The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
la hi

I need a narrow tire.

I put a two or three inch to long rear end in my 57 swb. (95 camaro) The tires will rub on the fenders. The tires are 235/75/15 on 15" rally rims that are 8" wide. I am looking for an easy solution and I have two possible solutions.
1. Go to a narrower tire, 215/60/15. I need about 2".
2. Raise the height of the bed to let the tire clear the fender.
3. Or both?

Any ideas?
la hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: I need a narrow tire.

Rims with less offset would be your best bet. If the rear is disk brake you may run into clearance issues though.

Jacked up with the tires sticking part way out of the opening will really give you that 70's look though. I can't find the photo of mine looking like that in the 70's

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
MiraclePieCo

That was my first thought: go to wheels with positive offset. They will move your tires in, and look more stylish than a jacked-up rear.
But if you want to explore different tire sizes go to TireSize.com for exact dimensions of every tire size:

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/235-75R15.htm

Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 05-26-2018 at 09:53 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
capnduane

(Jacked up with the tires sticking part way out of the opening will really give you that 70's look though) I resemble that remark! My truck is a late 60s/early 70s hotrod. Back when us poor kids didn't have much money and had to rely on a set of used big tires off a Caddy from the junkyard to get that raked look that was so cool back then!
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
joedoh

215/60/15 wouldnt fit an 8 inch wide wheel without a fight, and would look super ridiculous.

I am with miracle, get wheels with 2" less backspace. if you want rallies, just measure your current backspace (straightedge across back of rim, measure from straightedge to wheel mounting surface) and subtract 2.

backspace is different on different width wheels too, so a 4" backspace 8" wheel may not fit, but a 4" backspace 6" wheel might. so stick with the same widths or at least try to understand how they are interrelated.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
la hi

I failed to mention. My front wheel lug holes are almost all the way to the street side. The rear have a 3-4" set back from the street to the lug holes.

I swapped them to see if two new rims would work. I have the tire just rubbing the fender.
Sorry that I do not know the proper terminology. However this is a hot rod, not a show truck.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
la hi

I just went to the shop and remeasured the distance from the floor to the top of the tire and from the floor to the fender opening

Floor to top of tire 28"
Floor to top of fender opening lip 23"
Floor to bottom of bed in the rear 20"
Floor to bottom of fender at rear 14"
I am back to a year or so ago, wider fender would work but not practical.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by la hi View Post
I failed to mention. My front wheel lug holes are almost all the way to the street side. The rear have a 3-4" set back from the street to the lug holes.

I swapped them to see if two new rims would work. I have the tire just rubbing the fender.
Sorry that I do not know the proper terminology. However this is a hot rod, not a show truck.
your terminology is fine we can understand what you are saying. you are measuring (estimating) frontspace.

the shortest and least painful way to solve your problem is to buy a wheel with 2 inches more backspace. if that looks wonky to you, and it probably will, the second least painful way is to change the rearend. make sure you get one that is only as narrow as you need or you will run into the opposite problem with the tires hitting the bed sides. in fact, maybe measure that distance now so you know how how much narrower you can go. the last option would be to narrow the rear end you have or widen your fenders.

a lot of building is getting it "right", not just solving problems. believe me if you solve a problem the fast way you will be able to point it out to anyone that doesnt notice it right away, and there wont be many of those people. with that in mind my advice is to either find a narrower rearend or have yours narrowed exactly as much as it needs. neither is the cheapest option but both will look better than a high positive offset rear wheel or a skinny little tire or even widening the fenders.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

^^^[in fact, maybe measure that distance now so you know how how much narrower you can go.the last option would be to narrow the rear end you have or widen your fenders. ]
[with that in mind my advice is to either find a narrower rearend or have yours narrowed exactly as much as it needs.]
[a lot of building is getting it "right",]^^^

what I was thinking as well

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
_Ogre

i run P235/70R15 on 86 trans am 62" wide rear axle, similar rear axle to yours
first off you are running extreme deep dish wheels with little offset, i believe mine are 4'' offset
second you have no tubs to run that wide of a tire, consider mini-tubs in the bedsides
truk is on stock springs and stock spring hangers, with the axle flipped on top of the springs
your wheels look at least one inch less offset than mine

granted i don't have much space between the fender lip and tire, but it never rubs
to change tires i have to jack up the frame, remove the lugs and wiggle the tire out from between the fender lip and disk brake
it works
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer

Last edited by _Ogre; 05-28-2018 at 06:30 PM.
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
_Ogre

consider mini-tubbing the bed

i used a jigsaw to cut an arched opening in the bedside and used the cutout piece to make the tubs
by reusing the cutout it kept the bed profile in the tubs
10 gauge metal 3 inches wide filled in the gap, made for easy welding with no warpage
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
weim55

The rally wheels you show in your picture look to be the same as 68-79 vette 15x8. These have the most negative ( toward the outside )offset of any factory rally wheel. Factory 70-75 15 x 7 monte Carlo rally wheels would fit your current tires just fine and give you 2-3 inches toward the inside easy. These wheels are not rare at all, likely to be on craigslist most of the time.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited by weim55; 05-27-2018 at 10:46 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote