The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
bbrriiaann1973

12 bolt posi choice

What do you think about using a Lock Right Posi in a 69-72 k5 Blazer/ Jimmy?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
A1971Blazer

Re: 12 bolt posi choice

Will you be doing any kind of off-road driving with it? If so I wouldn't recommend it..all it does is replace the side gears with a rather weak ratchet type unit...most people calll them "lunch-box" lockers......cheap compared to a regular style locker but nowhere near as strong....just my 2¢ (and personally seeing them fail)
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
Jesse B.

The "right" posi or locker choice depends upon what you are going to use it for, the size of your tires, torque output of your engine, and your budget. If you are going for hard core wheeling where you run a risk of having one of the rear wheels in the air while going to pass an obstacle, drive it little on the street, are running 35+ tires, have a powerful engine, then a locker is the right choice but I agree with A1971Blazer that a lock right is probably not the best choice. I've seen many of these types of lockers survive some abuse, but not in a 5000 pound truck with a large engine and large tires. If it is mainly a trail rig, then go with a detroit locker. These are tougher than hell and probably not much more money than the lock right. If you are going to also drive it on the street, and you can afford it, go ARB. I've had both the detroit and the ARB and the detroit is awful on the street. The rear axle can load and unload while changing lanes and it is not a pleasant experience having the rear end doing that while driving 60mph. Maybe the lock right is different, I have not owned one, but it does operate on a similar principal as the detroit. I went to an ARB and love it.

If you're not into hard core wheeling, then consider a good posi, such as a Truetrac. I've broken track locks and power locks, but my Truetrac has held up just fine for what I use it for. It does not provide full lock, but it works very well in most conditions, and it is very street friendly. Also, just my $0.02.
Jesse B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
bbrriiaann1973

I have a lock right posi set up with 3.73 gears in my 1970 Chevy c10 that has a 383/700R4. It has been installed for about 15 years and I have put it threw a lot of torture with the 325/50R15 on the rear.

Not sure why a similar setup would not work in a K5 Blazer?

I will be taking the blazer off road but will need to be driven in town with zero problems.