The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
Question bags vs. springs????

Well I was wondering when I would get to this point(like I don’t have enough going on… I want to go and start another project)….I need to know which way to go…

I want to lower my 70 LWB, I want to know which frame I should use, and what method springs and spindles or bags.

I want a 4/6 drop and I will probably run 17’s. I don’t want to lay frame or hop it around.

My friends are split with which way I should go. I have never ridden in a bagged truck. I have only actually ridden in a lowered (springs) cavalier and it is kinda rough.

I want to go the route that will give me the best ride and handling. I don’t expect the ride of a luxury car…. For that matter anything would be better than what I’m used to. And which will be the most economical.

Here’s my options:

I have the 70 lwb frame with rear coils.

I also have a 72 lwb frame with leafs

Any way I go, I will use the front discs and convert the rear to 5 lug

Should I bag it or spring it?

Thanks,
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
SCOTI

For the rear, on coil trucks the bags would be the easy way to go & they are adjustable, but the initial set-up would cost more than just drop coils. The bags will ride better/smoother.

The leafs will tow a load w/increased stability because they are located farther out on the frame/rear end.... but clearance becomes an issue when lowered. You could add an air-helper kit to the leaf set-up for adjustability, but when all is said & done it would prob cost more than just swapping coils to bags in the first place.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
Suicide-D

ok

Say I want to go with the 72 leaf sprung frame... mainly because it has a posi rear end and the front discs... I was going to attempt to move everything to the coil rear... but that is way more work.

is there a flip kit for the 72 rear? all i see on the net is 73 and up?

I really didnt want to pony up the cash to buy drop leafs..

I wanted to keep this under 500.00 but it looks like that is too low of a budget to get what I want ( the front will eat up more than half my budget)
Old 01-06-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
SCOTI

The main difference in the 73/later leafs is the width. You could try Early Classics or Classic Perf Parts & see what they offer or.... make your own flip kit.

Buy a kit for the later rear & modify the axle re-locating perches if they won't work. You could prob just chopsaw them in half, grind the 2 halves square (and to the correct leaf spring width) & get them re-welded. If your doing all the other work it shouldn't be beyond your abilities. Just something to consider.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Suicide-D

I found a DJM flip kit for the 72. I will have to go measure my leafs to see if they are 2.25" but I can do that this weekend. I'll keep the cutting and welding it back up in mind if that kit won't do it. Thanks... now to get started