The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #126
Desert1957

Re: 1949 Chevy 3100 - the journey begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
Absolutely and it is a great question. There is definitely a point where you start considering if it is worth looking for a full chassis compared vs. piecing together the front and rear clips.

My recommendation is try to really consider all your factors - money, time, your labor capabilities, and use for the truck. In my case, I had saved up a certain budget for "Suspension upgrades" so I had a fixed budget. I had priced out AME, RideTech, TCI, and other companies and no one could come close on price from me going this route. I also gave myself quite a window of time to get the suspension done so I didn't need something immediate which a full chassis helps you.

Also me personally - I did not want to do a S10 swap. So that was pulled from the cards immediately.
Thanks for the info
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #127
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
Thanks for the info
Anytime. It was definitely something that I also considered.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:54 AM   #128
1950chevy4x4

Quote:
This weekend I was able to sneak away to the garage on Sunday. The garage is getting smaller and smaller by the day so I needed to organize everything and get some things off the floor. Once that was done I pulled the cab. Thanks to everyone who has posted tips and tricks on making the cab hoist - it really makes life so much easier when you are by yourself.

The garage is getting a little tight....

Tonight the girl was out with her friends so I pulled the motor and transmission. I am hoping to get to a bare frame by Sunday so I can start remove the shackles and the crossmember.

Cab hoist? I'm doing the same as you using my engine hoist to move my cab around. What is this hoist you are talking about?
1950chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:37 AM   #129
Desert1957

Any updates on this build?
Old 05-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #130
Flysocal

I really like the orange paint. If It were mine I would run it as a patina. I was blown away at the price of a quality paint job. With a patina truck it not only looks cool but you get a sleeper and it retains its utility as a truck.

As for the chassis keeping the original frame is really cool but trust me when I say its a bunch of work. In addition to AME I would look at NO LIMIT and SCOTTS HOTRODS. I've been happy with my stuff from Scotts and I've called No Limit a couple times with tank questions and they always pick up their phone. Both companies stand behind their product.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #131
focusedontheprize

Sorry guys, we have been busy the last few weeks with friends visiting so I haven't been on this as much as I would like to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950chevy4x4 View Post
Cab hoist? I'm doing the same as you using my engine hoist to move my cab around. What is this hoist you are talking about?
I was referring to the wooden cab hoist that I attach to the cherry picker. It made life so much easier and it was great that I could do it by myself.

Quote:
Any updates on this build?
Not too many unfortunately. A lot of chassis work at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
I really like the orange paint. If It were mine I would run it as a patina. I was blown away at the price of a quality paint job. With a patina truck it not only looks cool but you get a sleeper and it retains its utility as a truck.

As for the chassis keeping the original frame is really cool but trust me when I say its a bunch of work. In addition to AME I would look at NO LIMIT and SCOTTS HOTRODS. I've been happy with my stuff from Scotts and I've called No Limit a couple times with tank questions and they always pick up their phone. Both companies stand behind their product.
Thanks, my father is incredibly talented with a paint gun and after learning how much a quality paint job costs I have a new level of respect for those guys. I love the orange, I will end up probably scuffing it with CLR to brighten it up and go from there.

I can definitely understand your point on the chassis and looking at an after market, however I really wanted to take this project on myself. A ton of work, yes, however I am looking forward to everything I am going to learn. I may be cursing those words down the road.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #132
focusedontheprize

Like I mentioned, it has been hard to escape to the garage for the last couple weeks so progress has been slow. I put the suspension back in and leveled out the frame to take my center line measurements/marks for the IFS and rear suspension swap.

Next was removing the remaining parts on the frame so I have been tackling rivets the last week. My plans is to remove all the parts that are riveted on the frame and will in the end weld in nuts to bolt them back in. It was stuff like this that really bothered me and I wanted to start fresh...

Removed the center crossmember..
Old 05-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #133
focusedontheprize

I sold the front axle setup this past which I was happy about. This list will continue to grow...
Old 05-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #134
1950chevy4x4

Quote:
Sorry guys, we have been busy the last few weeks with friends visiting so I haven't been on this as much as I would like to.

I was referring to the wooden cab hoist that I attach to the cherry picker. It made life so much easier and it was great that I could do it by myself.

Not too many unfortunately. A lot of chassis work at the moment.

Thanks, my father is incredibly talented with a paint gun and after learning how much a quality paint job costs I have a new level of respect for those guys. I love the orange, I will end up probably scuffing it with CLR to brighten it up and go from there.

I can definitely understand your point on the chassis and looking at an after market, however I really wanted to take this project on myself. A ton of work, yes, however I am looking forward to everything I am going to learn. I may be cursing those words down the road.

Do you have any pictures of your hoist? I just about dropped my cab on its face the other day and i don't need anymore dents in it.
1950chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #135
focusedontheprize

Sent you a PM
Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #136
99 to Life

leveling the frame is an underestimated task. be way easier with a frame table thats for sure. good luck with the to do list. as for rivets. I use the cutoff wheel and make a buch of slits in them, then pound them out, usually works well.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #137
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
leveling the frame is an underestimated task. be way easier with a frame table thats for sure. good luck with the to do list. as for rivets. I use the cutoff wheel and make a buch of slits in them, then pound them out, usually works well.
Yeah similar technique. X the head and then knock them off with the chisel and pound them out. That is what I have been working on and am finishing today.

Removed the cab mounts, running board brackets, and front crossmember. I welded in 1x1 braces to hold it all together for the sandblaster. This frame has 6 rivets left on it and it is ready for the blaster this week.

Once I get it back from the blaster, I am going to epoxy it and start working on the crossmembers and start mocking up the suspension.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #138
Desert1957

WOW , That's what I call a stripped down frame.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #139
Flysocal

Oh man I don't miss this part of the build but it's the best way to go for sure, get it done right. I removed everything except the front crossmember (core support), cab mounts and rear crossmember. It feels nice to have clean parts after blasting and start building it up.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #140
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Haha, well that was the goal. Rivets and I have a really love/hate relationship now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
Oh man I don't miss this part of the build but it's the best way to go for sure, get it done right. I removed everything except the front crossmember (core support), cab mounts and rear crossmember. It feels nice to have clean parts after blasting and start building it up.
Yeah, honestly you have discussed it before about the time and labor vs. buying a frame done from AME, TCI, RS, No Limit, etc. I figured if I was going to do it, I wanted to do it right so that meant removing everything. "TheSilverFox" did the same thing in his build.

I plan on bolting the front and rear crossmembers back in and will square up the frame - then start building new crossmembers and will remove the old. The driveshaft loop you have in yours is one I am going to use so thanks for answering the questions around it.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #141
joedoh

man, a punch list, a plan, a milestone end date, I gotta admit I am a little excited here.

Quote:
yeah its one thing to SAY you are going to go that far.. haha.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #142
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
man, a punch list, a plan, a milestone end date, I gotta admit I am a little excited here.

yeah its one thing to SAY you are going to go that far.. haha.
Yeah well lets see how well I do with this plan!

Called the sandblaster and he is backed up for 2 weeks so I am going to drop it off and hope for the best. Should give me some place in the garage to start disassembling the cab and filling the holes.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #143
99 to Life

you have a good foundation there. I would love to go the blaster route, but they are just too iffy in my area. My builds are always on a timeline and budget. Haven't gotten one fitted in yet. but maybe someday. be nice to powder coat it too but again just hard to cue that up and again more money. But some epoxy primer and a good topcoat would be real nice too.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #144
youngrodder

Looks good. On my Suburban frame I had it chemically stripped and it turned out great. Looked like new when I got it back. The key was my frame was fully dissassembled for my Porterbuilt kit so that allowed them to fit it in their tank..

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #145
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Looks good. On my Suburban frame I had it chemically stripped and it turned out great. Looked like new when I got it back. The key was my frame was fully dissassembled for my Porterbuilt kit so that allowed them to fit it in their tank..

Marc
I was debating on that route too. My '65 was blasted and it came back beautiful too.

I love clean metal haha.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #146
focusedontheprize

Not too many updates for this week. I finally was able to get the blaster situation figured out and dropped off the frame on Saturday. My epoxy arrived on Thursday so we are all set. The blaster told me I can expect to pick it up next week which is great.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #147
Desert1957

Quote:
Not too many updates for this week. I finally was able to get the blaster situation figured out and dropped off the frame on Saturday. My epoxy arrived on Thursday so we are all set. The blaster told me I can expect to pick it up next week which is great.

Just noticed you removed the running board braces before blasting and coating, any reason?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #148
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Just noticed you removed the running board braces before blasting and coating, any reason?
I wanted to remove all the rivets from the frame so the blasters could throughly clean the frame as much as possible. I plan on welding nuts on the inside of the frame rail and bolting them back into place.

Last edited by focusedontheprize; 06-26-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #149
focusedontheprize

I picked up the frame Saturday from the sandblaster. That was a challenge as I had to beat the rain to get it home. It looks great and I am jumping right in.

Started to fill the holes on the driver's side and tonight I cut out some plugs for the larger holes. I had one of my three allowed "why the h*ll am I doing all this work to a frame that people won't even see" thoughts. I figure I can get the holes filled and finished by the time I have my third. Hahaha.

Driver's side done

Old 12-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #150
Desert1957

Any Updates?