The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #1
392Hemi

Rear C Notch with 4 link

How low from stock can you go without having to c notch the frame? Is 5 inches possible? I noticed an awful lot of guys that do the four link also do a c notch so I figured I better check.
392Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
47 Fasttoys

Re: Rear C Notch with 4 link

Well that depends, if you don't mind a real harsh ride and bottoming out a lot you can go 5" on most trucks. From what I've done in the past with out a notch I would limit it to 3" and clip a bit of the bump stops.
Rob
Old 11-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
392Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Well that depends, if you don't mind a real harsh ride and bottoming out a lot you can go 5" on most trucks. From what I've done in the past with out a notch I would limit it to 3" and clip a bit of the bump stops.
Rob
Yikes that doesn't sound too good. Sure hate to chop the frame up, should have just done bags then
Old 11-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Old Crow

I wouldn't worry about chopping the fame. Since the advent of the S-10 swap, good stock frames aren't worth all that much. In another thread here, a guy can't even sell one with suspension and operable drive train for $1500.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
392Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
I wouldn't worry about chopping the fame. Since the advent of the S-10 swap, good stock frames aren't worth all that much. In another thread here, a guy can't even sell one with suspension and operable drive train for $1500.
Pretty hard to believe. My frame is in great shape so no way i was getting rid of it.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Speedbumpauto

I don't see the problem. You can notch the frame 3" without cutting it in two. fill in the notch to match the bottom channel and box it about six inches in front and behind the notch. It will be nearly as strong as the original and no body will know but you....and me. Mine is done that way with the stance it has in the picture.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392Hemi View Post
Pretty hard to believe. My frame is in great shape so no way i was getting rid of it.
It's true that stock frames aren't worth much at all. Shortbeds are worth $200-500 complete frames, drivetrains worth nothing usually lol Notch it and go lower. Our stock frame was rebuilt using a Heidts superride IFS coilover and camaro posi out back which is easy enough and better than a full swap I think. Will bag the whole thing this winter and it'll be that much better lol

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
392Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
I don't see the problem. You can notch the frame 3" without cutting it in two. fill in the notch to match the bottom channel and box it about six inches in front and behind the notch. It will be nearly as strong as the original and no body will know but you....and me. Mine is done that way with the stance it has in the picture.
Great idea!! Kinda like what I had to do for the front steering notches. Not much strain goes on at that point of the frame and behind.