The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 02:00 AM   #1
18Z
Active Member
 
18Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 180
NP435 Repair Manual

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the GM Truck Unit Repair Manual X-7B-08B, Transmission New Process 4 Speed Model 435. I am about to rebuild one. I have the 18 page ford one and the 10 page chevy one out of the chassis manual but the one above is a 26 page one that I can't find.

Thanks
Kirk

Last edited by 18Z; 12-02-2018 at 01:48 PM.
18Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Willys_MB
Registered User
 
Willys_MB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 97
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

I also have this transmission. There really isn't a lot of information out there. Everybody says there is, but actually finding information is challenging. Have you looked over this website?
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...s/manual/np435
__________________
1968 GMC C2500 Long Bed Fleetside
Willys_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
18Z
Active Member
 
18Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 180
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

I have checked that website, I found the manual I was looking for on a Ford forum tonight, but thanks for the info.
18Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Willys_MB
Registered User
 
Willys_MB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 97
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

Care to share the manual on here?
__________________
1968 GMC C2500 Long Bed Fleetside
Willys_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
El Dorado Jim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: El Dorado Ca
Posts: 2,835
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

I have never heard of the New Process 435 4 spd trans...what year is it? I have heard of the SM420 and the SM 465, I have the SM465 in my 72
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
WorkinLonghorn
Registered User
 
WorkinLonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So.Calif.
Posts: 2,472
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

Here you go Jim; I have one in my truck. Had a SM465 in my last '69 and like this 435 a LOT better. -BA

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...s/manual/np435
__________________
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed (same as Chevy "Longhorn"), 350 ci. mild RV cam, NP 435 CR 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Willys_MB
Registered User
 
Willys_MB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 97
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

The NP435 was a Chrysler product. My understanding was that it came standard in GMC, but was an option in Chevy trucks, but that could be wrong. It's a standard 4 on the floor with a granny gear. I just had mine apart and I was surprised at the shape it was in. The tranny was dated 1967 and in my 1968 truck. I'm pretty happy with it, so it's staying!
__________________
1968 GMC C2500 Long Bed Fleetside
Willys_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
El Dorado Jim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: El Dorado Ca
Posts: 2,835
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Here you go Jim; I have one in my truck. Had a SM465 in my last '69 and like this 435 a LOT better. -BA

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...s/manual/np435
thanks, I didnt know they put these in Chevys, I have seen them in Fords, didnt know who they were made by
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 AM   #9
Bob B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 935
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

The NP435GA transmission was the 4 speed manual used with the GMC 305 and 351 V-6's in 4X2 trucks, and was also offered as an option in other '67-'72 Chevy and GMC trucks. It's a heavy duty unit but unlike the SM420 and SM465 it is a close ratio transmission that does not have a 'granny' low ratio 1st. gear. They even use a different knob, marked 1-2-3-4 unlike the L-1-2-3 knob sometimes used on the Muncie transmissions. Ford, Dodge, and IH used other wide ratio versions of the 435 that did have a 'granny' 1st. gear.

My '67 has a 435GA, and I normally use 1st. gear when driving. 1st. gear is a much higher 4.56:1 than the 7.05:1 low gear of a Muncie. The GMC V-6's made so much torque off idle and at low r.p.m.'s a very low 1st. gear was not necessary.

Some '67-'72 Chevy and GMC sales literature lists the 435GA as a 'close ratio 4 speed'. I think over the years many mistakenly believed this referred to the Muncie M21 'Rock Crusher', which was never offered in any trucks other than the El Camino.

The Ford NP 435 shop manual should be fine, the other differences between the regular 435 and 435GA are minor.
__________________
1967 GMC CM-2500 Camper Cruiser, 351E V-6, NP 435 4 speed, Dana 60, and factory A/C. 2012 GMC K-3500 WT regular cab, 6.0L Vortec, 6L90.
Bob B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
Willys_MB
Registered User
 
Willys_MB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 97
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B. View Post
The NP435GA transmission was the 4 speed manual used with the GMC 305 and 351 V-6's in 4X2 trucks, and was also offered as an option in other '67-'72 Chevy and GMC trucks. It's a heavy duty unit but unlike the SM420 and SM465 it is a close ratio transmission that does not have a 'granny' low ratio 1st. gear. They even use a different knob, marked 1-2-3-4 unlike the L-1-2-3 knob sometimes used on the Muncie transmissions. Ford, Dodge, and IH used other wide ratio versions of the 435 that did have a 'granny' 1st. gear.

My '67 has a 435GA, and I normally use 1st. gear when driving. 1st. gear is a much higher 4.56:1 than the 7.05:1 low gear of a Muncie. The GMC V-6's made so much torque off idle and at low r.p.m.'s a very low 1st. gear was not necessary.

Some '67-'72 Chevy and GMC sales literature lists the 435GA as a 'close ratio 4 speed'. I think over the years many mistakenly believed this referred to the Muncie M21 'Rock Crusher', which was never offered in any trucks other than the El Camino.

The Ford NP 435 shop manual should be fine, the other differences between the regular 435 and 435GA are minor.
That's interesting. Mine definitely has a granny gear. Max speed of ~5 mph. I rarely use it and always start in second gear. I wonder if that's the difference between the NP435 and NP435GA...
__________________
1968 GMC C2500 Long Bed Fleetside
Willys_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #11
HO455
Registered User
 
HO455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 4,437
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

According to the Novac site (above link) the NP435 has several different gear sets with granny and with out.
1st 2nd 3rd 4th (direct) Rev.
NP435A (Dodge, GM) 4.56 2.28 1.31 1.00 5.64
NP435L (Ford, Dodge, GM) 6.68 3.34 1.66 1.0 8.26
NP435D (GM) 4.90 2.29 1.19 1.00 6.06
NP435E (Ford) 6.68 3.34 1.74 1.00 8.26
__________________
Thanks to Bob and Jeanie and everyone else at Superior Performance for all their great help.
1967 Burban the WMB,1991 S(stink)-10 Blazer,1969 GTO, 1970 Javelin, 1952 F3 Ford 4X4, 29 Model A, 72 Firebird. 85 Alfa Romeo
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
A1971Blazer
Senior Member
 
A1971Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 1,028
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

A lot of the 435s that are in Ford trucks have extra ears cast on the front of the housing that can be drilled to fit a GM bellhousing...the 435 is a tough transmission much like the 465 Muncie....
I have a Ford435 with a driver drop NP205 that I'm saving....for a future use....?
__________________
1970 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
.............
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Bob B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 935
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys_MB View Post
That's interesting. Mine definitely has a granny gear. Max speed of ~5 mph. I rarely use it and always start in second gear. I wonder if that's the difference between the NP435 and NP435GA...
Yes, I think the suffix letters identify ratios. I should have added that GMC used a lot of NP435's with 'granny' first gears in 4500/5500/6500 medium duty trucks. The 'GA' version is commonly seen in GMC V-6 pickups.
__________________
1967 GMC CM-2500 Camper Cruiser, 351E V-6, NP 435 4 speed, Dana 60, and factory A/C. 2012 GMC K-3500 WT regular cab, 6.0L Vortec, 6L90.
Bob B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 AM   #14
18Z
Active Member
 
18Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 180
Re: NP435 Repair Manual

Here is the link to one of the the GM manuals:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/v...c.php?p=451621
18Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com