The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Btc10

Reverse lights not working.

My 1970 c10 reverse lights do not work. How can I get them to work?
Btc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
wwotr

Re: Reverse lights not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btc10 View Post
My 1970 c10 reverse lights do not work. How can I get them to work?
#1) I'd check the Fuse Box. I believe they take a 10 amp fuse.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Couple other things to check is the brake light switch on the brake pedal, also verify that you have good ground s

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Jon Scully

Hey there-- I feel your pain-- I went through this with all of my rear lighting (bad cut up at bumper by PO) -- BUT-- As above, after the fuse check the grounds- I think these ground-out in the case-- so you need to make sure the back-up light case is properly tightened. (clean metal bolt and case).

my 2 cents
Jon Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
geezer#99

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=431263
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
cdowns

i'd first check that there is voltage boming in to the backup switch,if yes then i'd see if there is voltage coming out of the switch when in reverse, if not try adjusting switch

if you get voltage out of the reverse switch then you need to follow that wire to the rear and find out where you stop having voltage , if voltage at the socket for the backup lamp then bad grounds
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #7
Btc10

Can anybody post any pictures of the grounds and how the back up switch is suppose to be mounted?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
mrein3

Auto or manual transmission? If manual, which one?
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
406 Q-ship

Forgive my hijack here. Where is the backup switch on a 4 spd manual truck? My truck is converted from a 292 cylinder 4 spd to the a 350 th350 disc brakes out of a 71 and I need to find the backup switch plug in the wiring harness. When I find the plug then I can run it to the bottom of the column, making the reverse lamps work.....I hope.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
Forgive my hijack here. Where is the backup switch on a 4 spd manual truck? My truck is converted from a 292 cylinder 4 spd to the a 350 th350 disc brakes out of a 71 and I need to find the backup switch plug in the wiring harness. When I find the plug then I can run it to the bottom of the column, making the reverse lamps work.....I hope.
Backup switch on a 4 speed was on the tranny. Is your steering column original. If so might not have spot on bottom of column for a switch.
Automatic trucks where different than 3 on the tree columns.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Btc10

Mine is a TH350 Automatic.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
cdowns

bottom of steering column near the floor the neutral safty switch and reverse are ont switch with 4terminals on it// to heavy 12 gauge purple wires are for the neutral safty part the backup light wires are thinner gauge16 if i remember right green
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 04-08-2011 at 04:35 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Backup switch on a 4 speed was on the tranny. Is your steering column original. If so might not have spot on bottom of column for a switch.
Automatic trucks where different than 3 on the tree columns.
The column from the 71 was installed in my truck, so yes I have the neutral saftey/reverse lamp switch on the bottom of the column. Besides it needed a column for the shifter. Which side of the truck would the switch in the 4 spd have been? Thanks and I return you to your pervious thread.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
jaybatta

picking up where Btc10 left off...I have the same issue. My neutral safety/backup light switch is on the bottom of my steering column. There are no wires. If I were to make wires..where would they go?

Thanks!

Semper Fi
jaybatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #15
jaybatta

picking up where Btc10 left off...I have the same issue. My neutral safety/backup light switch is on the bottom of my steering column. There are no wires. If I were to make wires..where would they go?

Thanks!

Semper Fi
jaybatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybatta View Post

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat. Have a switch but no wires

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
poway

My 1968 Panel didn’t have a reverse light switch when I bought it. It came with a Saginaw 4-speed with a Universal Shifter from Summit Racing. I wasn’t very happy with the universal shifter from Summit so I replaced it with a Hurst Competition shifter. I also bought the reverse light switch that mounts to the back of the shifter. I found the reverse light plug on the dash wiring harness and ran wires from the switch to the plug.
poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
clemsonteg

I had/have a similar issue. I adjusted the reverse switch on the column, but my 3ott is super floppy which requires holding the shift lever up for the lights to stay on
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #19
Orangetonicclicc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
I'm in the same boat. Have a switch but no wires
I'm the opposite! I have wires but no switch, my truck was totally gutted by the PO so I've been going from scratch! New everything! I have a new harness and new column. But I have 2 light green back up lights wires with no idea where they go? Switch? Does it go to the tranny? Does it go to the column? Do I needto buy a switch and install it? I'm totally confused? I'm sure it's something simple. If I figure it out, I will post a detailed description!
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
poway

If you have the two wires (light green and dark green) you have half of the battle won. Those two wires have to be connected together via the backup light switch. Do the two wires have a socket connected to them? If not, you should be able to test the backup light function by connecting the two wires together and then turn your ignition key to the “on” position. Check to see if your backup light are on. If they are, all you have to do is install a switch by your shifter. If they are not on, check your backup light fuse on your fuse panel. If the fuse looks good, check the continuity of the fuse. I found out the hard way that even new fuses can be bad. What kind of shifter are you using? As I stated in a previous post, I’m using a Hurst Shifter and bought the backup light switch from them and it fits right up to the shifter. In my case, I had to clean all of the paint overspray from the backup light sockets that the previous owner neglected to mask off during a re-paint.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #21
Orangetonicclicc

No backup light switch exist that I know of. my shifter is on the column. I haven't bought the linkage of yet.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
Orangetonicclicc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poway View Post
If you have the two wires (light green and dark green) you have half of the battle won. Those two wires have to be connected together via the backup light switch. Do the two wires have a socket connected to them? If not, you should be able to test the backup light function by connecting the two wires together and then turn your ignition key to the “on” position. Check to see if your backup light are on. If they are, all you have to do is install a switch by your shifter. If they are not on, check your backup light fuse on your fuse panel. If the fuse looks good, check the continuity of the fuse. I found out the hard way that even new fuses can be bad. What kind of shifter are you using? As I stated in a previous post, I’m using a Hurst Shifter and bought the backup light switch from them and it fits right up to the shifter. In my case, I had to clean all of the paint overspray from the backup light sockets that the previous owner neglected to mask off during a re-paint.
Oh and sorry no socket either my truck is still under constructions... I haven't even purchased my battery and I'm in the middle of wiring my ignition as we speak which is going to get even more complicated! Cause I going with a push button start. But I didn't think that would have any bearing on my reverse lights?
Old 12-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #23
poway

There is a backup light switch on the steering column that I believe you can purchase through one of the 67-72 truck suppliers such as Brother’s or LMC. It mounts to the steering column with two fasteners. Napa may even carry them. The socket for the switch has two blades at 90° from each other, ( looking similar to this: _ | ) so you can plug into the switch. As far as having a push button starter, you’ll have to have an on/off switch to energize the ignition/accessory system before starting. Do you have a color wiring diagram for these trucks? They are available from other subscribers on this website for download. You can even find them through a Google search. A valuable tool to have when wiring these trucks.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #24
Orangetonicclicc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poway View Post
There is a backup light switch on the steering column that I believe you can purchase through one of the 67-72 truck suppliers such as Brother’s or LMC. It mounts to the steering column with two fasteners. Napa may even carry them. The socket for the switch has two blades at 90° from each other, ( looking similar to this: _ | ) so you can plug into the switch. As far as having a push button starter, you’ll have to have an on/off switch to energize the ignition/accessory system before starting. Do you have a color wiring diagram for these trucks? They are available from other subscribers on this website for download. You can even find them through a Google search. A valuable tool to have when wiring these trucks.
Yes I have a color diagram and a pretty detailed instruction sheet from painless. I think I can figure it out. You guys have helped!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #25
twouvakind

Mine were disconnected at the lamp housing as there is/was a quick disconnect....well...disconnected there.
twouvakind is offline   Reply With Quote