The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Joe Z

Seat upholstery questions?

What's the difference between madrid and sierra vinyl? I'm under the assumption it's a difference in grain but haven't found an answer on the web and not sure what the difference is.
Also recommendations and warnings on companies to buy from would be helpful. Don't want to drop a ton of money on a work truck but I want to have a comfortable bench that's not all tore up and will hold up.
Thanks
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: Seat upholstery questions?

Its the grain or texture. Ill try and get some pics to post, if i can get a good picture from the sample book I have.
I would highly recommend USA1 Industries for a cover, but it takes forever to get them.
Classic Industries is good and normally in stock.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
TKCR

Pics
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
Joe Z

Thanks, that helps a lot. Is the Madrid more corse? I can't quite tell from the pictures.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Joe Z

Any good or bad results with acme auto or lmc's seat upholstery kits? They seem to be the cheapest but at what kind of quality cost?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Thanks, that helps a lot. Is the Madrid more corse? I can't quite tell from the pictures.
Yes the Madrid has MORE grain, or more corse.

LMC is fine, if your ok with the the generic colors that they offer. Black, blue, tan, grey and red.
Classic Industries have more correct color choices.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
Joe Z

Color doesn't bother me much the whole interior is faded to ten different shades. I'm just doing it because the seat is falling apart and it's hard to find a solid replacement.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
TKCR

Quote:
Color doesn't bother me much the whole interior is faded to ten different shades. I'm just doing it because the seat is falling apart and it's hard to find a solid replacement.
The LMC would be the best choice, especially if your going all Vinyl. Pretty good cover for the money. What color is your interior?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
Joe Z

It's all dark red/maroon. The door panels are basically pink now. The paint is a bright red. I might paint it but the dash is maroon and in nice shape so I'm stick with the red panels and the seat.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
Joe Z

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking about trying a vinyl dye for the interior panels but I might just leave them be.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #11
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking about trying a vinyl dye for the interior panels but I might just leave them be.
Using the vinyl dye is fairly simple, I did all my interior. Mine was maroon and I changed it to Charcoal.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
Joe Z

I've heard some good things about the new stuff. I work in a body shop a few years ago and one of the guys there used some on his truck but it faded back out pretty quick. Not sure what brand he used but others I've talked to haven't had any issues. What brand did you use?
Old 03-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
TKCR

Quote:
I've heard some good things about the new stuff. I work in a body shop a few years ago and one of the guys there used some on his truck but it faded back out pretty quick. Not sure what brand he used but others I've talked to haven't had any issues. What brand did you use?
I have used just about everything out there and have good luck with all of them. SEM I would say I have used the most.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Im far from an expert in these matters but I will say that ive dyed three different trucks over the last several years.. The first one I picked up some basic tan dye in my local auto parts store and it was horrible.. the panels were tan and horrible to start but the cheap dye took like five coats to do right and it ran very easy and looked cheap when done kinda like a maaco paint job... last two times ive gone for the extra money and done the SEM dye and both times it came out like factory color is right on and it doesn't run like the cheap stuff. I also used the SEM cleaner undercoat thing first.. Im very happy with those results

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #15
Joe Z

Thanks for the advice.