The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #26
toolboxchev

Re: beating my head trying to figure this out please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
There are 3 the size of the head of a ball point pen
Being a 180 I would think it does not need them. I had the same problem 2 years ago and it was a combination of issues. Clogged radiator, Wrong timing, Bad Coolant, Wrong Radiator Cap.

That all being said I ran a 160 in it during the summer after the fixes, Worked great. When it warmed up outside to over 90 it had a hard time keeping up.
You could see it on the gauge.

So just last coolant flush a week ago I switched to a 180, it runs warmer. About the same as the 160 when it was 90 degrees out.

So now I am going to try just one hole in the 160 thermostat. Just a 1/16 inch tiny hole. Just enough to keep some flow and allow steam out.

Thats my plan for now. Hope this helps out, my set up is mostly all stock with a true Brass and Copper radiator.

One other thing to reinforce, A Lean Carb will do nothing but help a engine run hotter also.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:01 AM   #27
WOLFMANmike

Thank you all of you for the valuable info and ideas got a Judas Priest concert to go to tomorrow and then a barbecue on Sunday so I'll get to all your ideas on Monday let you know what comes of it
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #28
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarron View Post
Add more initial timing.

I had the same issue. I'm more like 18-20 initial 36 total(mechanical), vacuum advance adjusted to just keep it from pinging.
Carb could be a little lean, check the plugs. They are not perfect out of the box.

Went back to factory AC water pump. The HV pump was doing more harm than good.
A 165 thermostat will give you more temp room to play with. Also only use one vent hole 1/8" if there is not a check valve in it already. The water flow around the tstat affects its opening.

Mine is one of the GM 290HP crate motors with eldebrock 600 carb. Added vortec heads, but heating problems started with originals.
bingo on the 18* initial. at 12 * its retarded and what causes the increase on temps while climbing a grade then drops when going down other side.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #29
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADS1971 View Post
Going up an incline and the temp goes up? Where are your trans lines going? If they are in the radiator, I would add a trans cooler and take the lines out of the radiator. 210 is not hot if the engine maintains 210. A small block chevy makes its most hp at 210. My 6.2 Silverado runs 210 all the time.
I have had this happen with several trucks. Once had a car hauler . With a car on the back and a steep incline I could easily take the temp gauge up to 230 on a steep incline . Transmission lines ran thru the radiator. Always dropped to 190 on the downhill side. I did not see your response if your tranny lines run thru the radiator along with your tranny cooler . It would be interesting to know your tranny fluid temp when you have all this going on. It may correspond with your engine temp. Good luck . Let us know what you find.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #30
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
I have had this happen with several trucks. Once had a car hauler . With a car on the back and a steep incline I could easily take the temp gauge up to 230 on a steep incline . Transmission lines ran thru the radiator. Always dropped to 190 on the downhill side. I did not see your response if your tranny lines run thru the radiator along with your tranny cooler . It would be interesting to know your tranny fluid temp when you have all this going on. It may correspond with your engine temp. Good luck . Let us know what you find.
I run my transmission cooling lines through a B&M transmission cooler in front of the radiator I've always hated running transmission lines through a radiator always felt like it may not be getting the most cooling through there so I've always run external coolers as far as measuring how hot my trans fluid is at that particular time I've never done that and to be honest I wouldn't quite know how to do so and at the same time when that is happening it it's on the freeway at a slight incline so I'm not sure if that would be the best spot to have to pull over to take any kind of measurement but I do await your ideas and knowledge on how to measure the fluid and might be able to get off and then exit to do so before making the crest of the Hill once I've made the crest of the Hill I dropped back down to 190 almost instantaneous
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #31
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
I run my transmission cooling lines through a B&M transmission cooler in front of the radiator I've always hated running transmission lines through a radiator always felt like it may not be getting the most cooling through there so I've always run external coolers as far as measuring how hot my trans fluid is at that particular time I've never done that and to be honest I wouldn't quite know how to do so and at the same time when that is happening it it's on the freeway at a slight incline so I'm not sure if that would be the best spot to have to pull over to take any kind of measurement but I do await your ideas and knowledge on how to measure the fluid and might be able to get off and then exit to do so before making the crest of the Hill once I've made the crest of the Hill I dropped back down to 190 almost instantaneous
I have a Dodge Cummins with 5 speed . Trans temp gauge was on it when I bought it. Here is an aftermarket one. Lots of different ones out there . Google it. https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/instal...erature-gauge/
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #32
mattfranklin

210 doesn't sound that bad under higher load. Does it get worse on a long hill or does it just creep up to 210 and stay there? Is it boiling over or something?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #33
cla511

There is nothing wrong with it running 210. These motors are designed to run around the boiling point of water. They are also meant to run at a consistent temp. Using a lower temp thermostat only allows for more temp fluctuations. a 165, 185, 195 are all full open at 210. Once its full open it doesn't matter, the flow is the flow.

When you have wide temp swings you are causing all the engine parts to expand and contract, this causes damage long term just like a house foundation. at 195 allows the engine to heat up and run at a much more consistent temp. Long term this is way better for the motor. Plus you get more efficient fuel combustion at 200. It how they were designed.

Also transmissions are designed to run at 190 or so. It where they work best. Keeping them too cool does not allow the fluid to flow properly.

Also I have a 86 Burban that will heat when pulling a trailer due to the transmission dumping heat into the radiator. Small external cooler fixed that.
1986 K20 Sub 406/TH400

"Life's tough.....It's enough tougher if your stupid." John Wayne
cla511 is offline   Reply With Quote