The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2003, 11:50 PM   #1
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

Need roll bar ideas-any ideas or pics?!?

I am going to have my hubby fabricate a roll bar for the blazer. I would like it to be safe for people in the front and back, but I don't really like the FULL cage idea. Would my family be safe if I am driving with the top on, but without a roll bar with my kids in the back?
Anyone have roll bar pics or ideas PLEASE!

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:08 AM   #2
Paul72

I have seen our gen Blazers roll over with the top on and seem to have pretty good strength - meaning they don't crush right away. Depending on the crash, I'm sure they fall apart eventually.

I've drawn up some sketches for a roll bar for mine. If I make one, I'm going to have it go thru the floor and weld to the frame. Otherwise it's only as strong as the floor sheet metal.

No pics. Sorry!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:57 AM   #3
blazer1971

Ask 2wdBlazer about the back area. I rolled a 69 4wd blazer with a double wall top. I was pulling a moving trlr when the trlr came off rolling the blazer. I went flying out the drivers side window that was down and ended up about 50 feet away with a broken back. I landed on my back and I could see my blazer in the air with all four wheels pointing towards the sky and my family still in it. It landed about twenty feet from me in a water filled ditch on all fours. My wife little bruised in the front seat and 2wdBlazer and his brother in the back. We had pillows and blankets in the back not a rear seat. Also in the back was an ice cooler and a metal tool box and a tv. So ask 2wdBlazer about the ride in a roll over.
Top held up and everyone just bruised and battered. Me, just a broken back and over 200 fireant bites, after landing on the nest and could not move. Had to wait for two rescue vehicles, one crew could not carry this limp 6-2 250lb across the water filled ditch. The first crew consisted of a male and female and I don't think they weighed 200 lbs together even with their pockets filled with ditch water. Thus the ant bites.
blazer1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
2wdBlazer
The Blazer King

Quote:
Originally posted by blazer1971
Ask 2wdBlazer about the back area. I rolled a 69 4wd blazer with a double wall top. I was pulling a moving trlr when the trlr came off rolling the blazer. I went flying out the drivers side window that was down and ended up about 50 feet away with a broken back. I landed on my back and I could see my blazer in the air with all four wheels pointing towards the sky and my family still in it. It landed about twenty feet from me in a water filled ditch on all fours. My wife little bruised in the front seat and 2wdBlazer and his brother in the back. We had pillows and blankets in the back not a rear seat. Also in the back was an ice cooler and a metal tool box and a tv. So ask 2wdBlazer about the ride in a roll over.
Top held up and everyone just bruised and battered. Me, just a broken back and over 200 fireant bites, after landing on the nest and could not move. Had to wait for two rescue vehicles, one crew could not carry this limp 6-2 250lb across the water filled ditch. The first crew consisted of a male and female and I don't think they weighed 200 lbs together even with their pockets filled with ditch water. Thus the ant bites.

Yeah, That was a scary ride. I think it may have been a different story if we ended upside down in that ditch. Not sure how that top would have held up with an impact like that.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:48 PM   #5
cheyenne10

roll bars

To me ROLLBAR = NECK INSURANCE

At least bolt roll bar to floor with some type of gusset plate under floor to clamp to. Best ones are thru floor and welded/attached to frame but for quiet dialy drivers not always practical.

I put a Smitty built 6 point cage in my 77 Br**co right after I bought it 20 years ago. Still hope to put in 4 point seat belts when I put it back on the road someday. Its been up on blocks for 8 years. I would not trust these removeable tops to stay above the doors on serious rollover. Just think of how many stress cracks are in most of these tops!!
Old 11-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

The top may help when it is on, but in the Pacific Northwest, we like to take advantage of the sun when we can and remove our tops! I would definately put in a roll bar, if not a full cage that covers the back area.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:44 AM   #7
K5KRAZIE

I have a cage in mine that the seats mount to but it does not cover the rear passengers. IMO the Smittybuilt bar and front kit would be a good starting point for you.........

'72 K5
'06 mega dually
K5KRAZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:33 AM   #8
72k5

I have the Smittybuilt full cage in mine. Smitty does a good job of making the kit mount to the floor where the OE reinforcements are underneath (if they haven't rusted away in the last 30 years).

I know you're leaning against the front and rear cage, but one thing I like about the full cage is I believe that it adds strength to the front section (I seldom have anybody in the back). I think that it would be harder to crush the front section backward, and it also would be harder to push the whole thing through the floorboards in a crash.

Don't forget to consider head clearance and good high density padding where needed. You might not live to see how well it held up if you smash your brain on a bar during the crash.

Mike