The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #1
wyoben

Clutch kit Questions 91 K1500 build date 25/01/91

Howdy everyone , I have a 1991 K1500 Chevy W/LO5 5.7 eng ,it has the Getrag 5 speed MG5 ,MM5 this truck appears to be built the 25th of January 1991 .It appears that in Feb. of 1991 there is a different clutch requirement . I'm looking for a good replacement clutch and am leaning towards a LUK kit .I will list the potential options .I measured the original , and it looks like 12 inch pres.plate , havent measured exactly , yet , but it looks like some of these offered are 11 7/8 and 11 .9 ? and there is a 12 inch as well . Does anyone know what the difference might be in the " January " and " February " clutch may be ? And Im concerned that it being so close to cut off date , that it could go either way ?Any one have any clutch kit reccomends , it is a standard duty truck nothing Hi performance . here is what i found

1. LUK 4064 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=682&jsn=682

2.LUK 04902 heavy duty rep set https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1993&jsn=690

3.LUK 04122 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1993&jsn=690

Im open to suggestions and help thanks in advance
wyoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:42 PM   #2
crsgmc

Re: Clutch kit Questions 91 K1500 build date 25/01/91

I am afraid that information may be hard to come by on this issue. The standard transmissions trucks were not very popular. I purchased a 1996 K1500 truck about 5 years ago. It was a low rust, good body, but had a lot of mechanical problems. I paid 2800.00 dollars for the truck. The clutch was really bad, I could barely hold the clutch pedal down, it was that stiff. When releasing the clutch the whole truck shook violently. Four years ago I replaced the engine (with a GM new Crate engine 5.7) and a boatload of other parts, including the clutch. What I did for the clutch was install an Exedy Clutch Kit. I think it was part number 4170. It was four years ago, but I seem to remember that it listed two different sized clutches. I am not positive, but I think I measured the existing old clutch and ordered that one. I replaced the disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing, piolet bearing, these all came with the "kit". I also have a 5 speed Getrag transmission. If your throw out bearing goes out in the future, you will have to pull the transmission out or move it back far enough so you can access the bearing.. I know I am not much help, my only suggestion is to buy a kit, not just the clutch. I have had good luck with the Exedy brand clutch and it now has over 16,000 miles on the clutch. All the problems with the old clutch were gone after replacement. I should mention that I replaced a lot of other parts that might have also been the problem. I replaced the flywheel, engine mounts (they were both broken), transmission mount.

Just noticed that you are from Wyoming, I live north of Carpenter Wyoming
crsgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #3
wyoben

Re: Clutch kit Questions 91 K1500 build date 25/01/91

SHHHH...don't tell anyone how nice Wyoming is ! lest we be flooded W/ Non-deplorables
Anyway , I just want to go with a standard clutch , I salvaged the trans from my 91 K1500 ,the clutch and Pressure plate actually look good , but it has a part # for the 6.2 diesel ? These are great trucks any way you slice it !
wyoben is offline   Reply With Quote