The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Wootdog

fuel door problems

All,
I thought the spring in the fuel door on our 2005 Tahoe was broken because it just flaps in the wind. I bought a new spring on EBay thinking that was the problem. It wasn't. Does anyone know what kind of other type of spring connects to it to keep the door from flopping open?
Thanks in advance
Kerry in Virginia Beach
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:03 AM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: fuel door problems

TYPICALLY there is no other spring. but if your spring fell out and you bought a new one.. then i would GUESS that you have installed the spring improperly? i did this one time about 20 years ago on my 82 c-10, the dumb sheetmetal spring thing looked like it could only go in one way but in fact it was backwards. and IIRC the thing was a major PITA to get it installed properly. if your spring went right in without issue, i would guess its backwards.

I actually have one of my fuel doors OFF the truck, i will snap a picture tomorrow evening as an example for you. in the mean time i will go down and snap a pic of the one on my beater.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:07 AM   #3
izzy_Britton

I lied ! the spring is not visible on disease truck with the plastic funnel installed. I will snap a pic of the fuel door that is OFF of my wifes WHO_DCTR truck if i can remember tomorrow evening after work.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
99LS1500

Are you sure your fuel door is complete ?
Are you sure you bought the correct spring ?
If yes, check the position of the spring and where you have it installed. If opening & closing the door creates no tension on the spring it could be the wrong spring or it's not installed correctly. You could also visit a bone yard and search for a truck the same as yours for a visual then snap a few few pics on your cell phone to confirm you have the spring is installed correctly. Heck, if you get lucky you might even find the exact same color and buy the complete door with the spring/s. Cant be much more than $15-$20.00 if you pick and pull it.
99LS1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:33 AM   #5
izzy_Britton

these are some really crappy cell phone photos of one of my uninstalled gas doors. maybe you can gleam enough from the pictures to answer your question?

-Izzy