The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
handyhands

cleaning ls (maybe paint)

My motor is mounted, but the cab is not on. How do you guys clean your motors?
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Henry50

Re: cleaning ls (maybe paint)

purple power, scrub brush, and pressure washer.
Henry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Jemezcrusher

Simple Green, brushes and garden hose
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
b-mac

I've read that paint can diminish some of the cooling properties of the aluminum in LS engines. I don't know how true this is, but I decided to leave mine bare.

I used all the methods above to clean mine.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
mr48chev

Oil Eater cleans greasy engine and parts real well rinsed with either a water hose or pressure washer.

I've used Purple power and simple green too. Simple green if you are cleaning it where you might worry about what goes in the ground. I think all three are bio degradable though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
I've read that paint can diminish some of the cooling properties of the aluminum in LS engines. I don't know how true this is, but I decided to leave mine bare.

I used all the methods above to clean mine.
Not all LS engines are aluminum blocks. Mine's an LQ4 iron block with aluminum heads.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
my56chevytruck

any good automotive grease cleaner and a power washer. this is a real fun job to.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
mphudak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Not all LS engines are aluminum blocks. Mine's an LQ4 iron block with aluminum heads.
A true gen IV LS is aluminum. The other L series like the LQ4 and LQ9 are 6.0 iron blocks versions but are not an LS (don't take me wrong the LQ is a great motor, especially since they arent as expensive as the LS and can make the same power) . There was another aluminum block, L76 I think, but had a different ignitions system and different performance.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphudak View Post
A true gen IV LS is aluminum. The other L series like the LQ4 and LQ9 are 6.0 iron blocks versions but are not an LS (don't take me wrong the LQ is a great motor, especially since they arent as expensive as the LS and can make the same power) . There was another aluminum block, LY6 I think, but had a different ignitions system and different performance.
The original poster said nothing about "Gen IV".

"The LS based GM small-block engine is the primary V-8 used in General Motors' line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. Introduced in January 1995, it is a "clean sheet" design with only rod bearings and bore spacing in common with the longstanding Chevrolet small block V8 that preceded it as the basis for GM small-block V8s. The LS' basic layout owes a good deal to Ed Cole's original small-block design of 1954-55,[citation needed] though it also uses cues from Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac V8s. The basic LS variations use cast iron blocks, while performance editions are all aluminum with cast iron cylinder liners."

Gen IV (2005 to Present)
6.0 L

"The Generation IV 6000 is a V8 engine that displaces 5,967 cc (364.1 cu in) from 101.6 mm (4.000 in) bore and 92 mm (3.622 in) stroke. It features either a cast iron or aluminum engine block with cast aluminum heads. Certain versions feature variable cam phasing, Active Fuel Management, and Flex-fuel capability."

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 02-06-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #10
mphudak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
The original poster said nothing about "Gen IV".

"The LS based GM small-block engine is the primary V-8 used in General Motors' line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. Introduced in January 1995, it is a "clean sheet" design with only rod bearings and bore spacing in common with the longstanding Chevrolet small block V8 that preceded it as the basis for GM small-block V8s. The LS' basic layout owes a good deal to Ed Cole's original small-block design of 1954-55,[citation needed] though it also uses cues from Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac V8s. The basic LS variations use cast iron blocks, while performance editions are all aluminum with cast iron cylinder liners."
You called out an LQ4, which is gen 4. I was nearly clarifying based on your comment of an LQ4 being an LS, which it isnt, and expanded that an ls of that era is aluminum. It's an LS based motor, but doesnot mean it's an ls. I'm not trying to start an arguement, just adding some clarification

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS_b...l-block_engine

Correction...I reference 4th Gen and should of referenced gen 3 and 4 (with the LQ being gen 3)

Last edited by mphudak; 02-06-2017 at 10:49 PM.
mphudak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #11
b-mac

"The basic LS variations use cast iron blocks, while performance editions are all aluminum with cast iron cylinder liners."

Well, I stand corrected. I always referred to the iron blocks as 'Votecs'.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
joedoh

its the same way everyone with a truck 4 bolt 350 from the 70s calls it a "corvette motor". technically, they have some of the same parts, and even sometimes the same block casting number, and all the parts interchange, but still a bit of a stretch to call it a corvette mill.

LQ LM LS, who cares? run what you have and be happy about it. You wont catch me calling a LQ an LS, mostly because it already has a two letter designator, but I am just an idiot 50% of the time anyway, nobody listens anyway. that whole family of motors really have tremendous potential

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote