The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
turbostar

2006 1500 front shocks

It's time to replace the front shocks on my 2006 Silverado 1500 lt. The Haynes manual mentions a possibility that the truck could have a "suspension control system" ,and the shocks are different if so equipped. Before I order shocks I want to make sure I order the right ones. Haynes says "unlock and unplug the electrical connector from the top of the shock absorber" when removing those with a suspension control system. I see no connector but I really don't know if I'm looking in the right location. Anyone know if there is a code for this mysterious suspension control system? And maybe is there something on the dash to indicate if the truck has that system? The owners manual has nothing that would tell me if the truck has the system. Any info is appreciated.
turbostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
Boats&Hoes

Re: 2006 1500 front shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostar View Post
It's time to replace the front shocks on my 2006 Silverado 1500 lt. The Haynes manual mentions a possibility that the truck could have a "suspension control system" ,and the shocks are different if so equipped. Before I order shocks I want to make sure I order the right ones. Haynes says "unlock and unplug the electrical connector from the top of the shock absorber" when removing those with a suspension control system. I see no connector but I really don't know if I'm looking in the right location. Anyone know if there is a code for this mysterious suspension control system? And maybe is there something on the dash to indicate if the truck has that system? The owners manual has nothing that would tell me if the truck has the system. Any info is appreciated.
From what I understand, these trucks either came with the ZX3 electronic suspension from the factory or they did not. I believe this ''suspension control system'' is referring to the ZX3...With that said, I believe this only applies to the rear shocks. This could very well explain why you do not see a connector on the front, I would suggest you look at the top mount on the rear shocks.

In regard to your question about an indicator on the dash. If there is one I think it would be located on the left of the steering wheel with a ''ride control, firm'' button. The code I do not know, sorry.

Unfortunately I do not believe too many shock manufacturers will be producing shocks for the vehicles with electronic suspensions, only the non-elct. Luckily the fronts are the one's you want to replace, you should be able to use any replacement without issue regardless if you have the electronic suspension or not. Good luck!
Boats&Hoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
hugger6933

If it doesn't have any connectors to the shock, it is a regular shock. I've never seen one with the electric suspension[ trucks that is Tahoe and Suburban a different story] Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Handmedown

I have an 06 Silverado with the "suspension control system" there is a button to the right of the heater controls. It looks like a tire bouncing over some bumps. Mine does have electrical connectors that go to the top of the front shocks.
Handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
turbostar

Thanks Handmedown-that reply is sooo helpful. I do not see any electrical connector to the shocks but wanted more confirmation. There is no button that you describe to the right of my heater control. Based on your message I feel confident that I do not have the "suspension control system". Very helpful and thanks again.
turbostar is offline   Reply With Quote