear end geometry? Am I trying to match pinion angle with transmission yoke angle?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #188
robnolimit

Thanks for the help Scoti

Old 11-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #189
effects66

Quote:

Would like to know how the fitment is with the porterbuilt cross member. I currently have the PB crossmember now and was thinking of getting the training arm kit from no limit.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #190
Coldshot

Sort of a weird project that I'd like to know if this could be made to work with.
I'm swapping my 51' Chevy body onto a 01' Silverado/sierra frame. I need to shorten the wheel base about 17" and want to ditch the leafs.
If I was to get the PB crossmember and your kit, would I run into any frame width issues you think?

I'm open to any other options you have as well. I saw you have a kit for the stock frame for my truck as well on your site. Would that be better?

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #191
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Sort of a weird project that I'd like to know if this could be made to work with.
I'm swapping my 51' Chevy body onto a 01' Silverado/sierra frame. I need to shorten the wheel base about 17" and want to ditch the leafs.
If I was to get the PB crossmember and your kit, would I run into any frame width issues you think?

I'm open to any other options you have as well. I saw you have a kit for the stock frame for my truck as well on your site. Would that be better?

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I won't say that this 'can't' be done, but I'm not sure I would advise this as a good idea. You could install a PB crossmember, but the front trailing arm mounts would need to be swapped for ours, not sure that is as easy as it sounds. And, that is the easy part. The rail shape of the '01 is not really conducive to the trailing arm suspension. More than that, I need to point out that a bigger concern may be width. The 47-54 Chevy's need a WMS (wheel mount surface) width of appx 58 1/2" to set down and fit a normal spaced wheel. The '01 WMS is close to 65" - I don't know for sure, that's web data, as I don't work on them, - you should measure. But this extra width will push the wheels outside the wheel openings and not let the truck sit down. If you want it 'up' that's OK, I guess. So you have this 01 chassis, which gives you front and rear suspension, rear axle, and eng/trans. Now, you have to shorten the frame, you want to change the rear suspension, the rear axle is too wide, and so is the front suspension, Also, I will take a guess that you will want to lower the front at some point. If your OE 3100 chassis is in good shape, start there. the body will fit correctly, and modifying the front/rear suspension will be easier. Just my $.02, Good Luck.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #192
Coldshot

Thanks
The width is something I wanted. I know this is the reason people stay away from these frames but I'm planning to radius the fenders for clearance. Seen one truck with it done and I like the look.
I don't have the original chassis and the other reason I'm doing it this way is to use the wiring from the sierra to transplant into the other truck.

I can't shorten the frame as there's not enough from under the cab to shorten what needs to be taken out. I've thought about 4 link and 3 link setups as well but I've been threw your make it handle thread a few times and like this style.

So if I were to just use your kit for the 47-54, besides track width, would it be close enough to work with. The part I'm thinking is going to be an issue would be the coilover mounts.

Thanks again.

Once again if you have something else that would be simpler I'm open to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #193
SMKN TA 95

Mỹ project is going together, and got spacers made to run the No Limit Trailing arms with the Porterbuilt Boxed inner stiffener. These are made out of steel plate on a CNC machine.

1972 Chevrolet C10 Cheyenne - SOLD
RaceWire Solutions

Last edited by SMKN TA 95; 01-27-2017 at 11:15 AM.
SMKN TA 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #194
SCOTI

Nicely done.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #195
aboyer
Adam B

Quote:
Mỹ project is going together, and got spacers made to run the No Limit Trailing arms with the Porterbuilt Boxed inner stiffener. These are made out of steel plate on a CNC machine.

Hey SMKN TA95,

Would you be willing to post where you had these made or information about them. I will we willing to buy two of these for my future build.
aboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #196
effects66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyer View Post
Hey SMKN TA95,

Would you be willing to post where you had these made or information about them. I will we willing to buy two of these for my future build.

I second that. I have just installed the porter built crossmember and was thinking is upgrading to the no limit trailing arm kit
Old 02-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #197
implanenuts

So in one of the posts it sounds like you cannot use original drum brakes due to parking brake cable routing issues. Is that correct or did I miss something? Being bolt on is great but if I then have to swap to disk brakes that would make me second guess.
implanenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #198
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by implanenuts View Post
So in one of the posts it sounds like you cannot use original drum brakes due to parking brake cable routing issues. Is that correct or did I miss something? Being bolt on is great but if I then have to swap to disk brakes that would make me second guess.
No you can use OEM drum brakes with this kit, what was asked was why is there was no bracket ( Tab) to hold the parking brake cable to the No Limit trailing arm so the cable can be routed along the trailing arm Like the OEM trailing arm ,
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #199
implanenuts

Ok, I thought one of the post's mentioned that the coil-over was in the way of the cable routing.
implanenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #200
SCOTI

Rob..... 2 questions for you:

1) Was there a reason you chose the sleeve mounting arrangement top & bottom vs a dbl shear bracket set-up?
2) What is the angle on the C/O's? I'm curious is it looks close to what my shocks have & I was worried about angles impacting their performance. Didn't know if its just as important w/the C/O arrangement.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG