The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Spline64

Radiator issues (maybe?)

I am truly sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, Google searches aren't helping me much.

Thermostat went bad, became stuck closed, drove to work (no temp gauge so no clue and heater was not happening at all and it normally works) and when I got there steam and lost over half my coolant. crap....

Removed thermostat so I could go to auto parts store and get a new one. Replaced coolant. Ran cold to warm as expected till I got home.

Put in new thermostat, 15 deg higher rating as that was the recommended for my engine (180 old now 195). Now heater is working great, but noticed that top manifold intake hose is still cold. Could this be the fact that it just hasn't heated up enough yet? Haven't taken it for a drive yet, and noticed that where the heater core attaches and cap side of the radiator is hot while the top hose (manifold intake) is still cold.

does it just need to get hot before it opens?

thanks,
Spline64
Spline64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
zac

Re: Radiator issues (maybe?)

Well, wrong forum, yes, but this is easy. Your system sounds like it is working normally now. The heater core gets water from the engine block, so it warms as the engine warms. The top hose will stay cold until 195 when the thermostat opens. It seems to take forever for the thermostat to open when your truck is idling in the driveway. Drive it down the road a few miles, pull over and feel the top hose. Fix the temp gauge!
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

You could also test that thermostat out by taking it out and putting it in pot of hot water - not quite boiling - and see if it opens up - would help of course to have thermometer that reads 195...but if nothing else it if didn't open when the water was boiling then it's not working.

Yes, get that temp gauge fixed anyway. Best, TT
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Spline64

Thanks guys, zac you were correct, the top hose got hot after driving a few miles. Heater works better then ever (probably cause the t-stat is now 15 deg higher). Engine even runs better now, guess it was never reaching optimum operating temperature.
Eyebuzz, I did put it in boiling water and it only opened up less than a 1/16". Couldn't even push it open with my thumbs beyond that. The new one would let me push it over a half inch open.
Amazing that a $4 part could ruin a $1000 engine.....getting the temp gauge this weekend. If that was working I wouldn't of almost ruined the engine

again, thanks!!
Spline64
Spline64 is offline   Reply With Quote