The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #201
chad64chevy

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

what shifter are you getting? i was thinking about the "twisted shifter" if i dont get a 16" floor mount lokar!! i like the idea that he builds were you can lock them out, and since i got bench seats the other shifters he has wont really work! he use to have one that was called the "military" shifter that would have worked but i havent seen it the last few times i looked them up!! i thought about getting ahold of him to have one built, like combine a two of them , heres the link to the twisted shifter:

Last edited by chad64chevy; 07-01-2012 at 05:47 AM.
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #202
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Mine is similar, but I don't think it has the twist. Similar style but with slightly larger holes in the plate, no twist, and an 18" lever. I had it setup with a reverse lockout, and to accept the Epco knob that I had made already.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #203
chad64chevy

ya i think you got the stick shifter model! this one??
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #204
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Yep, but powdercoated black and set up for a 4spd with an NHRA manual reverse lockout lever.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #205
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Its been mostly more sanding on the doors as we inch towards paintwork.
I did get my rollpan in from Mar-k, and fitted and riveted it on. Took a whopping 15 minutes.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #206
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Most bodywork again today; shaping sanding etc. I haven't continued to picture that, since it all looks the same and there isn't much to be learned or gained from those photos.

That said, on the useful side of things I did get something accomplished. My tach wasn't working since my Lq4 swap. Its an Autogage Tach, by Autometer. I had it hooked up like normal, but found out that it needed a resistor added to the circuit to make it work correctly. This info was originally posted in a thread called "regular tach on LS2" or something similar. Basically, it just requires adding a 1/4watt 1000ohm resistor to step up the voltage the tach gets from the signal wire. The resistor gets wires across the signal and power wires, and works very well. It was a cheap fix, and I have 3 left over from the pack, if I ever need to do it again.

CLICK for video if you care...I was just happy it was working, and wanted to prove it.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #207
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

STILL WAITING ON MY KILDUFF SHIFTER. THIS THING BETTER BE AWESOME OR I'M GONNA STICK IT SIDEWAYS UP HIS A$$. I sound harsh, but when I placed the order, he said I would have it in my hands UNDER 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I called, and it hadn't been finished, let alone shipped. He said it would be out the door that day...Week 3 has come to and end.....and no shifter. Dude if you want a successful small business, keep your word.

Anyway....since paint is bout to happen, it was time to start some of the tasks. Pulled out the rear window and cleaned up some loose debris. Then it was time for Visqueen and staples to make the "operating room". In person it looks cool with the lighting and the silver floor with white walls. Cleanest its ever been....and my brother wandered into the pic.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #208
McMurphy

Looks like you are going to go all "Dexter" on your truck in there!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #209
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Is it me or does that shifter go from 3rd to reverse with no lock out????

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #210
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

the one in the video posted doesn't lock out any more than normal "resistance" would prevent it....however mine has an actual NHRA manual lockout lever.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #211
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Whew, I'm tired as all hell but we got some progress!!! Started early (and damn it was SUUUUPER HOT again today), rolled the truck out to give it a dawn wash to remove an road grime, and do some final dry sanding to remove any loose rattle can paint left on the truck, clean off any flash rust and make sure everywhere was ready for prime.

We blew it and dried it off, then put it back in the "booth" (after giving the booth a wet down and brush out) and hit the truck with some wax/grease remover / surface cleaner stuff. After over an hour of taping we Threw on the hazmat suits, gloves and respirators, and got to work mixing up some epoxy prime to shoot.

It was 1 light coat, followed by a medium wet, going with nearly an extra coat on filler areas for soakage. It took a good while and the heat was a challenge, but it ended up laying out pretty decent once we played with gun settings. The reducer was a bit touchy because of the heat, but with planning we kept an edge and it all seemed to work out. Sooooo much more work yet to do, but major progress (also coated the wheelwells with bedliner, but that seems minor in comparison. Ok .Pic Dump.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #212
McMurphy

Awesome !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #213
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Kilduff shifter finally came. Looks pretty good (garage engineered, but thats not really a bad thing). The mechanism feels pretty good from what I can tell. I may have to switch bracket types according to the instructions (didn't tell me this) but won't be able to know until the truck is back out of paint. Excuse the weird FLIR effect on the one photo and in the video, my phone is a spaz.

vid

Last edited by BR3W CITY; 07-20-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #214
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like you're moving right along on the bodywork. Congrats on the shiifter.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #215
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Another day out in the "booth", laying down a few coats of build primer. I didn't bother with pics, it still looks like a gray truck lol. Looks like a weekend of blocking in my future.

I did get a delivery however. Although I don't have any sponsorships, I did get a little hookup thru kicker. I'm still waiting on my 6.5" components, but my 6x9's for the doors, dx400 amp and hookup stuff showed up.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #216
McMurphy

Oooooooo ..... nice !!
I am contemplating Pioneer speakers here, just because Wal-Mart sells them LOL.
I dropped $2,100.00 of sound into my Tempest.
Pretty sure the wife would lynch me if I tried that with this truck !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #217
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Pioneer makes some good stuff, just gotta see what part numbers they carry. Wal Mart has a tendency to get major manufacturers to make down-market versions of their product. I.e. make sure that its actually rated at what its supposed to be. They do it with Tv's all the time.

I've had a few rather robust systems, but either sold them with the vehicles, or pieced them out over time. I don't have my invoice but not counting the L7 which isn't "for sure" in the plan yet, we have give or take ~$1k worth of stuff, which I think I picked up for about $205, I couldn't complain.

Audio is crazy expensive, and even the MSRP on what I have is still conservative by big audio standards. Guys that start going with Focal, high end MB Quart, the higher lines of JL etc, AND start adding multiple subs, staging, Eq's are in the 5-10k$ and up.

This is an old, LOUD truck, with sound deadening that although much improved, will still sound like an old, loud truck. We just wanted to be able to enjoy music over the exhaust, and actually understand what people were saying

Should have more progress for yall later this week or so.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #218
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Pioneer makes some good stuff, just gotta see what part numbers they carry. Wal Mart has a tendency to get major manufacturers to make down-market versions of their product. I.e. make sure that its actually rated at what its supposed to be. They do it with Tv's all the time.

I've had a few rather robust systems, but either sold them with the vehicles, or pieced them out over time. I don't have my invoice but not counting the L7 which isn't "for sure" in the plan yet, we have give or take ~$1k worth of stuff, which I think I picked up for about $205, I couldn't complain.

Audio is crazy expensive, and even the MSRP on what I have is still conservative by big audio standards. Guys that start going with Focal, high end MB Quart, the higher lines of JL etc, AND start adding multiple subs, staging, Eq's are in the 5-10k$ and up.

This is an old, LOUD truck, with sound deadening that although much improved, will still sound like an old, loud truck. We just wanted to be able to enjoy music over the exhaust, and actually understand what people were saying

Should have more progress for yall later this week or so.
Thanks for the heads up on checking the ratings!! Awesome advice indeed.
I dropped so much into my Tempest because it is a convertible, and I wanted to make sure I could not only hear the music with the top down doing 70mph down the highway, but I want to enjoy it too.
I am not that guy that likes loud music for the sake of being loud. I dont particularly want to share my toons with everyone in the neighborhood, but clarity is key.

With the way I configured the sound in the Tempest, with the amount of speakers, and the power behind them, when you sit in the back seat of that car with a well engineered song playing, you actually feel like you are IN the band!
I love it!!

PM sent, sir.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #219
niterider65

Cool Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

looking good Ill keep watching for more its giving me some ideas .
niterider65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #220
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Well since I'm STILL FREAKING BLOCK SANDING DAMN!T
The only thing worth posting is that my 6.5" components came to match the other kicker components I mentioned earlier.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #221
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

FINALLY.....another bunch of LONG days but...COLOR!

We had to run around to pick up some crap I forgot as always (buy 1.5 times the amount of reducer you THINK you need....and then remember you use it to clean the guns, other stuff, and to over reduce epoxy for sealer.

We got the epoxy all reduced for sealing (about recommended plus ~20% extra reducer). Shot one coat of that, let it setup for about 10 and came back wet with color. Yes its a f*rd color, but they didn't make good use of it Grabber Blue (F3, the original color not the 2012 color). It wasn't exact, but we did about 2.5 medium wet coats, and came back with Paint Shope Matte Clear. Some might ask "why a premix clear"? Well A. its easy, and b. I couldn't find a flattening agent at my local supplier, and I knew the level of satin the Paint Shop stuff delivers. Another 2-2.5 medium wet coats, with almost another extra coat on the grill surround area and the lower hood lip for chip protection.
We did have 1 stupid run....because we clogged the air hole in the top of the hvlp and it spat solvent out damnit! We have to fix that in a couple once it hardens. I know my body isn't show-quality, and the paint isn't perfect....but I'm damn proud of what we did in a garage. Ok, enough excuses, time for pictures (many more to come after it cures)

Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #222
coulter

For a ford color that looks pretty sweet!! Nice work
Posted via Mobile Device

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #223
502ms

Agreed! Coming along really nicely
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #224
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the paint! I bet you were pumped to finally gets some color on it. More pics....
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #225
kvn1011
Kvn1011

Awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
kvn1011 is offline   Reply With Quote