The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
resin addict

Question Where do I start

Hi folks,
I need some advice.
I just bought a '59 Chevy Apache that I'd like to do a mild custom on.
It's a stepside with a 283 automatic that runs great.
What I'd like to get done are the following, however, since this is all new to me, I have no idea what the most efficient order of attack is.
By the way, when I say "I" I mean my mechanic, I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but I'm planning on leaving the important work up to the experts...my brother-in-law is a mechanic who manages a shop, and I'm partners in another business venture with my best friend who owns and operates a body shop.
I want to put a new IFS on it with power steering.
Possibly disk brakes (is this part of the new front end?).
I want a new tilt steering column with shifter (currently a floor shifter).
I'd like it dropped 4 to 6 inches; looking for advice here, I like the lowered look but also want something that's still practical to drive. I've seen ads in the magazines for hub to hub IFS's that claim to drop 5" will this work, or is there a better way?
Finally, I want to change the color. Currently it's kind of robins egg blue (I believe this was a factory color) with a white top and sun visor (blue painted interior), and I want to go with bright fire engine red inside and out.
This truck is in great condition, body is solid w/o any rust, and the only evidence of any previous body work is the drivers door panel has some filler in it. Floorboards are solid, and the frame is straight (amazing for a truck that old in Michigan)
I bought it about 60 miles north of where I live, and drove it home after having a shop check it out, and it was nice and smooth, even at 70 mph.
Like I said in the beginning, I know what I want to have done, but don't know where to start, and don't want to waste any effort by doing one project and then having to re-do it because of the next thing.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give and I look forward to spending a lot of time here.

Randy
resin addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Bruce B

Cool

In my humble opinion the best place to start is find yourself a late 70's early 80's v-8 camaro and take the front subframe out and have it welded into the frame on your truck. ( not a job for an amatuer ) This gives you front disk brakes, power steering, V-8 motor mounts and lowered suspension all in one package. after that get the front clip redone and go from there.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
resin addict

Thanks for the advice Bruce,
Is this a better option than the aftermarket IFS's I see advertised in the magazines (Heidts, etc.)?
resin addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:36 AM   #4
Bruce B

Talking

The sub-frame route was the best for me. Primarily due to initial cost. The IFS crossmember kits are very costly, Also very nice! I was looking into them when this camaro fell out of the sky. I couldn't pass it up! Something else I've noticed at shows and swap meets is that most of the trucks like mine that have been customized have the camaro subframe. I'm not sure how accurate of an indicator that is?????But I think it says something. Anyone else out there have an opinion?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I had a 69 Camaro Sub on my 47 Chevy sedan, she handled like a Cadillac!
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 12:30 AM   #6
original69

I have the 78 Z28 Camaro sub on my wifes 59 and i would say it has the best brakes of anything i have owned. It handles good and rides great. If you are a decent welder i have a video from 'NO LIMIT ENGINEERING" that goes through the process of how to graft one on. When i get it done this fall i will post pics on the board...
92 Grand Prix (also wifes)
99 Grand Cherokee
LOOKING FOR A 1952 FORD SEDAN EMAIL IF SOMEONE KNOWS OF ANYTHING!
original69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #7
Bruce B

Thumbs up

I figured we'd get some positive feed back on the camaro sub-frame judging by how many I've seen done that way! I haven't had a chance to drive my '59 yet, but I can't wait! I've still got the cab interior to paint so I can install wiring harness/column, pedals, etc.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Michigan? That's where Rico's Rods & Relics is!

Grand Rapids? Hey we are practically neighbors! So it sounds like you've found a nice truck! If you are looking for an IFS and custom parts then I recommend you visit my web site. Thanks! rico_bob

www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote