The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
Boog
laying low

favorite old things

Most everyone hangs onto old things for one reason or another be it sentimental value or a it's just plain old cool reason and some hang onto things for monetary gains later. I have only a few things I think a lot of.
I have my dad's 38 S&W police revolver he bought new in about 1950. In the 70's he had it nickel plated with pearl handles added. I have the box it came in too. It's a beauty and like new. I have this outboard motor he bought new in 1959. It's a Sea King 5 hp he bought new from Montgomery Wards. He didn't have a boat but he had his own motor. The area lakes all rented flat bottom boats for $1 per day back then so he reasoned he didn't need to own his own boat to store and pull out each time he went fishing. He stored this motor standing up and always ran all the gas out of it each time before putting it away. He didn't have a truck so he carried this motor in the trunk on a blanket. To this day it starts on the 3rd pull every year and runs quiet. I have some of his tools I wouldn't take anything for. I have some tools that belonged to my granddads, some carpentry and mechanical also. Just to pickup and hold some of these things makes you think about how well some things were built back then and how they were used.
I have an '87 Monarch fishing boat on a '81 trailer I have had for a long time with an '81 Mercury 7.5 hp motor also like new. I like the Sea King more.
There in the shop floor is a turbine paint spraying system dad bought in the 80's. TP brand I think. Pretty nice unit. Oilless and dry air.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: favorite old things

that's cool....always liked them old boat motors...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

My father in law had dual Wards Sea King motors and the Sea King boat too.. he did brake a lot of sheer pins,, maybe they were t o soft of metal ,, never really did know about that .
Old 03-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
powerdriver

Guess I Don't keep stuff long , Once It Gets old around here it's wore slap out .

I am happy with my wife my but like everything old she's wore out .

About the only thing usable are the Craftman tool boxes I bought back in the late 80s . They looked pretty bad a couple years ago . Asked a guy to grab a wrench for me ... He looked at that box and asked if he needed to get a tetanus Shot 1st .

So being as school bus yellow was close and cheap ....
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
Coley

I have a few really great old things that are important to me...almost all are/were from my Dad.
I will try to post up some pics but mostly they relate to his life growing up on a farm in rural Alberta in the 40's and 50's....interesting time in history.

They include a collection of winchester rifles he acquired during that period....some great stuff in there and all of then over 100 years old.
As well, there is the original wooden wall phone from the farm...which uses the old bell and horn in order to communicate.
I have that thing mounted down in my shop in the basement.

....I will try to get some pics of this stuff posted up...I think a lot of you guys can appreciate this type of thing.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
yuccales

Next to my wife, these are the most important things I own. The two "gallery guns" have great sentimental value, but my Dad's humidor & pipe are not replaceable. My dad taught my sister & I how to pack the bowl a certain way so the pipe would draw properly. It was a big deal when dad would ask one of us to load the pipe! (imagine a parent doing that nowadays) My sis got the job of slicing the apple that was to keep the tobacco moist in the humidor. Boog, thanks for posting, as it brought back great memories.
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I have more old things than new. I'll take old over new on most anything and that's where I've ended up. It's all special to me, but I do have things that are personally sentimental. Many things I've had for a long time. I started caring for and collecting Matchbox cars once I started out growing them. That was right when Hot Wheels came out. I only bought one Hot Wheels that first years, the Mustang and I still have that. I live in an old house, have antique furniture, many pf the lights in the house are restored antique. It just goes on from there, all the way to the rolling garbage can I was issued in '87 and keep it going still. I put new plastic wheels on it when an original broke and last year one of those broke. Now it has a pair of steel wheels/pneumatic tires . I'd get them to give me a new one but they are smaller now. "Don't make them like they used to"

I had a Sea King just like that, I believe. It belonged to an old friend's dad, same kind of deal. He had it since new. He might have had a boat or two of his own along the way, but he still had the one I had on a stand. I kept it running and used it a good bit over the years, but had to let it go. I hadn't been using it. As I recall it was built by Evinrude
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-18-2019 at 11:48 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Not quite sure of the total age, but the only really old thing I have besides me is this Japanese wall clock. I found it in a small local antique shop in northern Japan when I was there and bought it as a Christmas gift for my dad in 1977. It drove my mom nuts and my dad loved it. It dongs every 15 minutes, plus the longer fancier ones for the hours. MY mom was so glad to see it quit qorking! After my dad's passing my mom let me have it. It still does not work. I have looked once about 10 years ago for a clockmaker/repair guy and he told me it might be possible, but many of the internals are hard if impossible to find on that model. It will always hand in my man cave/computer room, working or otherwise.

Near as I could ever dig up it is now around 75-90ish years old.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
Boog
laying low

My mom left her wall clock to me. I’ve never had one before. My sisters and I are going through mom’s house sorting things and discovering many things about mom and our family. Our women were quilters and knitters I tell ya. And we are just getting started.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #10
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Not quite sure of the total age, but the only really old thing I have besides me is this Japanese wall clock. I found it in a small local antique shop in northern Japan when I was there and bought it as a Christmas gift for my dad in 1977. It drove my mom nuts and my dad loved it. It dongs every 15 minutes, plus the longer fancier ones for the hours. MY mom was so glad to see it quit qorking! After my dad's passing my mom let me have it. It still does not work. I have looked once about 10 years ago for a clockmaker/repair guy and he told me it might be possible, but many of the internals are hard if impossible to find on that model. It will always hand in my man cave/computer room, working or otherwise.

Near as I could ever dig up it is now around 75-90ish years old.
I totally get where your mom is coming from. My wife's dad left her a wall clock and it clang's away every hour. It really bugs me, but it was her dad's and she loves it. So it stays.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I was 17 years old when I and a friend stopped at a old house that the the people who had lived there for many years had passed on and all was being sold . it was an auction and I decided I wanted to buy two things ,,a set of world books of encyclopedia britannica and a old 1922 Brunswick wind up Phonograph .

A man heard me say that I was going to buy these two things and he told me that we would be bidding against each other and for me to pick one or the other of he two and he would we each would not have a bidding war with one another,,

So I chose the Record Player.. it still plays as I keep the spring unwound durring most of its time I have had it ..

I had just got a job and wanted to spend some money and I loved old thngs htat had working parts.. the friend with me thought I was crazy wanting this old recored player . It is 97 years old

Last edited by GOPAPA; 03-21-2019 at 10:36 AM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
mingoman

I've got a lot of odd old things, but some of my favorites would be my grandfather's truetone guitar and his JC Higgins 20 ga bolt action shotgun.
My grandma's bible, printed in 1943, would be another one up there and her journals from 70-72. It's still nice to read about her busy days. This lady ironed everything she washed, bedsheets, underwear, socks. If it was washed, it was ironed.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
Killer Bee

I have lots of old things, really don't care for much in the way of new things

speaking of Wards boats - our little putt around v-hull is an '81 Wards Sea King on an '82 Sea King trailer..

same vintage as Mrs. Bee, 10 years my younger

sold new - boat $729 and trailer $329, no receipt for the motor but it's a 15hp Evinrude..

Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #14
Boog
laying low

And that's a dandy looking rig right there too.
A few years back I had an old Elgin 7 hp outboard that had belonged to my uncle. It ran good but I could not find a water pump impeller for it. I gave up the hunt and gave it away for scrap. It looked as good as my Sea King and almost as old.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #15
shp4man

Twelfth year birthday present from my dad. Cost about $12.50 at Sears in 1965. Stock's been refinished, barrel is perfect. Dead nuts accurate, always has been. Untold number of .22 LR rounds fired. Many birds, snakes, cans, rats, even a woodpecker once. Felt bad. Ate it. kinda chewy. . Hey, I was 12 years old.
Still have it. Always will.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #16
cornerstone

My Grandpa was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army. He spoke 5 languages and flew gliders with 11 other spies under the cover of darkness across enemy lines in WW2. He gave all of his men gold coins to carry on each mission to use for bribery if needed. All the soldiers returned home safely and no coins were lost. After the war, he made jewelry out of the coins. These were handed down to my mother and before she died she gave them to her sons. My brother has a bracelet with 8 gold francs, and I have a ring that has my birthstone in it. My Grandpa and I shared the same birthstone, and I remember being a young boy and him telling me about the ring he had made, that it would eventually be mine. I’m very proud of him.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #17
shp4man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
My Grandpa was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army. He spoke 5 languages and flew gliders with 11 other spies under the cover of darkness across enemy lines in WW2. He gave all of his men gold coins to carry on each mission to use for bribery if needed. All the soldiers returned home safely and no coins were lost. After the war, he made jewelry out of the coins. These were handed down to my mother and before she died she gave them to her sons. My brother has a bracelet with 8 gold francs, and I have a ring that has my birthstone in it. My Grandpa and I shared the same birthstone, and I remember being a young boy and him telling me about the ring he had made, that it would eventually be mine. I’m very proud of him.
Really nice.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:50 AM   #18
dieseldawg142

my dad's dad fought in WW2, he came back with this German Luftwaffe officer's dress dagger. after he died, it went to my dad, he's not dead, but i ended up with it a few yrs ago
Name:  IMG_4057 (2).jpg
Views: 102
Size:  24.5 KB

lots of old junk hanging around my place, but this old tackle box is from the 60's. my dad bought it new, i grew up with it, but he has'nt fished in 20 yrs, so i have been using it with my son. it's the only tacklebox i have owned or known my whole life. (50+)
Name:  IMG_4055.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  32.5 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #19
ApacheNick

I'm not all that interested in anything new.

Besides cars and trucks I also collect and restore tube radios, mostly the big console radios from about 1928-33/34.

1961 Apache short stepside 4X4 SBW 348/4 speed
1960 Apache C-20 long fleet custom cab BBW 283/4 Speed
1967 rust bucket Olds Cutlass with a 455
1972 GMC K-15 350/4 speed long fleet
ApacheNick is offline   Reply With Quote