The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #26
1968 baby blue C10

Re: Patina or Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby View Post
You've somehow taken offense to my post and I'm not sure why because I in no way directed my post at you or was even speaking about your truck in particular, and nowhere did I say your truck looks unfinished or like crap. I didn't say rust holes were "patina" I merely told you what Ive observed out at shows.

You asked for peoples opinions and I gave you mine. 6 others on this thread said paint it (including one that said your truck does look like crap but I guess its ok because he put a at the end) yet I somehow offended you when I said I wasn't a fan of patina.

Paint it, don't paint it whatever. Good luck with whatever direction you choose. As is your truck looks a hell of a lot better than mine does at the moment
What? I didn't take offense to your post. Re-read my post I pretty much agreed with you on some of your points. Why the heck does everyone always think I'm mad at them? These smiles faces don't help at all haha.
I just posted a picture of my truck as a reasonable reference.
Like the op said, I am not the op. Our trucks are 4 years apart and completely different colors. Did you look at the original post and my picture? (insert unhelpful smiley face here)
Anyways I fully support either choice he makes, I was just making a suggesting. Sheesh I need a nap now
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern

Last edited by 1968 baby blue C10; 04-23-2018 at 11:22 PM.
1968 baby blue C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #27
BlueChev72

I ended up doing rustoleum with an hvlp. This is the first coat of primer
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #28
jocko

Hey, comin along nicely - I think you made a good choice. I like an original, straight body patina as much as the next guy (and that's about the only way I like it), but I think this truck needed paint. Are you planning to address any bodywork? I couldn't really tell in post #1 if there was any or much rust, but rust ain't patina anyway () One thing that can really frustrate you in the long run (and stand out, but not in a good way) is fresh paint over a bunch of dents. You're clearly putting lots of work into this, would hate to see you disappointed afterward if the paint turns out nice but makes the dents and dings jump out at you. Ask me how I know Unfortunately, bodywork takes time and money, and most folks are missing at least one of those (if not both), so completely understand if you're gonna squirt and go as is and just make a more presentable daily driver than it was - nothing wrong with that at all. Just wanted to mention the 'painting over dents' thing in case you do have time to address some of them before you move further along - because now is the only chance to do it, might make you happier in the long run. Anyway, I like your truck a lot, looking forward to more pics as you progress.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #29
BlueChev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Hey, comin along nicely - I think you made a good choice. I like an original, straight body patina as much as the next guy (and that's about the only way I like it), but I think this truck needed paint. Are you planning to address any bodywork? I couldn't really tell in post #1 if there was any or much rust, but rust ain't patina anyway () One thing that can really frustrate you in the long run (and stand out, but not in a good way) is fresh paint over a bunch of dents. You're clearly putting lots of work into this, would hate to see you disappointed afterward if the paint turns out nice but makes the dents and dings jump out at you. Ask me how I know Unfortunately, bodywork takes time and money, and most folks are missing at least one of those (if not both), so completely understand if you're gonna squirt and go as is and just make a more presentable daily driver than it was - nothing wrong with that at all. Just wanted to mention the 'painting over dents' thing in case you do have time to address some of them before you move further along - because now is the only chance to do it, might make you happier in the long run. Anyway, I like your truck a lot, looking forward to more pics as you progress.
There was actually quite a bit of rust. I welded in new cab corners, and a couple of other patches, then did most of the dents with bondo. I purposely left a few dents so the truck could have some character, but I got all the ugly ones out. I’ll still need to go over with glazing putty in a few places before I recoat, it was hard to tell what I needed before the first primer coat.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #30
BlueChev72

Update- I got 2 coats of gloss white over the primer on the roof and between the trim pieces, then I taped off the white and put newspaper to cover it. I sprayed one coat of gloss royal blue this morning, and will spray another tongiht. I know Rustoleum isn’t generally considered the best paint, but for the price, it can give good results. I mixed it 8:8:1 with paint, acetone, and japan dryer, sprayed it on, and I think it’s coming out pretty good so far. I’ll post pics later once I get the second coat of blue on and take off the masking.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #31
OldBlue70C10

I actually just joined because of your posts. I've been lurking here a few weeks, and just had to comment. I have recently acquired my Grandpa's 1970 C10. He drove it, my grandmother drove it, my dad drove it, and my brother drove it in high school. My Dad was a mechanic, and had planned to fix her up and get her back on the road, even bought a bunch of parts. Sadly, he had early onset dementia, and passed away 4 years ago. My Mom has finally agreed to give me teh truck, and let me finish his dream. I am eagerly waiting to see your results, because this is exactly what I have been considering. Even the same colors, and scheme.
OldBlue70C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #32
BlueChev72

She’s mostly done- I got up early this morning, sprayed a second coat of blue, then started cleaning up the mess I had made around the truck. After it had a few hours to dry, I took off the masking, and I have to say it looks pretty good. The paint did peel with the masking in a couple of places, but I should be able to touch those areas up, plus they’ll also mostly be under the trim. I still need to put everything back together, and re-attach the bed, but I’d say it’s looking a whole lot better than when I started.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2018, 12:35 AM   #33
BlueChev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlue70C10 View Post
I actually just joined because of your posts. I've been lurking here a few weeks, and just had to comment. I have recently acquired my Grandpa's 1970 C10. He drove it, my grandmother drove it, my dad drove it, and my brother drove it in high school. My Dad was a mechanic, and had planned to fix her up and get her back on the road, even bought a bunch of parts. Sadly, he had early onset dementia, and passed away 4 years ago. My Mom has finally agreed to give me teh truck, and let me finish his dream. I am eagerly waiting to see your results, because this is exactly what I have been considering. Even the same colors, and scheme.
That sounds great! I’d go for it, although if it’s been in the family, I’d take the earlier suggestion and do a single stage urethane. Not that there’s anything wrong with what I used, but I’m not sure it’s ideal for a family heirloom. Of course, you can do what you want, and I wish you the best of luck. Whatever your choice, if it makes the truck better to you, it’s worth it.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #34
OldBlue70C10

That looks great! I probably will go with a single stage urethane, not sure yet. Mine was wrecked when my brother was in college. Someone ran a red light, and hit the door, door post and one side of the bed. No frame damage thank goodness. We drove it wrecked for a while, as a hunting truck, stuff like that. Then my dad had the body repaired, and its been sitting that way since. It's probably been parked under a tree for the last 10-15 yrs. It's sitting there with primer all over it. Hopefully as I get it out of the woods, and in my garage I don't find a lot of rust, doesnt appear to be too bad. But once its properly cleaned I may find more there. Thanks for you reply, and it looks great!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #35
OldBlue70C10

Oh, one more question for all you guys, what size compressor?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #36
BlueChev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlue70C10 View Post
Oh, one more question for all you guys, what size compressor?
I was using a harbor freight 8 gallon oiled compressor, but I also had it connected to a 5 gallon auxiliary tank. It kept up the whole time, and I never had to stop to let it charge. However, it was running constantly, so I would use a bigger compressor if I could.

P.S.- Make sure to drain the tank before you start. Also use a water separator.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #37
OldBlue70C10

Thanks! That's good info